Looking for a waterproof tablet

Hello

I owned a Sony Xperia Tablet Z (first generation). I was very satisfied with it, one specific feature was its IP55-/IP57 certification so it was mostly waterproof. Unlucky me I broke it. So I tried replacing it - but Sony seems to have stopped selling tablets years ago ?

So I'm looking for a 10" tablet that is waterproof and running android (I used it mainly as kindle and some newspaper apps). But I can't find one... phones seem to be waterproof nowadays almost by default - but tablets are not? At least most don't state anything.

So any suggestions would be welcome ?

Thanks!

You can waterproof any tablets by having a silicon plug on each ports like usb and headphone jack.

One tablet that i can think of is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Active which not only waterproof but also shock proof.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

One option I can recommend is getting a waterproof case.

Here are some: https://ebookfriendly.com/waterproof-tablet-ereader-cases/

21 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can waterproof any tablets by having a silicon plug on each ports like usb and headphone jack.

Umm, probably not a good idea to try that to add water-resistance. A tablet that originally isn't water-resistant, can never be water-resistant as easily as that.

-Kevin-

45 minutes ago, krkevin said:

One option I can recommend is getting a waterproof case.

Here are some: https://ebookfriendly.com/waterproof-tablet-ereader-cases/

Umm, probably not a good idea to try that to add water-resistance. A tablet that originally isn't water-resistant, can never be water-resistant as easily as that.

You'll be surprised on how much of todays non ip certified or non waterproof phones are actually can be dunked into water and still operates.

Especially phones with non replaceable batteries, the body is essentially glued shut, leaving only small openings like speakers, usb and headphone jack.

So basically some plugs will make it water resistant, so a small splash won't damage the phone.

Water resistant not water proof that is.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

You'll be surprised on how much of todays non ip certified or non waterproof phones are actually can be dunked into water and still operates.

Especially phones with non replaceable batteries, the body is essentially glued shut, leaving only small openings like speakers, usb and headphone jack.

So basically some plugs will make it water resistant, so a small splash won't damage the phone.

Water resistant not water proof that is.

I agree that your tip can help damage from splashes, but how about full submersion? What if that small splash comes in contact with the water damage indicator and voids the warranty? You mentioned phones, but not tablets. The method you are recommending has never been widely recommended by anyone, therefore has no guarantee it will work like actual water-resistance.

-Kevin-

I think an incident where your tablet would be fully submersible would be super rare. Water resistant yes, but no waterproof.

Its not recommended, but you can find many test like that in youtube, just to proof that a non ip certified phones can deal with (shallow) water dunk.

Phones and tablet (with non removeable battery) should have the same build where the body is glued shut.

thanks for the replies!

finding phones that would survive a bathtub drop is sort of easy. But phones are too tiny. Which is a weird statement as I read it now ?

Anyway. The rugged series from Samsung or any outdoor / bulletproof tablet isn't really for me. They are ugly. And heavy. And ugly. Same with the waterproof cases. They work but I'm not a fan of cases.

So I'll try finding some crazy people watering tablets that are not build for it. But I'm not entirely comfortable with this approach ?

• 11 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 3:45 AM, wemu said:

Hello

I owned a Sony Xperia Tablet Z (first generation). I was very satisfied with it, one specific feature was its IP55-/IP57 certification so it was mostly waterproof. Unlucky me I broke it. So I tried replacing it - but Sony seems to have stopped selling tablets years ago ?

So I'm looking for a 10" tablet that is waterproof and running android (I used it mainly as kindle and some newspaper apps). But I can't find one... phones seem to be waterproof nowadays almost by default - but tablets are not? At least most don't state anything.

So any suggestions would be welcome ?

Thanks!

Search fujitsu arrows tablets, or dell rugged tablet