Ghetto Intel Core i7 from CHINA for $100!!

Taobao is a big risk and isn't worth it buying electronics, especially thise you want to use in long term, imo. What LTT should do is try that out for, say, a month of stress test. Also, there's always a chance of getting a fake/broken cpu and the return/warranty policy is funky to say the least. 

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Fuck no, why with a thumbnail picture like that.

I love it how they just buy knowing a scam, and act like it should be legit. LOL

Have to do a vid like that atleast once a year.

I mean, to be fair I'd read about these before so I knew what the chip was in the thumbnail. It's a very... Interesting product. And performance wise, not actually a scam. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

Taobao is a big risk and isn't worth it buying electronics, especially thise you want to use in long term, imo. What LTT should do is try that out for, say, a month of stress test. Also, there's always a chance of getting a fake/broken cpu and the return/warranty policy is funky to say the least. 

everything online comes with risk, may be unclear description and unknown source. its true sometimes they sell poor quality for cheap price for most of the time. even though most products are legit(from numbers of transactions and "negative" reviews).

5 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

4930Ks at that price are fairly common

Indeed. And to be fair, it's a horrible buy at that price, especially with the pricing on legit X79 motherboards. Honestly better to just get a Ryzen 5 or Core i5. Same amount of cores, way higher IPC, way lower power draw.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

I mean...did you watch the video? xD 

I'll make it easy for you. Temps were lower, gaming performance was pretty close, generally within 10% of a 4770K, and the voltage reading wasn't operational in the bios.

I mean actual wattage draw? I ASSUME it is. But that may not be the case. :(

@TechyBen I mean one would assume the tdp is the same as the chip would have in a laptop, just because it has access to more robust power doesn't mean it'll use it, its not designed to.

The original tdp is apparently 47w

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

35 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

@TechyBen I mean one would assume the tdp is the same as the chip would have in a laptop, just because it has access to more robust power doesn't mean it'll use it, its not designed to.

Ah. Ok. Thanks. :)

That chip might actually go in my "skunkworks/frankenstein" pc build XD

7 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

I don't know, I personally have had no problems at all, bought an Android TV box, RAM, a PSU, some thermal paste, some 80mm fans, a Xiao Yi dashcam, one MicroSD card ... the list goes on.

It's like eBay IMO, you just have to be careful and know what you're buying.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@LinusTech managed to set boost speeds on my 4870HQ up 400mhz with intel XTU, now it performs identical to your 4790k testing on cinebench. maybe give that a try and see how performance is?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

It would be interesting to have a "Scrapyard Wars" with all the items being sourced from china.

i wonder what crazy stuff you'd end up with

14 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

00 microcode on Haswell does not have a TDP limit, they’ve gotten around current and TDP limits on select laptop/BIOS combos (Xeons too IIRC). 

Hi, what cooler should i use with this processor? (pref. budget) 

I was thinking of upgrading from my i5 4590, cause i think i might be bottlenecking in some games(streaming too).

gpu is 1060 btw.

My wife is currently in China, and I was thinking about asking her to get me one of those (I still have 2 or 3 Haswell systems). Since she can buy directly I wouldn't have to pay shipping or extra custom fees ... hmmmm

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Hi guys, just thought I would share my findings. I recently just purchased an i7 4980HQ, I’ve attached some pictures. Been back and forth with the guy I got it from, he brought a few back from China with him - he says it can be clocked to 4.6ghz with the right mobo. Reading more about the chip it's self it can turbo up to 3.8ghz on all for cores and 4.0ghz on a single core by default (don't really understand how all that works if i''m being honest).

I decided to bite the bullet and paid £120 for it, I feel it’s worth it. My current system I’ve had for years now that is still rocking a phenom is x4 965 it starting to struggle - was looking for a cheap upgrade. Plan on buying a second hand board etc and transferring my DDR3 ram over to the new system. If anything this product is kind of unique too in a way, I like the jimmy rigging idea of it all!

Would be really interesting to see how they put these together and how hard it might be, done some re flowing of 360 CPUs in my time, and it sounds like it could be a similar process in some ways.

166C75E7-6070-4351-901D-602942212C5A.png

82F6B663-50E6-4F3D-93FF-178BB2E14862.png

18 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

My wife is currently in China, and I was thinking about asking her to get me one of those (I still have 2 or 3 Haswell systems). Since she can buy directly I wouldn't have to pay shipping or extra custom fees ... hmmmm

shipping within china is usually free or cost peanuts so you get to only pay listed price 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

On 11/12/2018 at 3:59 AM, Ross Siggers said:

I mean...did you watch the video? xD 

I'll make it easy for you. Temps were lower, gaming performance was pretty close, generally within 10% of a 4770K, and the voltage reading wasn't operational in the bios.

Need to have the clocks the same speed to make a comparison with 4770k. Perhaps the mobile runs hotter clock for clock.

On 11/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, Ross Siggers said:

The mobile TDP is designed around the laptop cooling and power delivery, it is not the maximum power the CPU can use. Laptop manufacturers will typically limit the CPU power.

Crystal Well CPUID is different to Haswell so uses a different microcode. Don't know if it has the same ratio exploit but looking at CPU-z validations it does seem to support BCLK straps.

nmfzbi.png

http://valid.x86.fr/nmfzbi

Maybe it'll work for Haswell too but if it doesn't then maybe the ratio exploit can be used

lqz4zk.png

http://valid.x86.fr/lqz4zk

CPU is quite old now and can easily be beaten with newer chips but still could be a bit of fun. Might get on myself :)A good desktop setup should be able to provide better power delivery and cooling but don't know how those solder balls would hold up to extreme cooling such as LN2.

AWOL

Been reading a little about that exploit and how intel patched it (or something like that) - i'm sure asrock released some clever workaround boards that have a built in clock generator.

Link: http://www.eteknix.com/asrock-finds-way-bypass-intels-non-k-bclk-oc-limits/

Here is some cpuid details of the 4980HQ if it’s of any interest.

67A40170-7AB4-4098-B79D-3E6C3A019B3F.jpeg

On 11/15/2018 at 5:07 PM, AntonyL said:

Been reading a little about that exploit and how intel patched it (or something like that) - i'm sure asrock released some clever workaround boards that have a built in clock generator.

That was a different exploit specifically for Skylake and uncoupled BCLK which came with problems with power management and also losing use of 256-bit registers. The Haswell exploit which unlocks ratio's does not have those issues so nicer. While Haswell quads indicate BCLK straps are supported I hadn't seen this used until the Crystal Well posts, maybe a chance for the 4720HQ on desktop too?

14 hours ago, qq460040673 said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/4ghz-overclock-i7-4xxxxmq-h-to-i7-extreme-conversion-intel-haswell-cpu-microcode-bug-hack.790177/

4GHz+ Overclock i7 4xxxxmq/h

guys,you can overclock these 4xxxhq cpu with these way ,i had overclock my 4750hq to 4.2ghz with z87@42*100mhz

Nice, any particular reason you stopped at 4.2GHz?

AWOL

So I'm late to the party but I got to looking at what else was in the Haswell catalog and I remembered that the i7 4770R was a thing, with that crazy 128MB of on package L4 cache called Crystal Well that was weird. I wonder how that stacks up against a more normal i7? My understanding is that the 128MB L4 is used for the on die GPU but if the GPU is turned off it's all CPU L4 cache. Base is lower and turbo is the same as the other 4770 CPU's, so in theory with good cooling performance in turbo should be the same with the only difference being the L4 cache. Also it's another $100 USD affair it looks like, https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://item.taobao.com/item.htm%3Fid%3D570682674080&prev=search

I just laid out for a 4770K literally the day before watching the video so I'm tapped out on CPU's and I'm doubtful my H87 mini ITX board would be compatible with any of those "weird" chips and I don't want to tear down my currently under construction Z87 stuff to test out dubious CPU's that I can't afford right now. I'd love to see Uncle Moneybags of the north do some more videos with this weird/dubious Chinese stuff, I really enjoyed the off brand graphics cards from China.

12 hours ago, X_X said:

That was a different exploit specifically for Skylake and uncoupled BCLK which came with problems with power management and also losing use of 256-bit registers. The Haswell exploit which unlocks ratio's does not have those issues so nicer. While Haswell quads indicate BCLK straps are supported I hadn't seen this used until the Crystal Well posts, maybe a chance for the 4720HQ on desktop too?

Nice, any particular reason you stopped at 4.2GHz?

because high frequency wasn't stable even i set the core voltage @ 1.4v ,I think 4980hq might overclock the frequency @ 4.8g stable below 1.45v

QQ截图20181118014446.png

11 hours ago, qq460040673 said:

because high frequency wasn't stable even i set the core voltage @ 1.4v ,I think 4980hq might overclock the frequency @ 4.8g stable below 1.45v

From what I have personally seen with mobile Haswell (not that much) is it starts getting hungry for voltage and power at 4.2GHz and gets worse at 4.5GHz. Did you also disable FIVR faults and bump up VCCIN a little? Wondering if the BGA to LGA adapter is affecting maximum clocks.

AWOL

On 11/11/2018 at 10:49 PM, BananaInSandals said:

Taobao

Aliexpress

Alibaba

Bangood

dx

ChinaBuye

Fastech

focal

CNDirect

That is why you buy from them and dont expect much. If you want good return policy then buy securely or local.

4 hours ago, X_X said:

From what I have personally seen with mobile Haswell (not that much) is it starts getting hungry for voltage and power at 4.2GHz and gets worse at 4.5GHz. Did you also disable FIVR faults and bump up VCCIN a little? Wondering if the BGA to LGA adapter is affecting maximum clocks.

Oh thanks,I found the VCCIN was drop to 1.77v with the voltmeter,now I set the VCCIN to 1.820v and set CPU Vdroop Offset Control@10% ,so i can overclock@4.4GHZ core voltage@1.4v and pass the aida64 stress test.

http://valid.x86.fr/6n50n4

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Aliexpress

Alibaba

Bangood

dx

ChinaBuye

Fastech

focal

CNDirect

That is why you buy from them and dont expect much. If you want good return policy then buy securely or local.

I buy a fair amount of stuff from AliExpress with very few issues, but I'm also cherry picking what I buy and am pretty careful to not select anything complicated, mostly clothing and, low voltage LED stuff, and a few pet items. I'd be wary to buy car parts or expensive electronics from AE however.  I often find that unless the item I want is unique to a vendor there I can find it at the same or similar price on eBay often with much better shipping times. If I don't need it soon and waiting 4-6 weeks isn't an issue then I don't mind shopping AE for the slow boat specials.

I don't think I'd fully trust plunking down money for a graphics card or hard drive from AE or other Chinese vendors since they can be easily tampered with to make 'fakes', but an Intel CPU is probably a little harder to tamper with outside of the physical packaging. I can't imagine it's easy to make a CPU read in BIOS as something other than what it actually is? AE's customer service and refund process is fairly good, the other websites I don't know and might be problematic.