Project Ember Headphone Amp

raxx

Tube AMPS are a big no. Get something like a O2 AMP and DAC.

Do you even own the o2 combo?

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Tube AMPS are a big no. Get something like a O2 AMP and DAC.

Are you serious? I'm all for learning, and increasing my knowledge base? When did I once say that tube amps are crap? I was actually talking about going down and purchasing one albeit an older one, but still ..

I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, but please, think before posting :\

I was not directing it at you.

I mean shit like this

People saying stuff without asking what is for and i bet he never used either a tube amp or O2 combo

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I was not directing it at you.

I mean shit like this

People saying stuff without asking what is for and i bet he never used either a tube amp or O2 combo

"You" are not that welcoming on the area of audio, you think because logan said something its true

I'm sorry, but when you quote me, and then also single me out, and say that I'm not welcoming? man.. 

It's okay though, I see where you are coming from, people will always bandwagon, just ignore, move on, I know how hard that sometimes is.

#!

I'm sorry, but when you quote me, and then also single me out, and say that I'm not welcoming? man..

It's okay though, I see where you are coming from, people will always bandwagon, just ignore, move on, I know how hard that sometimes is.

I kind of quoted the wrong person. Damn tapatalk

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I suggest not posting in the audio section for the next 2 weeks, its very bashfull to others than dacs and amps

I think you will find that in any forum on the net, but of all the forums I have participated in there is only one better than this one (hometheatershack, but I haven't posted there for years).

This one is quite welcoming with a few very knowledgeable members.  I'd recommend anyone stick around and just ignore the posts that don't back up their opinions with a little bit of substance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I am more interested in this amp for its driving power for the headphones I want vs the tube amp sound. If I wanted tube amp sound I could go with several other amps. The problem is that I can't find a normal ss headphone amp that will drive these planar magnetic headphones. I am going by recommendations so I thought I would ask here. It seems the answer is "NO" noone has this amp. I dont give a rats ass what people think about tube amps. 

Mate, if you really want it and can afford it then get it, it sounds like your sold.  People are only concerned because 1. it's a fair chunk of cash and 2. we don't quite understand the specific reason you need it over an SS.  No one wants to see you buy it and then be disappointed because it doesn't quite stack up to the marketing hype (or headfi hype for that matter).   I think in a backward way people are just trying to say that all tube amps have peculiarities, if you like them then there is no prob, but if you don't then it doesn't matter if anyone owns this particular amp or not because the result will be the same. 

it's just a little confusing because there are SS amps that can drive planars, There is nothing a tube can do that a ss can't so it's really a matter of what you want and what you'll settle for.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Mate, if you really want it and can afford it then get it, it sounds like your sold.  People are only concerned because 1. it's a fair chunk of cash and 2. we don't quite understand the specific reason you need it over an SS.  No one wants to see you buy it and then be disappointed because it doesn't quite stack up to the marketing hype (or headfi hype for that matter).   I think in a backward way people are just trying to say that all tube amps have peculiarities, if you like them then there is no prob, but if you don't then it doesn't matter if anyone owns this particular amp or not because the result will be the same. 

it's just a little confusing because there are SS amps that can drive planars, There is nothing a tube can do that a ss can't so it's really a matter of what you want and what you'll settle for.

Other than speaker amps that require speaker tap cables, I don't know of any ss amp that can drive the headphone I want to buy.

Again, it is a Hifiman HE-4 which only have 1 magnet per driver so it is less efficient than say the HE-400. Any suggestions for a 

good ss amp so we can kill this thread? 

Other than speaker amps that require speaker tap cables, I don't know of any ss amp that can drive the headphone I want to buy.

Again, it is a Hifiman HE-4 which only have 1 magnet per driver so it is less efficient than say the HE-400. Any suggestions for a 

good ss amp so we can kill this thread? 

I have the HE-5's and the o2 can drive them with low gain.

I have the HE-5's and the o2 can drive them with low gain.

Ah interesting. The bass sounds good and everything? From what I read, an amp can produce loud sound, but they might not produce clear sound so that is what I am getting at.

I have an Ember, it is awesome and very high powered. Did not expect to find this post here! Quite musical and never breaks a sweat. Most would not understand what a hard to drive headphone is so I get it. I just sold my t50rp's which were not exactly efficient. I read through the post quickly and no she does not heat up the room and I have never had to replace a tube. I have had it since may or june last year and it gets a lot of use at my office. Nothing wrong with the o2 either, just a small clinical, low powered amplifier and should make just enough power but for me, that is no fun! I love tubes, they just offer something different, more involving and natural.

I see they also have a opamp based tube design that can use the same opamps as the o2 but more of them and more power output.

