Sound Dampening Foam

mister_s

I've seen that Be Quiet has sound dampening foam in their cases, and I would like to get what they use, or at least something similar for my case, but they don't seem to sell it.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I've seen dynamat used and I have personally used this stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Self-Stick-Foam-Foil-Duct-Insulation-FV516/100028603 for damping sheet metal enclosures.  I would assume care must be taken in how much and where to apply the material or you may overly thermally insulate your case.

For the the sheet metal damping I have done the self adhesive foam is applied only to the center of large panels and a 1 - 2 inch perimeter is left blank.  The stuff isn't very expensive, so you can always try it out and experiment.

Be sure to monitor thermals in addition to sound!

36 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

I've seen dynamat used and I have personally used this stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Self-Stick-Foam-Foil-Duct-Insulation-FV516/100028603 for damping sheet metal enclosures.  I would assume care must be taken in how much and where to apply the material or you may overly thermally insulate your case.

For the the sheet metal damping I have done the self adhesive foam is applied only to the center of large panels and a 1 - 2 inch perimeter is left blank.  The stuff isn't very expensive, so you can always try it out and experiment.

Be sure to monitor thermals in addition to sound!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably give the duct insulation a try, I think I have some lying around the house actually

Dynamat is more for heat insulation than sound insulation. For computer use, I recommend Acoustipak 7mm self adhesive foam. I used this in my last desktop computer (and have it in the one I'm building) and can tell you from experience this stuff works.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Also you should find sound insulation bitumen mat in a car audio store if you're in a pinch

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Automotive sound insulation works for automotive noise. Computer noise is different.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

You're not going to get much of a noticeable decrease in noise levels.  Probably not worth blowing the money on.  Maybe try turning down the fan curves first.

1 hour ago, Shrepto said:

You're not going to get much of a noticeable decrease in noise levels.  Probably not worth blowing the money on.  Maybe try turning down the fan curves first.

Actually, if you use a foam designed for computers (such as the one I linked) and apply it correctly, it can make a significant difference.

Jeannie