Stable RX 580 Overclock

Go to solution Solved by HolyDori,

Hello everyone, so I have some results. I was able to get stable with the following settings. I was able to maintain full sessions of gaming on Ultra / Maxed settings like BF1, Rainbow Six Siege, Insurgency, and GTA V. I still be playing around with the wattage that way its super fine tuned and not getting more or less than needed. 

Clock - 1410 MHz 

Voltage - 1175 mV

Memory Clock - 2000 MHz

Memory Voltage - 950 mV

Limit Power - 130%

image.thumb.png.5269a7c790d8a77d738ff4077e1fc100.png

With this particular card seems the only thing that makes it unstable is:

Clock Speed - 1420 MHz and higher

Memory Clock - Anything after 2000 MHz caused immediate particles artifacts in the Wattman software after hitting apply.

However before I was able to achieve, but wasn't stable after 5 mins of gaming 

Clock Speed - 1435 MHz 

Memory Clock - 2050-2100 MHz 

Thank you again for your time and help, its always fun to see what the GPU is capable of although I plan on getting an Vega 64 or wait for the new 7nm Navi or Vega graphics cards.

HolyDori,

Hello LinusTech Community,

Hope you all are well. I wanted to get a little help on overclocking my graphics card. Or finding the best solution to overclock properly. 

My Hardware:

Asus ROG Strix RX580 8GB OC Edition

image.png.7e104b740831ab2a82e4fae9a3ea2d1e.png

Notes:

a) I currently am using 'Global Wattman' the default overclocking software that is included in Radeon Setting. It may not be the BEST solution but however it may be. But I am wanting to keep extra software to a minimal if not necessary.

b) I also have installed AI Suite 3 to control mostly my chassis fans in PWM mode.

3) Both of these software suites are literally stock that came with the hardware im pretty subtle with this, less multiple running software id like. 

Questions:
1) Have any of you achieve a pretty high stable overclock or good stable overclock with Wattman or any other software?

2) I would at least like to achieve 1400-1425 MHz would it be possible with this specific Asus RX580 card?

Thank you guys for taking the time to provide information and feedback. ❤

Holy,

1 minute ago, HolyDori said:

1400mhz should be easy, 1500mhz is the golden sample range

just set your voltage to 1.2V and try for 1450mhz

don't forget that memory power is shared though I think, so if you go heavy on the core you may not get as far on the memory speed.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I would say 1425 is a good clockspeed to overclock to

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

1400mhz should be easy, 1500mhz is the golden sample range

just set your voltage to 1.2V and try for 1450mhz

don't forget that memory power is shared though I think, so if you go heavy on the core you may not get as far on the memory speed.

The Voltage control for this card goes to 1199 for (mV)

2 minutes ago, HolyDori said:

The Voltage control for this card goes to 1199 for (mV)

Which is basically 1.2V anyways

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Which is basically 1.2V anyways

Would my CPU and RAM help supplement or assist on a more stable overclock?

33 minutes ago, HolyDori said:

Would my CPU and RAM help supplement or assist on a more stable overclock?

has nothing to do with your GPU overclocking

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

has nothing to do with your GPU overclocking

I am following the instructions that you provided in the video, but I have one issue. 3D Mark Stress test is not free, and when I run benchmarks instead it runs in Fullscreen as well so I cant monitor GPUz or Wattman even keeping them on top.

14 minutes ago, HolyDori said:

I am following the instructions that you provided in the video, but I have one issue. 3D Mark Stress test is not free, and when I run benchmarks instead it runs in Fullscreen as well so I cant monitor GPUz or Wattman even keeping them on top.

You can just run a game in the background or something at very high settings to stress the GPU

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

You can just run a game in the background or something at very high settings to stress the GPU

Alrighty perfect ill let you know results :) thank you again 

Just now, HolyDori said:

Alrighty perfect ill let you know results :) thank you again 

There's also some other benchmarks of course
https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Spoiler

Hello everyone, so I have some results. I was able to get stable with the following settings. I was able to maintain full sessions of gaming on Ultra / Maxed settings like BF1, Rainbow Six Siege, Insurgency, and GTA V. I still be playing around with the wattage that way its super fine tuned and not getting more or less than needed. 

Clock - 1410 MHz 

Voltage - 1175 mV

Memory Clock - 2000 MHz

Memory Voltage - 950 mV

Limit Power - 130%

image.thumb.png.5269a7c790d8a77d738ff4077e1fc100.png

With this particular card seems the only thing that makes it unstable is:

Clock Speed - 1420 MHz and higher

Memory Clock - Anything after 2000 MHz caused immediate particles artifacts in the Wattman software after hitting apply.

However before I was able to achieve, but wasn't stable after 5 mins of gaming 

Clock Speed - 1435 MHz 

Memory Clock - 2050-2100 MHz 

Thank you again for your time and help, its always fun to see what the GPU is capable of although I plan on getting an Vega 64 or wait for the new 7nm Navi or Vega graphics cards.

