Zero Condensation Sub Zero Cooling Concept.

Aquados

The air in a given volume of space has approximately 80/ Nitrogen, 20/Oxygen  and Other.   Imagine the Pc rig sitting in a 100% Nitrogen environment with the Sub-zero cooling hardware outside of it.

A box that is big enough for the Pc, will have 3 holes.  2 will be input and out valves for the gas. The third will be cable and tubing.  The C&T hole will be filled with silicon for air tight seal.  Inject the Nitrogen gas with the output valve open until all of the non-nitrogen gas are pushed out. Close valves without building pressure.  There should be no moister in the box. 

Nitrogen is lighter then oxygen and water. Output would be on the bottom and input on top.    LTT has a cnc, laser machine, and maybe a 3D printer. They got the resources to make it.  

I think it is time they get an engineer or a person who loves and know how to build stuff while using tools correctly.

Imagine a world with sub-zero cooling with no threat of moister. 

Or just hook up the sealed PC case to a dehumidifier to remove moisture.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

just cover the motherboard with paper towel to suck the moisture

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

IBM has been doing refrigerant cooled systems for decades. They are large so the cold plste is just housed in an air tight enclosure with a rubber gasket to prevent moisture, but there are silica dessicant packs inside just in case moisture gets in.

Might like thus article.

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2011/03/reasons-to-use-two-phase-refrigerant-cooling/

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

z u c c

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

21 minutes ago, Aquados said:

-SNIP-

That'a very doable as long as you can feed in coolant lines, there was a user that did something like this on the forums by displacing the air with argon to prevent condensation of any sort. I recall something about a yearly top up to ensure it was completely filled up. 

14 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

IBM has been doing refrigerant cooled systems for decades. They are large so the cold plste is just housed in an air tight enclosure with a rubber gasket to prevent moisture, but there are silica dessicant packs inside just in case moisture gets in.

That is industrial use.  I am talking about at home.

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The dehumidifier needs to suck air in. It would need an inlet.    The concept is for 100% no moister or anything else.  Sub-zero hardware plus a dehumidifier  would make it more complicated and less efficient.  

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

That'a very doable as long as you can feed in coolant lines, there was a user that did something like this on the forums by displacing the air with argon to prevent condensation of any sort. I recall something about a yearly top up to ensure it was completely topped up. 

What is the price for argon and nitrogen. LTT got an CNC machine. They should attempt.

18 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

the idea is to eliminate moister from the environment. 

Just now, Aquados said:

What is the price for argon and nitrogen. LTT got an CNC machine. They should attempt.

Just straight Argon will do, and it's relatively cheap any welding supply house can provide you a tank or fill one if you bring an approved vessel in. 

46 minutes ago, Aquados said:

The dehumidifier needs to suck air in. It would need an inlet.    The concept is for 100% no moister or anything else.  Sub-zero hardware plus a dehumidifier  would make it more complicated and less efficient.  

Put a dehumidifier outside the PC.

It takes air in from the case and outputs the dehumidified air back into the case.

Once the humidity is out it can be shut off and disconnected.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

or you make a mineral oil submerged PC that's cooled by an AC condenser, rather than just radiators, and keep it close to freezing point, but still far enough above the oil's freezing point.

11 hours ago, Aquados said:

That is industrial use.  I am talking about at home.

the idea is to eliminate moister from the environment. 

I know its in a datacenter and not home but the same basic principles apply. You wouldnt want to do a PC in a sealed box with nitrogen inside, unless the nitrogen itself was also being circulated. The rest of the components that get hot would need to have the atmosphere in the case do the cooling like any other case, even if the CPU and GPU had refrigerant cold plates on them.

In refrigerant or air cooled servers, there still has to be airflow throughout the enclosure so that VRMs, PSUs, and all the orther stuff that gets hot inside a computer can be cooled in addition to the chips themselves.

The way im envisioning your setup is a refrigerant loop with cold plates going into a sealed case filled with nitrogen.

