Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Athan Immortal

Intel Offers More Cascade Lake-AP Performance Numbers

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Not showing much love to IBM, IBM CPU lives matter too. Only x86 PCIe 4.0.

ibm still makes cpu's? good to know

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault V2 (in progression)

Spoiler

CPU: dual Xeon x5650   GPU: GT210.  RAM: 6x4 GB+6x2 GB DDR3R.  MOBO: HP ML350 g6   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: 2x Delta 460w 80+ platinum  Case: ML350 G6

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

Just now, leadeater said:

So they got cut out of their own fabs they sold to GloFo? Wow they got screwed the most out of the 7nm abort.

I think they were going to be at least a year after AMD to 7nm, so they probably hadn't taped out the design. Thus, they've got time to figure out if either TSMC or Samsung can provide a node.

Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

14nm supply says what? 🤣

Edit:

Intel was like, fuck it lets dig our own grave with that slide. Hindsight is a bitch.

Aw I fucking love it so much. Inconsistent supplier indeed.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

I think they were going to be at least a year after AMD to 7nm, so they probably hadn't taped out the design. Thus, they've got time to figure out if either TSMC or Samsung can provide a node.

IBM was quite hot on 5nm too, TSMC is looking at that around 2020 so I'd guess it would be them unless another 5nm player comes in.

@Taf the Ghost

Nvm, Samsung and GloFo were both working on it, so there is already two 5nm players in the game right now.

The new process will be presented in detail at the 2017 Symposia on VLSI Technology and Circuits conference in Kyoto, Japan this week. IBM worked with partners Samsung and Globalfoundries to achieve the breakthrough, which ditched the commonly used FinFET architecture replacing it instead with stacks of silicon nanosheets. IBM worked to perfect nanosheet semiconductor technology for over a decade.

https://uk.pcmag.com/news-analysis/89652/ibm-figures-out-how-to-make-5nm-chips

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:
  Reveal hidden contents

MOARCOARS.jpg.380558cec0947ca38d6764fd212a2d8f.jpg

96 of skylake vs 64 zen 1 hmm

Show me dat 96 skylake vs 128 Zen 2 cause AMD will be selling that when Intel is selling Cascade

Icelake will be wider, but I'd heard it was only going to be 32 cores. Considering the delays, I wonder if they'll be coming back with 40c in a monolithic form. Intel is supposed to go Chiplet from Sapphire Rapids, which is the Server-based entirely redesign core structure in 2022 range.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Icelake will be wider, but I'd heard it was only going to be 32 cores. Considering the delays, I wonder if they'll be coming back with 40c in a monolithic form. Intel is supposed to go Chiplet from Sapphire Rapids, which is the Server-based entirely redesign core structure in 2022 range.

Icelake is gonna be going up against Zen 3 so glhf intel. Sapphire Rapids is facing off against Zen 4 which is supposed to be YUGE

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Icelake is gonna be going up against Zen 3 so glhf intel. Sapphire Rapids is facing off against Zen 4 which is supposed to be YUGE

It wasn't supposed to, haha.

On the current timeline, Icelake-SP would land about a year after Rome does, which is about a year before Milan/Zen3. That's assuming the Icelake can actually provide enough performance per socket. While it's a "Tock" from Intel, it's not going to be a huge uplift. And, as you mentioned, AMD will be coming back with upgrades quickly as well.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It wasn't supposed to, haha.

On the current timeline, Icelake-SP would land about a year after Rome does, which is about a year before Milan/Zen3. That's assuming the Icelake can actually provide enough performance per socket. While it's a "Tock" from Intel, it's not going to be a huge uplift. And, as you mentioned, AMD will be coming back with upgrades quickly as well.

At 64 Cores there's no way intel will be able to beat it per socket even with Ice Lake I think. So, we'd get Rome and Icelake with Zen 3 on the horizon, except that Icelake is gonna cost alot because it's still gonna be Monolithic dies. This is where intel falls apart. Lets see what they do when 16 core Ryzen 3rd gen comes out for Holiday 2019

oh right dont forget

32 CORE HEDT THREADRIPPER 3RD GEN BOIS

Just now, asus killer said:

January 2017

Four cores is just about the right amount of cores

January 2019

one can never have too much cores

This drove me nuts. I got a 2500k about midway through it's lifecycle, and the performance jump was so much from the previous gen. Then Ivybridge came along and didn't offer that much of an upgrade and of course the infamous switch to toothpaste thermalpaste inside meant it was hotter. The next gen required a new motherboard and I kind of got landlocked in, and so on for the next 5 years, and what I really wanted was a 6 or more core processor with a good uplift, but Intel locked that behind HEDT requirements.

