Glasses keep getting dusty und greasy. What do?

Rakanoth

I try cleaning them with the glasses towel which was given to me along with my glasses back when I purchased it. But this does not always work. It spreads the grease sometimes to a broader area.

A soft, lint free cotton cloth (like an old, clean dish towel) works better for cleaning glasses; a soft, microfiber cloth works almost as well. I rinse my glasses with water before cleaning them to get rid of dust that will scratch the lenses. If they get really smeared, I use a little mild hand soap and water to clean them, rinse them thoroughly, then dry them on the towel. I have also used LCD cleaner but the soap and water works better.

Light dust can be gently blown off using your breath (blow gently to avoid spitting on them) or a camera squeeze bulb. Avoid touching the lenses with your fingers to avoid getting them greasy.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

to be honest ive never cleaned them with that cloth, its good cloth but i just wipe them using paper tissues. also wash them using soap and water.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 11/10/2018 at 4:17 AM, Rakanoth said:

I try cleaning them with the glasses towel which was given to me along with my glasses back when I purchased it. But this does not always work. It spreads the grease sometimes to a broader area.

1. Buy some disposable wet wipe glasses wipes. 

2. Or buy a bottle of glasses lens cleaner spray

3. Wet and clean the glasses, then dry with micro fibre cloth. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just wiping things with a towel generally isn't enough when dealing with grease on any surface so in this case, you can get bottles of lens cleaning solution for glasses. Just ask your local optometrist or glasses shop and they should carry it. Mine includes a bottle of that stuff every time I buy new sunglasses from them. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

1. Buy some disposable wet wipe glasses wipes. 

2. Or buy a bottle of glasses lens cleaner spray

3. Wet and clean the glasses, then dry with micro fibre cloth. 

I think water will work just fine. If the eyeglasses are multi-coated like mine, the detergent component in those glass cleaners can melt the coating away. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

you need lense cleaner and a new lense cloth, buy a big lense cloth if your always getting it dirty

also its best to be in the best position possible so what is happening does not happen

Warm water and a cotton cloth. Same to get rid of grease on your phone screen. 

[edit] or a glasses cloth, those are super good 

You need a super good lens cloth. Yeah yeah, Micro Fiber is the “best thing.” No... you should go to the eye doctor and ask about really good lens cloths. I have a really good one & its wayyyyy better than anything I’ve ever seen or used. Only the eye doctor had these. 

If you have thick grease, you’ll need to run the sink and try gently rubbing the gross stuff off with your fingers. Don’t scrub, just gently wipe it away whilst under the running water. Using a cloth will just get the cloth dirty. 

I find if you get some carnauba wax (or any other kind of car wax probably), and apply it after you clean them really well. it makes it easier to clean them next time.

don't put much obviously. Little drop on each side and spread it so it's super thin. wait a min or two and buff it off.

car wax is awesome stuff. can use it on lots of things. Granite countertops being another thing I'm thinking of. Makes them shine. lol. pretty much any clear or shiny surface.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, Origami Cactus said:

Try washing your glasses with water(no soap or anything other, only water) that works for me.

Uhm, my old glasses got rusty because of that. ?

4 minutes ago, Rakanoth said:

Uhm, my old glasses got rusty because of that. ?

If the glasses were made out of a corrosion prone material (eg: steel), you should be thoroughly drying the glasses after every time you wash them. Furthermore, applying a little lubrication (WD40, etc) to the hinges after is a good idea too.

Also, you shouldn't be "washing" the entire glasses under water. Usually just wetting a good cloth and using that to clean them is sufficient.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)