Alibaba Made $1 Billion in 85 Seconds

Crunchy Dragon

Alibaba has hit a record of over $1,000,000,000 in sales in 85 seconds.

The online retail blitz known as Singles' Day is an informal holiday for singles on November 11 or 11/11, to symbolize singles, CNN reported.

Alibaba has offered discounts on Singles' Day since 2009, turning the day into an annual 24-hour online shopping spree.

Technology companies Xaomi, Apple and Dyson were the top three brands in early sales.

Not surprised to see Xiaomi up there, being a Chinese company. Vacuum cleaners are also a big deal, apparently.

Quote from second source:

Often compared to Cyber Monday and Black Friday in the U.S., the young, unofficial commercial holiday in China was started in 2009, so singles could learn they really can find happiness by buying stuff -- at least for a day.

While Alibaba gets the headlines for the event, other retailers who make big on the date -- uh, sorry, singles, day -- include JD.com, which bills itself as China's largest retailer and the world's third largest Internet company, with partnerships with Tencent, Walmart and Google.

Over the years, the event has come to eclipse our Black Friday in terms of sales. Last year, Alibaba's Singles' Day recorded more than $25 billion in sales -- several times the amount spent in our post-Thanksgiving day shopping spree. 

Honestly, this is pretty insane. A billion in under two minutes is pretty crazy in my opinion. I'm almost speechless. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of world record, to be honest.

Sources:

https://www.thestreet.com/amp/world/alibaba-s-singles-day-hits-billions-in-sales-in-minutes-14776582

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/World-News/2018/11/10/Alibaba-hits-record-of-over-1-billion-in-sales-in-85-seconds/3601541877587/

Link to quoted CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/tech/alibaba-singles-day/index.html

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Ruo94 said:

We may not have a girlfriend. BUT NOTHING WILL STOP US FROM WASTING OUR MONEY!

I heard they had XL mousepads for $2.

Maximum order amount per person: 20

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

image.png.f61baf0ebae696b2c324d731ca34f550.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

they're the 40 thieves now

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

50 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

you, I got one recently, and I've only wasted money on food. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Singles Day sales are huge over in these parts of the world. Think of it like the Asian equivalent of Black Friday.

There was a juice maker that went from $100+ down to barely over $5.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

$1,000,000,000

Yes and some of it will be funneled as all smart corps do.

I really do not need anything, I am not even looking at anything other then the usual shit and they werent even 10% off.

If their group of comapnies is making big coin, then the shipping companies are making coin too. Just wonder how much is American vs the rest of the peasants.

Alibaba didn't made 1 billion. Alibaba (Taobao and Alibaba express) is like Amazon and eBay where different shops and people sell stuff on the platform. So most of the profit in the 1 billion goes to different shops and individuals selling. 

Also, I've always wonder how much of those 1 bil is real transaction and how much is "fake" transaction back and forth to boost the number...

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

In sales

Not profit or cut of sales

Either way its impressive to move that much product in that little of time. 

I mean that like apple managing to sell a million iphones in a min and a half. 

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I heard they had XL mousepads for $2.

Maximum order amount per person: 20

I have 5 new self-stirring mugs, No longer will I spend the average 2 weeks a lifetime stirring tea. 

2 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

Alibaba didn't made 1 billion. Alibaba (Taobao and Alibaba express) is like Amazon and eBay where different shops and people sell stuff on the platform. So most of the profit in the 1 billion goes to different shops and individuals selling.

They did make it, just not in profit but in revenue. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

They did make it, just not in profit but in revenue. 

The fee's the umbrella corp made is $1B

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry, going off tangent for a bit:

imagine there was a wholesale of warranty stickers for cheap and the clause states "no warranty and returns", LOL

Depends on the individuals or shop the items are sold. But most of them have warranty and return policies. However, you'll have to pay the shipping/posting cost, which isn't worth it when you're buying something cheap, like a mouse pad or sticker lol. In some cases, they might just send you another defective one as the whole batch of them are defective anyways lolol

I may or may not have contributed $35 to that figure 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

In Asia here, most retailers guard their reputation with their life as the most often used filters are to sift out low ratings and low order rates. There have been multiple occasions when I had to ask for refunds on an unsatisfactory product (within 3 months), and each time I've gotten full refunds no questions asked. Customer service is also incredible, with these online retailers taking their own initiative to give me discount coupons, beg me to have a call so I can tell them what went wrong, and so on...

In contrast, if I buy anything from Amazon or Newegg, their international warranty service leaves me stranded. Customer support doesn't even care.

11 hours ago, Ruo94 said:

On VACUUMS! 

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

th?id=OIP.QXwxXVu0HBGfT87i-XTxJwHaEc%26p

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Well they have some good clothing articles i cant find fucking half of romania ive been this year and cant find anything so im gon order some today.

and they stayed up to process $1 billion in orders in 85 seconds. yet even amazon crumbled on prime day. alibaba is on a huge cloud though right?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount