LTX 2019 Suggestions!

CPotter
1 hour ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@CPotter

Since you are going big time in regards to the venue and sponsorship, I think you should make a TV style commercial for LTX19. I'd personally like to see you remake something like this but obviously in an LTT way... 

Lol I'm down, let's do it @STERPH

• 2 weeks later...

// Off Topic @CPotter

-- Any idea when Tickets will be available?
-- Are autographed LTT shirts going to be a thing?

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:13 AM, Benjer2023 said:

Please hold it in the US. Most people don't want to/can't drive to Canada. Even in Seattle, it is much more reasonable than Vancouver.

I don't agree. My trip to LTX 2018 was my first time in Canada and It was well worth the several thousand miles flight.  I can't wait to spend an entire week there instead of just a single day.

Flying to Seattle might be easier for you, but it's not easier for LMG.

Where did you get data about "Most people"  did you do a survey, because I didn't get to participate?

I would like sponsor booths so I could buy some items from LTT's sponsors like Corsair and Savage Jerky.    

Follow up to my first post:
1. Movie Night -- Portable Projector Project BUT We MUST watch Hackers!

2. On site AMA

3. Roast your Fav. LTT member

4. Tim Horton's Coffee, Doughnuts, And Hot Chocolate. 

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

On 11/14/2018 at 10:47 AM, CPotter said:

Yo!

We've already got a thread started for Floatplane members, but @STERPH, myself and the rest of the team here are beginning to plan out what we want next year's LTX to look like. We've combed through reviews and ran a survey which yielded us a bunch of useful information, but we wanted to post here as well. Let us know if you guys have any suggestions for what you'd like to see at next years event.

This can be in the form of booth suggestions, activities, partnerships, etc. :) Appreciate it!

Please keep it in Vancouver! it makes it easier for you guys and I think it is great that it is in Linus’s home town.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:47 AM, PiGHamM3R said:

His last name is Sebastian :) Not Torvalds.

------

Anyway -- I unfortunately missed the last 2 events and I only can guess at the many things that was present, but here's my input:

1. Special Guest Star -- Nick Van Berkel

> We all miss Nicky V and his Nicky V Customs skit, it was enjoyable and fun to watch. Depending on how soon death of the Lambo comes, I'd say bring him along for the ride and have him co-host the video and make it "One last video for CSF". Speaking of such destruction, may I suggest "DriveTanks.com" - They're in Texas, but they WILL let you drive tanks, not sure about running things over (I've not been there yet). Perhaps having him at LTX afterwards to personally showcase the destruction/video; and maybe co-host that week's WAN show too, but make it the NAW show.. or Afterparty. ;)

2. I'm not sure how involved JayzTwoCents and BSMods were, but I'd like to see the two come together and give hands-on demonstrations of how to mod your case and stuff, "Delidded with Roman (der8auer)" would be GREAT to see.

3. The first LTT video I ever watched was Linus and Luke on the WAN Show Archive, dressed up like Clowns, been a fan ever since. I'm not sure where I'm going with this idea, but it's an idea.

4. On more of the logistics side, I'd like to see a list of hotels that you all recommend along with transportation to/from the 2 day event.

5. Linus Autographed Drop Test & Give Away ??? 

6. Adult (18/19+) "Chill" event, BYOB. Bonfire & Movie (Drive-In Movie Theater style)

7. Laser Engraving -- not operated by us peasants:  But give us the ability to bring something or have something there that we can purchase and get engraved for our rig or whatnot. I'd laugh if someone was being a troll doing it and put a dick-butt on my stuff instead.

Thanks!

i like 7... something affordable though... that you would actually loose money by selling it that cheap... but it should have a crazy(linus inspired) design, small enough to be a keychain or something to put on your desk. i saw a vid that you liked a crowbar. give us your own version of a crowbar! tag it under advertising cost :D 

On 12/6/2018 at 3:16 PM, jampog said:

I agree! i think if you do your youtube analyzing thingy you would see you have fans all over the world but of course it would be very expensive and might be extremely unfair to those who went there... it would be awkward if you give the ride for free if you don't give that person some freebies as well when he arrives... so it would create problems on what items you give to the people who are there already... I don't think this would be a problem though if what linus was saying on the wifey aniv thingy was true you got one bigshot already...

btw what is linus last name? i feel weird calling him by his first for some reason lol

