Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SaltySalamander

computer won't boot after upgrading cpu

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an asrock h97m pro4 mobo and tried upgrading my CPU to an intel i7 4790k. When I tried to start up the computer nothing showed on the monitor, the case fans didn't start spinning. The CPU cooler did work and I could hear the hard drive spinning. I switched back to the old cpu and the computer booted just fine. I updated the bios and cleared the cmos, then switched the CPU back to the i7 and still no luck. When I tried to boot it up the CPU fan and hdd started up but nothing showed on the screen.

Any and all help appreciated. Sorry if this sounds confusing I'm kinda an idiot.

sounds like its a dead chip then since thats the only thing that changed and it all works just fine with the old CPU. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Vengeance LPX 3000mhz | Corsair RM550x (2018) | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv 

Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You could also try a Clear CMOS (First with the original CPU). Its worked for me a couple times

(See the photo)

If you dont have a jumper you can use a screwdriver or something to short the pins

Clear CMOS.PNG

Edit: Also check the socket for anything like bent pins like @CapitalistVN said

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse