Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchy Dragon

Alibaba Made $1 Billion in 85 Seconds

Posted · Original PosterOP

Alibaba has hit a record of over $1,000,000,000 in sales in 85 seconds.

The online retail blitz known as Singles' Day is an informal holiday for singles on November 11 or 11/11, to symbolize singles, CNN reported.

Alibaba has offered discounts on Singles' Day since 2009, turning the day into an annual 24-hour online shopping spree.

Technology companies Xaomi, Apple and Dyson were the top three brands in early sales.

Not surprised to see Xiaomi up there, being a Chinese company. Vacuum cleaners are also a big deal, apparently.

Quote from second source:

Often compared to Cyber Monday and Black Friday in the U.S., the young, unofficial commercial holiday in China was started in 2009, so singles could learn they really can find happiness by buying stuff -- at least for a day.

While Alibaba gets the headlines for the event, other retailers who make big on the date -- uh, sorry, singles, day -- include JD.com, which bills itself as China's largest retailer and the world's third largest Internet company, with partnerships with Tencent, Walmart and Google.

Over the years, the event has come to eclipse our Black Friday in terms of sales. Last year, Alibaba's Singles' Day recorded more than $25 billion in sales -- several times the amount spent in our post-Thanksgiving day shopping spree. 

Honestly, this is pretty insane. A billion in under two minutes is pretty crazy in my opinion. I'm almost speechless. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of world record, to be honest.

Sources:

https://www.thestreet.com/amp/world/alibaba-s-singles-day-hits-billions-in-sales-in-minutes-14776582

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/World-News/2018/11/10/Alibaba-hits-record-of-over-1-billion-in-sales-in-85-seconds/3601541877587/

Link to quoted CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/tech/alibaba-singles-day/index.html

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Ruo94 said:

We may not have a girlfriend. BUT NOTHING WILL STOP US FROM WASTING OUR MONEY!

I heard they had XL mousepads for $2.

Maximum order amount per person: 20

image.png.f61baf0ebae696b2c324d731ca34f550.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

there's 11.11 sales in whichever platform alibaba (and separately taobao etc) owns internationally, so not too surprised ._.

also like there're hype groups and threads in my area, so...

EDIT: the real metric would be how much of that 1 billion isn't within china.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I heard they had XL mousepads for $2.

Maximum order amount per person: 20

that's their wholesalers and warehousing side i think o_o

they're the 40 thieves now

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

50 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

We may not have a girlfriend. BUT NOTHING WILL STOP US FROM WASTING OUR MONEY!

you, I got one recently, and I've only wasted money on food. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between midday and midnight.

NightHawk: i5 6600k @4.1, ASUS Z170m-plus, H105, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, Strix GTX 970 XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 250gb 750 evo and 5tb Toshiba x300

My compute server (remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work :)

WIP NAS Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU White list:

Spoiler

I love to fly 

Spoiler

How to get PC parts cheap 

Spoiler

Singles Day sales are huge over in these parts of the world. Think of it like the Asian equivalent of Black Friday.

There was a juice maker that went from $100+ down to barely over $5.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

$1,000,000,000

Yes and some of it will be funneled as all smart corps do.

I really do not need anything, I am not even looking at anything other then the usual shit and they werent even 10% off.

If their group of comapnies is making big coin, then the shipping companies are making coin too. Just wonder how much is American vs the rest of the peasants.

In sales

Not profit or cut of sales

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Alibaba didn't made 1 billion. Alibaba (Taobao and Alibaba express) is like Amazon and eBay where different shops and people sell stuff on the platform. So most of the profit in the 1 billion goes to different shops and individuals selling. 

Also, I've always wonder how much of those 1 bil is real transaction and how much is "fake" transaction back and forth to boost the number...

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

In sales

Not profit or cut of sales

Either way its impressive to move that much product in that little of time. 

I mean that like apple managing to sell a million iphones in a min and a half. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I have 5 new self-stirring mugs, No longer will I spend the average 2 weeks a lifetime stirring tea. 

yeah screw wizards and their casual use of mana

2 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

Alibaba didn't made 1 billion. Alibaba (Taobao and Alibaba express) is like Amazon and eBay where different shops and people sell stuff on the platform. So most of the profit in the 1 billion goes to different shops and individuals selling.

They did make it, just not in profit but in revenue. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry, going off tangent for a bit:

imagine there was a wholesale of warranty stickers for cheap and the clause states "no warranty and returns", LOL

Depends on the individuals or shop the items are sold. But most of them have warranty and return policies. However, you'll have to pay the shipping/posting cost, which isn't worth it when you're buying something cheap, like a mouse pad or sticker lol. In some cases, they might just send you another defective one as the whole batch of them are defective anyways lolol