[UPDATE: Vote Passed!] Holy Mole-y - Metric redefines 4 units of measurement

rcmaehl

Is the Kg going to be defined as a set amount of Si atoms in a crystal?

I feel like everything I learned in chemistry is now a lie.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

10 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I normally go by floors with the assumption that a floor is between 12 and 14 feet tall.

I learned how to use fractions and decimals in school. Not that I've ever really needed to use either in day to day life. I've built things, never had any issues using SI.

Switching to metric would only cause me difficulty for zero actual benefit because I already know how to use SI. It's not "easier" if I have to re-learn what I already know how to do.

And if I need things super accurate, of course I'm going to be using metric, but I'm also going to be using a calculator if I need to.

if you know how to work with SI units you already know metric and should be able to use it easily.

Whenever people argue about Murican measurement units, I like to stick this image...

metric-versus-imperial.png.dc2b4af5e1a83944bc5e2001cfcea2cd.png

The fact metric units are getting updated with the scientific findings and increasing accuracy, how is that a bad thing? But USA sticking with absolutely retarded and illogical imperial system is "Fuck yeah, Murica, the land of free and brave!". Give me a break. Also, for regular people, nothing will really change. 1kg of french fries will still be 1kg of french fries...

@ARikozuM

Why would feet and yards be better units? No one measures skyscrapers in centimeters ffs. That's the point of metric units, the scalability. You use the unit appropriate for the relative scale of measured object. If you're measuring distance across the continent, it'll be in thousands of kilometers. If you're measuring skyscraper, it'll be in meters. If you're measuring the size of a closet, it'll be in centimeters and if it's a technical drawing of the same closet, it'll be in millimeters. Very technical tiny things are measured in microns and nanometers. And all always divided in units of 10, 100 or 1000. You literally don't even need a calculator for most things, you just shuffle comma/period around when converting between units. Good luck with that converting imperial units (look at the left graph on image above why).

I also pretty much always start laughing really hard when Americans start talking in "100ths of an inch" as a measurement of things that are smaller than 1 inch lol. It's just so hilariously idiotic when you don't have unit smaller than a thumb. When all you could say is 2 millimeters (I made this up as an example). LOL

Americans, don't take this personally, it's not you people who made this dumb measurement system, but defending it kinda is dumb...

Metricmap.png.6b616a2227100e164d583c1c2c636adf.png

Frankly, only reason why USA is not bothered is because it's too big and frankly too lazy to adopt metric. They'd have to change everything and it would take ages for people to adapt to new units. But it really isn't as difficult or complicated. I thought going from our monetary unit of Slovenian Tolars would be difficult in transition to Euro, but over basically just few weeks you get used to it and now using Euro for several years, trying to calculate old money feels weird and hard where Euro just feels natural to use.

Also, as interesting side note, I didn't know it was the French who adopted the metric system first.

I thought that everything besides the kilogram had already been redefined to properties (not physical objects)?  And in fact, I thought that had already happened recently... so the Ampere, mole, and Kelvin still were based on physical things then too?  And what exactly is happening to them now?

Personally, I'd like to see the amp completely removed as a fundamental unit and replaced with the coulomb.  Makes a lot more sense to me.  After all, when it comes to other fundamental units, we have distance and time, not speed and time.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

A) It would be 52,700cm, not 527,000cm.

B) Common sense means you wouldn't measure a skyscraper in centimetres, just like you wouldn't say "That skyscraper is 82992/4s of an inch".

unless you are german. in which case it should be mm`s

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I thought that everything besides the kilogram had already been redefined to properties (not physical objects)?  And in fact, I thought that had already happened recently... so the Ampere, mole, and Kelvin still were based on physical things then too?  And what exactly is happening to them now?

Personally, I'd like to see the amp completely removed as a fundamental unit and replaced with the coulomb.  Makes a lot more sense to me.  After all, when it comes to other fundamental units, we have distance and time, not speed and time.

Yes I think it happened a while ago. The mole’s new proposed definition was proposed in January. I think that its the consensus for whether or not they’re accepted is happening now.  

Not sure about all the other units. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Yeah, here is a thread on this froum about this topic:

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

unless you are german. in which case it should be mm`s

What? Is this a German joke I'm not getting or

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

4 minutes ago, Shally said:

What? Is this a German joke I'm not getting or

they measrue very large objects and very small objects very accuratly. during ww2 during wartimes they measured tank lengths in mm. 

in other words, pointless accuracy. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

they measrue very large objects and very large objects very accuratly. during ww2 during wartimes they measured tank lengths in mm. 

in other words, pointless accuracy. 

Not pointless. Helpful for systems that need to do conversion. Say if you sent a probe to Mars/Moon and you want to make sure it works in a lower gravity, you need a system that can convert even when in different gravities.

So they try to confine a measurement to something constant. Not needed for you and me, who are in the same place, using the same PC, travelling at the same speed etc. But for complex machinery, or global commerce, it's helpful.

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Helpful for systems that need to do conversion

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

But for complex machinery, or global commerce, it's helpful.

i know, but lets just take an example. the Tiger tank was measured in mm. its 6316 mm long........ that is a 6,3 m tank........ i wonder where the stereotype came from

Edited by GoldenLag

21 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Pff, freaking Metric system can't even agree on a unit of measurement? The Metric system is a tool of the devil! 

Took a bit of calculating, but he's saying his car gets 40 compression cycles per 0.49 oz of soluble fat, which would be at 42mpg would be roughly 0.1640625 Miles per hog head. That's assuming his car is that efficient, is optimal speed for compression and only compresses when needed....so it's probably less than that.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Failsafe is the best NPC. Failsafe and maybe GLaDOS.

lol who is failsafe xD

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

lol who is failsafe xD

destiny 2? maybe idk it might be a different one

hi

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

they measure very large objects and very small objects very accurately. during ww2 during wartimes they measured tank lengths in mm.

In Europe dimensions of cars and motorcycles usually are also listed in mm in the spec sheets. 

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

i know, but lets just take an example. the Tiger tank was measured in mm. its 6316 mm long........ that is a 6,3 m tank........ i wonder where the stereotype came from

It could've been likely that the drawings were rounded off, and when they built the tanks, it just happened to be that much longer and any extra added to the size is good for your ego. I'm certain nobody really designs a large machine to that level of precision intentionally if there's no requirement to do so.

11 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

In Europe dimensions of cars and motorcycles usually are also listed in mm in the spec sheets. 

well, if you could be so kind. please point me to a wartime production or pre-wartime production vehicles which lists its lenght down to mm accuracy. as far as i know, Germany is the only one i know who did this, and thanks to the tiger tank among other vehicles it became a meme. 

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It could've been likely that the drawings were rounded off, and when they built the tanks, it just happened to be that much longer and any extra added to the size is good for your ego. I'm certain nobody really designs a large machine to that level of precision intentionally if there's no requirement to do so.

i mean, someone drew the specs of the tiger down to the mm. shure it probably wasnt a requirement, but someone did it. probably wasnt produced to mm standard lets be honest, but for a wartime mass production vehicle. such accuracy seems rather pointless doesnt it?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

well, if you could be so kind. please point me to a wartime production or pre-wartime production vehicles which lists its lenght down to mm accuracy.

No idea where to find period specs on pre-war cars, I was actually referring to modern ones :

I'll take the Renault Kangoo as a French example. 

https://www.renault.com.au/vehicles/commercial/kangoo/kangoo/features-specifications

I'd love to include Volvo, but they work with e-brochures that they send to your mail address.

On to the Netherlands then.  Donkervoort also lists dimensions in mm

http://www.donkervoort.com/en/cars/donkervoort-d8-gto-40/

The UK, taking the F-type as an example. 

https://www.jaguar.com/jaguar-range/f-type/specifications/index.html

etc etc. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

No idea where to find period specs on pre-war cars, I was actually referring to modern ones :

I'll take the Renault Kangoo as a French example. 

https://www.renault.com.au/vehicles/commercial/kangoo/kangoo/features-specifications

I'd love to include Volvo, but they work with e-brochures that they send to your mail address.

On to the Netherlands then.  Donkervoort also lists dimensions in mm

http://www.donkervoort.com/en/cars/donkervoort-d8-gto-40/

The UK, taking the F-type as an example. 

https://www.jaguar.com/jaguar-range/f-type/specifications/index.html

etc etc. 

well since i believe this meme originated pre-war/post war germany (i could be wrong) and later picked up due to some clever german marketing (engineering) and world war 2 vehicle fans (popularized by popular games like Hearts of iron, warthunder, world of tanks, etc)

i mean modern vehicles do often have down to the millimeter accuracy, there is no question about that. 

2 hours ago, germgoatz said:

destiny 2? maybe idk it might be a different one

lmao, oh yeah... She's a bit brutal tho. "I'd suggest you don't get shot." - FailSafe

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)