Ryzen comes along and yes, suddenly Intel could find it in their hearts to offer 6 and 8 core processors to the main stream.

Jumped on Ryzen as soon as it came out for so many reasons not least of which they promised AM4 would be compatible to 2020, and looking at how they managed to double core count on Threadripper2 while maintaining socket compatibility was really impressive.

5 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Lets see what they do when 16 core Ryzen 3rd gen comes out for Holiday 2019

Out of interest, do you think it will actually take until Holidays 2019, I was hoping for a first half of the year for Ryzen on Zen2 7nm

21 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

Out of interest, do you think it will actually take until Holidays 2019, I was hoping for a first half of the year for Ryzen on Zen2 7nm

AMD is literally printing as many wafers as TMSC will sell them right now to build stock, those big cloud contracts they announced get priority. There's literally not enough wafer supply to release at the same time as Rome

Edit: Why did I say milan/zen 3? I meant rome zen 2. WTF?

5 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

Out of interest, do you think it will actually take until Holidays 2019

holidays as in Summer, not Xmas. Zen 2 is routed for April/May next year i believe, at least according to their previous release sqedual

edit: they could change their release sqedual, but i think we will see something at least. 

5 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

Given that Rome launches early next year and has maximum priority, 1H is out of the question. We might get some consumer stuff in Q3 if we're lucky. AMD doesn't have the resources to do back to back launches like that. Firstly they lack production capacity courtesy of TSMC and I don't think their teams have the manpower to do it either given the slow cadence of current Zen products.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

holidays as in Summer, not Xmas. Zen 2 is routed for April/May next year i believe, at least according to their previous release sqedual

I dont think so but maybe, it really depends on how many 7nm chiplets they can make. Turns out the fact that 8 desktop cpu cores are now the size of a phone SoC (less than 80mm square?) yields should be silly good and they can just make wafer upon wafers of these tiny chiplets. If they can make enough 80mm squares and 14nm io chips (these might yield lower than 7nm chiplets) we'll get Ryzen 3rd gen early

7 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

14nm io chips (these might yield lower than 7nm chiplets)

The 14nm dies might lead to the Zen 2 Ryzen being quite a bit more expencive than their Zen+ counterpart.

Wouldnt be surprising if the top end Zen 2 (if it used 2 7nm dies) being 600$ or so.

Interesting to see what config Zen 2 Ryzen will be as fitting am IO die aswell as a 2 7nm dies might be too dense. 

11 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

(less than 80mm square?)

There is probably a redit post somewhere whete they compared the Two. They are silly small though.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

The 14nm dies might lead to the Zen 2 Ryzen being quite a bit more expencive than their Zen+ counterpart.

Wouldnt be surprising if the top end Zen 2 (if it used 2 7nm dies) being 600$ or so.

Interesting to see what config Zen 2 Ryzen will be as fitting am IO die aswell as a 2 7nm dies might be too dense.  

There is probably a redit post somewhere whete they compared the Two. They are silly small though.

It's not expected to use a full IO die (wouldnt even fit LUL), I dont think 16 core ryzen 3rd gen will cost more than $500 USD MSRP

2 hours ago, Athan Immortal said:

Source article

Anandtech have condensed most of Intel's performance slides into an easier to read table.

anand.JPG.90980de531004b71d05cdddc61e8365e.JPG

There's no power figures with these either, and as the article notes

We're still waiting for reviewers to get their hands on Zen2 Epyc and these new Intel chips, but I did think it was interesting to re-watch the AMD event where they showcased Epyc2 against 2 of the top Xeons (in a favourable benchmark). Of course in both cases they are vendor numbers.

As a side note, this slide of partners is lacking Amazon Web Services. AMD made a big point of showing their new partnership for Epyc2, I'm not sure it would ever be an either or scenario though.

You can expect each 48 core Cascade Lake AP to be around 350w according to Adored TV.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

22 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

Just fixed my reply, meant Rome. Idk why even went through the effort to type zen 3 as well.