Anyways, my suggestion though is from what i heard from previous ltx is you don't have something big/event happening... it is just extremely fun... It might be good to announce/start segments created by your employees on ltx... I think your trying to find your new partner in crime given he went to float... aside from the tech dude one... it looks like linus is a really great boss so why not build up on that by introducing his people more with their own segments... I am not sure if he really is for i have not worked there yet but I am really buying it so I really like watching him do things with different people in the company... I like someone who he trust who would really disagree with him just for the sake of disagreeing... don't want that dude leaving to create his own channel though cuz i enjoy the channel as it is

A segment you could start though(dunno if your doing this already) is building a bnew pc that you suggest everyone buy at ltx 2019... then every next ltx you upgrade a part of it untli you can't upgrade it anymore. So basically find a long time partner to start with. I suggest a psu brand or hdd(seagate fan). I heard they have around 5 years warranty so you basically don't need to change it. Depending on how many people buy the initial unit on 2019, it might be easier for you to look for a sponsor next year given how many might be upgrading with you. You can force your fan base too by making the machine some sort of trophy or achievement every year. Given I have a budget and how much i just believe most of you opinions, i would buy that no questions asked. Especially if you bring it with a discount. Being a part of something, on top of getting the best bang for your buck would be really easy to sell. Might wanna cash in by integrating your ltt straps your selling :D For those who can't come though like me, I would have the tendency of just following what your building by buying on stores local to us. Cuz if theres a problem, i can just go here and ask for I am sure you are obliged to answer or other people can help me. Who knows, this can be your test to see if you can manage to have another sister company selling prebuild computers. I know it might create bias but given how you criticize other people, you should be able to do a better job :)) or ask the boss lady hihi... really liked that video :D 

sorry i talk too much... hope that helps -_-

saw you had dreamhack as a partner!

so i thought, why can't normal people create their own dreamhack on their own homes. Maybe they do, but my dreams have not reached that for so I haven't googled it or came across a video about it. 5 man cheap dreamhack setup... i know you gain more views with the op pc like the 10k pc you just opened(didnt know prices can reach that high) but give us peasants something to dream and aim for. A five man setup that can be done in the living room, i would say kitchen cuz most of your videos are there but a living room would feel more real. wire management, internet speed, extention cords, monitors, pillows as seats, etc. whatever makes it work or tell us its not doable... dunno...

also regarding the suggestion of introducing your people to have segments... it seems your doing it already... one video though i didn't like is the amazon basics one... i don't want to see mr. sebastian out harrased by someone... does not feel right... i was more interested on why is he out annoying him than checking out what amazon is selling. And i was really interested to know about amazon basics. Sorry I am bad and lazy with names, but i think your old camera guy, the asian one (who is not that wacky one) can create good videos with you. As well as the new canadian one I think, i just saw a video with him giving inputs and he sounded good. I like their "aura." They look and sound pleasant to me :D

A looong time lurker-  but I'm a Vancouver-based fulltime live-events professional and *this* prompted me to post- please if this is far too ranty, by all means get rid of it, but oof this sort of talk drives me bonkers. 

Please hold it in the US. Most people don't want to/can't drive to Canada. Even in Seattle, it is much more reasonable than Vancouver.

1. Holding events in the US only makes sense for a Canadian company if their merch is already handled in the US- which is why a lot of Canadian content creators partner with US distributing companies to handle their merch.

2. "Don't want to or Can't drive" are two different issues- You have six months to get a passport, considering you can get one in less than 14 days if you pay enough, this isn't a massive financial burden. The cost of attending any convention factors into anyone's desire to attend- the event creator determined Vancouver to be it's home. 

3. Don't kid yourself, Vancouver's Convention Center is consistently ranked as one of the best in the world and is the largest in the pacific northwest- you can fit the entirety of PAX West in both the West and East buildings(minus the Benaroya at this point) and still have four hotels literally across the street with another 100k square feet of event space.  By all rights, PAX West should move to a larger space, but they're not because Seattle is home for PA and have stated that explicitly for years. 

4. Flights to Vancouver/Seattle are pretty comparable- again you have six months to figure it out. 

5. Exhibitors don't care at all if an event is in Canada or not-there are expos in Vancouver every week in nearly every industry. Conventions often switch up locations because they're not tied to a specific area- more to a discipline. Pop-culture conventions like LTX, PAX or SDCC are more tied to specific locations because that's generally the best way of making it work when it comes time for staffing and relying on their network to pull it off. 