HolyDori,

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping, but I managed to get my GIGABYTE RX 580 8G Core Clock to 1435 and memory clock to 2025, it seems stable

image.png.0f28b0b0f2b4b9dc64781bc4ee0bffa1.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is how I run mine while it's folding. Seems stable. Stock cooler with a big fan pointed at the open side cover :)

Capture.PNG

EDIT: I don't think you should do this. It's probably not stable doing anything else. I didn't touch the memory clock.

Edited by conorabc
added note about not doing this

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got 1475Mhz clock speed and 2250 memory. Gigabyte model.

bump...

Xfx 580 8gb model black edition.. bought from bestbuy.. samsung memory on it.. factory.. 1405/2000..... OCd to 1495mhz at 1200mv .. and 2250mem at 1195mv .. power limit +50.. an runs stable.. noticed when i hit 1500mhz i started to have random crashes..

temps stayed the same as before as long as you change your fan settings to go up to 100% at around 50 degrees C. so that they kick up and start jamming well before it gets hot and then it runs at around 60-70C. and stays there for hours of gaming.. so as of now. no issues.. but.. id love to get a 5700XT.. but waiting to see what happens.. since AMD is looking more promising when using vulkan . and dx12 but im seeing great thingswith vulkan vs dx12. like breakpoint on dx12 isnt even playable but on vulkan its on highest settings and im hittin 58-66fps ? before i couldnt get above 20 on highest settings.. i dont get it .  

Made an account on this site just so I could reply to this lol. None the less:

My specs:

ASUS TUF B450M PlusGaming MOBO

Ryzen 5 3400G @ 4.1GHz (solid...No boost and as high as I can seem to OC.....)

Gskill Flair X 16GB RAM F4 3200CL14 (8GB x2)

Corsair TX-750-M 80 Plus Bronze PSU

MSI Armour 8GB OC RX580 GPU

---------------------

Have a stable OC on this GPU using MSI Afterburner

Core Voltage (mV) +100

Power Limit (%) +50
Temp Limit (C) 90

Core Clock (MHz) 1450

Mem Clock (MHz) 2000 

I adjusted my fan curve only to hit 70% fan power at 75 degrees Cels. and 100% if 81.

I hit max 76 degrees under load using MSI Kombustor x64 using Bun-In Mode/FullScreen/1920-1080

I havnt bothered to run kombustor for longer than 3 hours right now, as anything higher in core clock seems to crash the clock within 3 minutes or less. I'll work on lowering the power (if I can) to see if I can lower it. But i mean I don't see a big need too.

I've tried going over 1450, but the best I could do was 1473 before the crashing started. I knew I could get 1450 stable so I started there. I ran Kombustor at pretty much max settings and about every 3 minuts I would up the clock by 1 MHz. I did this for just about an hour and 20 minutes and got as high as the afromentioned 1473 clock speed. Crashed. But as I kept backing down the clock speed, nothing would work for longer than 3 minutes in the burn in mode. Until I got back to 1450.

As far as performance and overclocking goes with this card anyway -Unless you override the voltage of 1.2v max - You're not getting more than 1450. MAYYYYYYYYYYBE 1466 MHz if you get a well made card.

Hope this helps someone

• 2 months later...

I have the rx580 nitro+, it has 1410 MHz base clock it is stable at 1510 MHz i have gone all the way up to 1540 MHz with it being stable i don't have the power supply to run it at that speed while gaming tho. I just run it at base clock, have have no need for a overclock

On 6/25/2020 at 8:43 AM, lollion5 said:

I have the rx580 nitro+, it has 1410 MHz base clock it is stable at 1510 MHz i have gone all the way up to 1540 MHz with it being stable i don't have the power supply to run it at that speed while gaming tho. I just run it at base clock, have have no need for a overclock

Hi I have the same card but managed to get it to 14750 stable. Do you mind sharing your OC settings? Did you move the bios switch to the right?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have an xfx model and I have it at 1465 MHz at 1185 V with the mem at 2100. Power limit is 150%

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same GPU with the OP and I manage to overclock mine to 1460 MHz for the GPU clock and 2250 MHz for the Mem clock

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-1650 V2
GPU - Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 O8G Gaming OC Edition GDDR5
RAM - 16 GB (8 slots, 2 GB each slot) DDR3 RAM

Edit September 29, 2020:
I decreased it to 1420 MHz for the GPU clock, after playing Ace Combat 7 with the previous value, it forced shut down my PC.
And still have a problem though, even at 1420 MHz, after playing Genshin Impact for 5 hours, my PC forced shut down again but not like last time where it only lasts for an hour. Core Voltage was on default so, that's probably the problem, but a helpful answer from others would be appreciated

How are your temps so low? Mine running stock idles at 50. I have the msi armor 8gb oc edition. I did a slight overclock to 1420 with mem at 2100mhz and idles at 53 Maybe bad airflow. I’ll have to check side panel off vs side panel on. 

• 2 months later...

image.thumb.png.f4da15cf98520e27d3723af542a008b4.pngi was able to achieve this with a Asus Dual RX 580 O4G with temp in fire strike about 70 degrees

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)