Ah interesting. The bass sounds good and everything? From what I read, an amp can produce loud sound, but they might not produce clear sound so that is what I am getting at.

The o2 is 100% neutral. And has low output impedance, so it won't mess with the bass, or any other frequencies.

Nothing wrong with the o2 either, just a small clinical, low powered amplifier and should make just enough power but for me, that is no fun! I love tubes, they just offer something different, more involving and natural.

I see they also have a opamp based tube design that can use the same opamps as the o2 but more of them and more power output.

You've hit the nail on the head, a tube amp is different and clearly the other descriptors you used relate accurately to your experience.  Though I just need to point out the O2 can manage just over 3 watts for a 600ohm load which actually makes it more powerful than the Ember.

So for the OP the question is really is, do you want the sound you get with valves or do you want a transparent SS?  

I don't know of any ss amp that can drive the headphone I want to buy.

tube amps are weird, the lower impedance of the headphone the less power they can deliver.

at least from what I read about non otl tube amps. which makes full tube amps terrible for planers.

The amp you linked looked like a hybrid, so it would have a solid state power stage and a tube preamp stage.

which eliminates the weird power issues that full tube amps have.

I don't know if the o2 has the gain you want for the he4's

@ShearMe what's the sensitivity of your pioneer 700 things?

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

@ShearMe what's the sensitivity of your pioneer 700 things?

They're so old I haven't found specs that seem right.

You've hit the nail on the head, a tube amp is different and clearly the other descriptors you used relate accurately to your experience.  Though I just need to point out the O2 can manage just over 3 watts for a 600ohm load which actually makes it more powerful than the Ember.

So for the OP the question is really is, do you want the sound you get with valves or do you want a transparent SS?  

I just reread this. Where are you getting " 3 watts for a 600ohm load"? Is there a chart or graph somewhere?

I just reread this. Where are you getting " 3 watts for a 600ohm load"? Is there a chart or graph somewhere?

the engineers blog, It can deliver 7volts into a 600 ohm load.  That would be absolute overkill for for just about anything, and for the most part even 600mW for 33ohm load is pretty pumpin'.

These are the specs on my headphones, the HE-4.

Impedance: 38 Ohm
Efficiency: 86 DB

From what I am reading I need more that 600mW at that impedance. 

Something the O2 can do, the HE-4 can be more then easily driven from the O2. 

600mW should push those to 113dB (which is pretty loud), but remember the O2 can be set to high gain a go further.

If you really need higher power for an amp you can look at the DacOne. I think it runs around $400-$500. No idea as to how the sound is but it has more than enough power!

Something the O2 can do, the HE-4 can be more then easily driven from the O2. 

So have you heard the HE-4 through this O2 amp? Have you compared the sound to other amps? How do you know it can drive the HE-4?

Are you just looking at specs or are you just taking the word of the Mayflower rep guy who just happens to make a version of the O2? 

If you really need higher power for an amp you can look at the DacOne. I think it runs around $400-$500. No idea as to how the sound is but it has more than enough power!

Thanks for the suggestion!

So have you heard the HE-4 through this O2 amp? Have you compared the sound to other amps? How do you know it can drive the HE-4?

Are you just looking at specs or are you just taking the word of the Mayflower rep guy who just happens to make a version of the O2? 

You don't have to buy it from him. JDS do it as well. Plus because it's public domain I am sure you'll find plenty of people without financial ties to it that can validate the specs.

You don't have to buy it from him. JDS do it as well. Plus because it's public domain I am sure you'll find plenty of people without financial ties to it that can validate the specs.

That isn't the biggest problem. The real problem is that people are recommending stuff that they don't own, or recommending stuff because some other guy

recommended it. It is the blind leading the blind here. Notice how I asked in my original post if SOMEONE OWNED PROJECT EMBER and now the thread is

about buying the O2 amp. I want to know if someone owned something, which only one guy in the thread has said yes.

That isn't the biggest problem. The real problem is that people are recommending stuff that they don't own, or recommending stuff because some other guy

recommended it. It is the blind leading the blind here. Notice how I asked in my original post if SOMEONE OWNED PROJECT EMBER and now the thread is

about buying the O2 amp. I want to know if someone owned something, which only one guy in the thread has said yes.

I'm telling you personally and measurably if you are worried about powering the he-4's the o2 will be able to handle it. Remember - tubes can output more power than solid state amps, but they lose most of it from the high output impedance.

All of the regulars in this thread are basing everything they know off of lots of experience or they have or had the products they are recommending. Someone did post that they owned the amp you are talking about, it's on the first page I believe. This is an audio sub forum on a gaming forum, you aren't going to find too many people who own that amp.