changing from windows to linux

7 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

It worked well for me when I was using a powerful desktop.  It could play most of the portion of my Steam library that had no native Linux version.

true wine can work amazingly, like just the other day i installed some games to this laptop like fallout new vegas, great game, not very stable on windows, but works like a charm on here

7 hours ago, knightslugger said:

I struggle to find the right files and applications that work with this thing or that thing, and then how to even install them in the first place. The whole damn thing is confusing as hell. The only thing i understand about Linux is the desktop. everything else seems like a very real struggle.

well the first thing to try when installing stuff is try do the old fashioned 'sudo apt install <package name>'

and i am assuming it is apt because you would probably use ubuntu, which like debian uses the apt package manager, so i hope i got the syntax correct since i use arch now and use pacman instead of apt. and since you are using ubuntu, i believe if you do find yourself with the .deb files, you should beable tu just double click them (dont ask me if this isnt the case anymore) or if you get the source files (probably inside a .tar.gz file) then you can just extract if and run the 'make' commands

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

5 hours ago, Shoe_Eater said:

well the first thing to try when installing stuff is try do the old fashioned 'sudo apt install <package name>'

and i am assuming it is apt because you would probably use ubuntu, which like debian uses the apt package manager, so i hope i got the syntax correct since i use arch now and use pacman instead of apt. and since you are using ubuntu, i believe if you do find yourself with the .deb files, you should beable tu just double click them (dont ask me if this isnt the case anymore) or if you get the source files (probably inside a .tar.gz file) then you can just extract if and run the 'make' commands

So I have to know command line AND use a GUI? AND it depends entirely on which distribution i'm using? AND PEOPLE OFFER THESE SORTS OF SOLUTIONS TO OLDER GENERATIONS?!

Nope. Fuck that. I'm out. The whole thing can GDIAF.

This is why people suggest (more like prove) that Linux sucks. It's not consistent, the language is bizarre, and it isn't intuitive.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Honestly... I don't even know why someone should install Word through wine, there is the WebApp version, LibreOffice and Google documents. 

14 hours ago, knightslugger said:

the only performance gains you'll get is the installation-and-use-of-shit-that-ought-to-just-install chicanery. The one and only reason i REFUSE to use linux is the difficulty in getting something VERY mainstream to just. fucking. work.

not gonna play that game. i ejected my disk, and folded the thing in half right into the trash can.

It's not always like that, developers just don't make their own Linux port and when this happens sometimes is buggy, but there are good examples like Steam, Davinci Resolve (better than Adobe premiere imo) Blender

Well anyway the performance difference is very little, a matter of seconds, in favour of Linux 

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

So I have to know command line AND use a GUI? AND it depends entirely on which distribution i'm using? AND PEOPLE OFFER THESE SORTS OF SOLUTIONS TO OLDER GENERATIONS?!

This is why people suggest (more like prove) that Linux sucks. It's not consistent, the language is bizarre, and it isn't intuitive.

He is not right, using CLI is not mandatory but faster. So that is why people prefer it, some dudes are just going to tell you this is the only way because of ignorance.

All programs can be installed from the GUI in distros like Ubuntu also the downloaded ones

Linux is far more consistent than Windows and installation/uninstallations are a lot cleaner and don't leave files, the desktop too is far more coherent, there is no double control panel, no third party apps to install in order to get decent screenshot functionalty, gdrive support, all archive types uncompression support and full video codec functionality 

That is why is far more easier for desktop users for very basic usage imo, my parents are not having any problems on it.

There is no such thing as language, bash is a system script language only useful to learn for system programming which is something that a student or sysadmin would need to 

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

my parents are not having any problems on it.

7 hours ago, Shoe_Eater said:

i am assuming it is apt because you would probably use ubuntu, which like debian uses the apt package manager, so i hope i got the syntax correct since i use arch now and use pacman instead of apt

@Lukyp Your parents understand this gobbledygook?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

13 hours ago, knightslugger said:

If you don't know how to use a CLI you don't need to be concerned with doing anything outside of gaming or using iMovie to be honest.

14 hours ago, knightslugger said:

@Lukyp Your parents understand this gobbledygook?

They listen to me, so I'm not telling them things they are not supposed to learn 

8 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

If you don't know how to use a CLI you don't need to be concerned with doing anything outside of gaming or using iMovie to be honest.

oh i know how to USE it. you type words and they do stuff.

the problem is using the right words.

System specs:

5 hours ago, knightslugger said:

oh i know how to USE it. you type words and they do stuff.

the problem is using the right words.

There is only one word you need to remember, man for manual in Linux.