Exhibitors care about the venue and if there are hotels nearby. They care about the venue because it informs them what sort of services(freight handling, inhouse AV services, Power, other rentable space) they have access to. That isn't to say that the VCC isn't alone in this, but when the VCC has a massive reputation as being one of the best venues on the continent to handle major events- it makes their lives a lot easier. 

On 11/14/2018 at 1:47 PM, CPotter said:

Yo!

We've already got a thread started for Floatplane members, but @STERPH, myself and the rest of the team here are beginning to plan out what we want next year's LTX to look like. We've combed through reviews and ran a survey which yielded us a bunch of useful information, but we wanted to post here as well. Let us know if you guys have any suggestions for what you'd like to see at next years event.

This can be in the form of booth suggestions, activities, partnerships, etc. :) Appreciate it!

This is a very minute suggestion but seeing more Youtubers will be awesome if you can have them on. Personal favorites would be Jay, Steve, Kyle, Paul, HardwareCanucks etc. And have a late night WAN show with them all on stage. (I know Linus will be at the Back Street concert but we could have Luke and Riley host)

One idea I had was to do a live stream of the event with Linus and others building a high end PC.  This PC will be built to auction off for the charity of your choice at the end of the event or possibly sell tickets at $20 a piece for a chance to win it.  I am sure you could get vendors in on something like this in no time.   Another idea is to invite another you tuber to a speed build challenge and then both are auctioned or raffled off.  Great content along with helping out the community.   The winner can choose the charity.

Mark

Because I won't be able to attend, I'd like to see coverage of the event like you would do at CES. With individual, live booth interviews, etc...

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, InsertNameHere42 said:

You guys should do a ticket giveaway, so those who cannot pay the $500 trip to BC, and the $500 ticket, Plus Passports. Why is it so Frikin expensive??

You have six months to save and get a passport.  If you really want to go you'll find a way.  Have you gone on a trip before?
$500 ticket?  My ticket for the event wasn't $500 or anywhere close to it. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, CPotter said:

We're devising a new ticket tier for LTX that is kind of close to what you're describing here. We can't do something in the parking lot anymore, there are too many people, but maybe office tours or something along those lines. :P 

An office tour would be awesome!

I'm a Vancouver local who runs and participates in a lot of the small scale LANs that happen around here. Most of the big LANs that happen around here (LANcouver, Gottacon, and LANtasy) have fallen by the wayside due to sponsors pulling out, so hearing that there's going to be a Dreamhack event here was incredible news. Didn't necessarily have any suggestions as Dreamhack knows damn well how to run a BYOC, but just wanted to chime in and say the competitive scene around Vancouver and BC have been looking forward to having an event to play and compete at for a while. I'm sure there's an announcement schedule, but the sooner we know the game tournaments and ticket prices, the sooner we can start forming teams and scrimming!

Actually, thinking back to LANtasy a couple years back, they had a segment at the LAN called "Show us your junk", where they walked the LAN floor and looked for the person using the absolute worst rig, then gave them a top of the line custom PC. That was both hilarious and awesome as far as giveaways went.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:55 PM, PiGHamM3R said:

Roast your Fav. LTT member

LTT Roasts would be amazing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 11/14/2018 at 5:13 PM, Benjer2023 said:

I think the same thing can be said about the US. I would venture a guess that this is the exact reason why large expos and events are often held in different cities, rarely returning to the same one for a few years. It has a very good probability of boosting attendance as I'm certain there are thousands of people aside from the few with overnight carry-ons down in Seattle, with a burning desire to attend an event like this.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, Aiden~Senpai said:

I agree with both of these so far, the PC speed building sounds interesting (although potentially expensive) maybe build a really cheap PC and the winner gets a good one, and having the convention in a northern US area, even Seattle, would make it much easier for people to get there (especially considering we won't have to hassle with passports, although this brings up the problem to the Canadian audience wishing to attend)

THANK YOU AIDEN-SENPAI! 

I have to question, who really gets the better deal if it's held in Vancouver?

Yes, our neighbours from the United States of America have to worry about their passports travel and accommodations.  Take a look at the other direction of travel, see anything familiar?

Most importantly, (IMHO) the VERY unstable and impulsive political situation in the bottom half of North America make it less desirable for a great many reasons - Especially if the Expo booths, swag, and other goods are comprised of over 20% foreign content.  If everything is put together in America, shipped from Canada, and injection-molded or printed in a Pan/Pacific Asian country we might be able to sneak it past the officials monitoring the wall between east and west Ger....   ACK I mean North and South? 

Hoping to bring stuff from the office is a valid reason solved by third party Logistics or Migrant Caravans.

Also just really quickly can you define the everyone would find it easier, or is it just you?

No I'm not bitter about not having CES, in Vancouver the thought that comdex is dead or the fact that American greenbacks have more buying power up here.  Things of significance actually cost less down there but you'd get a chance to visit your Canadian relatives not to mention that a bit of a stay gives you a wealth of Duty free credits.

One thing I've always dreamed of was sitting in a reclining chair, drinking an adult beverage and listening/watching the WAN Show live next to the camera... Audience Style, with "Clap" and "Silence" signs... then laughing my ass off when someone eats Ghost Reaper Jerky...

So: WAN Show with Audience presence??? Cam over audience to hosts as the hosts arrive *late* (But Linus Mean Time covers that, so w/e... I'm getting a "Who's Line is it Anyway?" vibe from that though)

I heard that you guys will be doing audio comparisons with all the headsets Linus has which I'm totally interested in. What about the same for keyboards? Mx blue vs red vs brown etc. Maybe throw some oddballs in there like Razer's green switches and some that aren't cherry mx? I'd be so interested in that!

I don't know how feasible this is, or if many people would be interested, but some sort of racing or flying sim booth would be cool! Maybe even do an LTT video about it, "the ultimate driving-flying cockpit setup".

The following contains quite possibly bad ideas about the design of such a setup, you have been warned:

Spoiler

The design might involve having a racing wheel and pedals on a track, as well as a yoke and rudder pedals on the track, so they are easily swappable to go from driving to flying. Gear lever and yoke switching system to the side? Plus a computer and monitor setup to finish it all off? Everything would lock on the tracks to keep it secure during play, but have a quick release to switch the mode out.

Also, I'd vote X-Plane 11 for flight, Forza Mototsport 7 or Horizon 4 for racing :).

P.S. I saw CPotter say there was a floatplane thread for LTX19 suggestions. Is it only avaliable for forum floatplane users or if those who signed up through the floatplane website can access it, how?

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

On 12/21/2018 at 6:23 PM, PiGHamM3R said:

// Off Topic @CPotter

-- Any idea when Tickets will be available?
-- Are autographed LTT shirts going to be a thing?

Hopefully late February, I will make sure to do a dedicated post here and through social media once we have the details locked down.

You'll have to get everyone to autograph your t-shirt, but we might offer a few pre-signed shirts for a fee and donate to charity at the merch booth.

21 hours ago, OJTheAviator said:

I don't know how feasible this is, or if many people would be interested, but some sort of racing or flying sim booth would be cool! Maybe even do an LTT video about it, "the ultimate driving-flying cockpit setup".

The following contains quite possibly bad ideas about the design of such a setup, you have been warned:

Reveal hidden contents

P.S. I saw CPotter say there was a floatplane thread for LTX19 suggestions. Is it only avaliable for forum floatplane users or if those who signed up through the floatplane website can access it, how?

Can't say anything yet but we have a booth idea that involves the following things: cameras, RC cars, VR, and a cockpit...

On 1/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, PiGHamM3R said:

One thing I've always dreamed of was sitting in a reclining chair, drinking an adult beverage and listening/watching the WAN Show live next to the camera... Audience Style, with "Clap" and "Silence" signs... then laughing my ass off when someone eats Ghost Reaper Jerky...

So: WAN Show with Audience presence??? Cam over audience to hosts as the hosts arrive *late* (But Linus Mean Time covers that, so w/e... I'm getting a "Who's Line is it Anyway?" vibe from that though)

Not sure what the setup will look like, but plan on moving WAN Show that week to the weekend so we can do it at LTX.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:12 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

LTT Roasts would be amazing.

Funny you should mention this, we haven't officially announced it but we're hosting an actual "Linus Roast" event in a few months, sponsored by Madrinas Coffee and our LTT Roast. :P 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, lilantny said:

Because I won't be able to attend, I'd like to see coverage of the event like you would do at CES. With individual, live booth interviews, etc...

We'll be livestreaming quite a bit of the event this year.

Did I miss anything? @STERPH

46 minutes ago, CPotter said:

Can't say anything yet but we have a booth idea that involves the following things: cameras, RC cars, VR, and a cockpit... 

Awesome! So glad I'm going this year!

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

48 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

Awesome! So glad I'm going this year!

Grats, feel free to pick me up and stow me away in your suitcase or something :D

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!