Unless your setup was to be a sealed case with a ducted blower that circulates chilled nitrogen as well as direct to chip refrigerant cold plate cooling.

Though you could just do a refrigerant loop with standard humidity control modifications instead of needing to purge the sealed case every time you work on it.

how about throwing your pc in a bath of distilled water

bingo no more worries about condensation lol

11 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

how about throwing your pc in a bath of distilled water

bingo no more worries about condensation lol

Even better than water.

And for the condensation

On 11/11/2018 at 10:49 PM, Aquados said:

The air in a given volume of space has approximately 80/ Nitrogen, 20/Oxygen  and Other.   Imagine the Pc rig sitting in a 100% Nitrogen environment with the Sub-zero cooling hardware outside of it.

A box that is big enough for the Pc, will have 3 holes.  2 will be input and out valves for the gas. The third will be cable and tubing.  The C&T hole will be filled with silicon for air tight seal.  Inject the Nitrogen gas with the output valve open until all of the non-nitrogen gas are pushed out. Close valves without building pressure.  There should be no moister in the box. 

Nitrogen is lighter then oxygen and water. Output would be on the bottom and input on top.    LTT has a cnc, laser machine, and maybe a 3D printer. They got the resources to make it.  

I think it is time they get an engineer or a person who loves and know how to build stuff while using tools correctly.

This has already been done by l and l cooling. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

On 11/11/2018 at 10:49 PM, Aquados said:

This is effectivly, well ..IS.. what i have planned for my next build. Spent a few years planning it, its now on the back burner untill other life things are sorted.

So what i can tell you form my extensive research and planning.

This will obviosly work. but...

You will need to ensure you dont pressurize the sealed case, but you will want to ensure that it is sealed to the best of your ability so a slightly pressurization and simple soapy water / pressure gauage test will be required.

You will want the case to servicable, so atleast one pannel will have to be removable and thus require a large oring.

Easy method for sealing wires and such will be to cut a hole in the case then use a section of hard tubing, thread the wires through then fill the section up with sealant, then seal the pipe to the hole in the case.

Cooling pipes going in and out of the case just use fittings to seal up against the inner and outer panel.

For subzero liquid cooling you will need to decide how far below 0 your going to go. Anything beyond -5c or so is going to likely require either replacmnet o-rings for all fittings and blocks, or custom/braised blocks. You will also have to avoid plastic tubing and go with ether glass or copper depending on if you plan to heat cycle the system.

The fluid of choice would have to be Mayhems XT-1 in a ratio solution appropriat for your temperature target, lowest would be -50c at 60/40 mix though i would test viscosity at this point as it may determin your pump choice.

Next choice is res. If you will be heat cycling then smaller res, single loop 1 pump. Though your going to have to wait for temps to go down before putting any significant load on a OC'ed system.

Other choice, and the 1 im going for, is a Large res and a 2 pump dual loop. The cooler (what ever u decide to do) will chill the res and stay on controlled by a temperature controller with 1 pump, keeping the coolant at target temp all the time. The second pump and loop will go from the res to the PC and will only turn on when the PC is on. All of this will have to be very significantly insulated, to avoid conesation (getting everywhere around it wet) and ICE buildup, not to mention ambient temperatures affecting prerformance.

Sensor in the case would also be good, especialy humidity, to keep an eye on things.

Your also going to want to wire up a front IO to control motherboard functions for if u need to clear the BIOS and such otherwise ur goign to have to re-gas the case every time you you need to do it.

Crucialy, if you go the route of using a dry air environment for the case, make it look nice, this is the kind of situation that allows you do avoid 'most' condensation protection thus avoiding the ugly look. I would still advise some bassic condensation protection, even though you shouldnt need it, like grease in the CPU socket to avoid pinrot, and perhaps some kind of clear conformal coating over the coldest areas.

Think the covers everything ..problably forgot somthign though :P

On 11/11/2018 at 10:53 PM, Enderman said:

This wont work very well. Went through this idea myself. Most if not all dehumidifers only go down to 30%, not low enough to go subzero.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |