Project Ember Headphone Amp

raxx

Does anyone happen to own this amp? I am looking for a good headphone amp and I was wondering how it sounds. It uses a tube, but it can be set to sound like a solid state amp if you want. Any feedback would be great.

http://www.garage1217.com/index.html

Tube AMPS are a big no. Get something like a O2 AMP and DAC.

Quote me to get a reply!

Tube AMPS are a big no. Get something like a O2 AMP and DAC.

Why are they a big no? I even said that the amp can be set so it doesn't act like a tube amp, from what I am reading. It can sound like a ss amp if you choose.

Why are they a big no? I even said that the amp can be set so it doesn't act like a tube amp, from what I am reading. It can sound like a ss amp if you choose.

Most of the time they change how the sound sounds. The O2 is more so not changing the sound signature.

Quote me to get a reply!

Depends what your looking for bud, this is probably the wrong forum to discuss sound signatures and opinions however, as the majority of posters think because they watched a few of the Teks podcasts about audiophile shit they are informed to recommend products.

I would look up reviews on google and base your decision to purchase on that. Audio is so subjective, while someone may like a SS amp like the O2 another may like tubes.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Ok, but that doesn't sound totally bad. What if I want to add some warmth to my audio? I saw the video Logan made with that guy and I respect their intentions, but they never really convinced me

that tube amps are "bad". The problem is that the other guy works for or owns ( I don't know what he does ) Mayflower Electronics which makes SS amps only. So it is not surprising that he was

taking smack about tube amps.

Depends what your looking for bud, this is probably the wrong forum to discuss sound signatures and opinions however, as the majority of posters think because they watched a few of the Teks podcasts about audiophile shit they are informed to recommend products.

I would look up reviews on google and base your decision to purchase on that. Audio is so subjective, while someone may like a SS amp like the O2 another may like tubes.

Yea, but it is funny how I ask about a tube amp and the thread turns into a tube vs ss amp thread. All I asked was "does anyone own a project ember amp". I wasn't asking what amp I should get.

While I do agree that this tek syndicate video has blown things out of proportion, there are still reasons outside coloring that make tube amps less desirable

1. Tubes have a finite amount of time. Eventually they die out and you have to purchase new tubes. Then you have to burn in your new tubes by using them at their optimal level of usage.

2. Because of this process, buying a tube amp will result in a higher cost in the long run to maintain and in some cases you are stuck with only one tube to choose from because your amp is proprietary and that might be a inconvenience if said tubes are overpriced

Yea, but it is funny how I ask about a tube amp and the thread turns into a tube vs ss amp thread. All I asked was "does anyone own a project ember amp". I wasn't asking what amp I should get.

I think it would be fun to build an amp like this. Post up a build log if you decide to go for it.

While I do agree that this tek syndicate video has blown things out of proportion, there are still reasons outside coloring that make tube amps less desirable

1. Tubes have a finite amount of time. Eventually they die out and you have to purchase new tubes. Then you have to burn in your new tubes by using them at their optimal level of usage.

2. Because of this process, buying a tube amp will result in a higher cost in the long run to maintain and in some cases you are stuck with only one tube to choose from because your amp is proprietary and that might be a inconvenience if said tubes are overpriced

While thats true you can also spin it as a positive, being able to change tubes and vendors to play with the sound signature. 

Sorry to hijack OP

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

I think it would be fun to build an amp like this. Post up a build log if you decide to go for it.

While thats true you can also spin it as a positive, being able to change tubes and vendors to play with the sound signature. 

Sorry to hijack OP

Read part two of 2.

That is true, but the amp only takes 1 tube and it is compatible with many tubes that don't cost that much to replace, so I don't see the cost being that big of a deal. The tubes on the garage1217.com site don't seem too expensive 

considering the tubes should last a few thousand hours. I don't the exact lifetime, but I imagine they are like light bulbs.  

• Ember is supposed to have auto bias, be able to change heater voltages by simply plugging in a tube AND let you roll in a very wide range of dual triodes. She also slices, dices and makes julienne fries! Wow that sounds like a dream or lie... Oh wait... yes Ember actually does all of that... except the fries part. Talk about making tube rolling easy.

copy+paste from the site.

That is true, but the amp only takes 1 tube and it is compatible with many tubes that don't cost that much to replace, so I don't see the cost being that big of a deal. The tubes on the garage1217.com site don't seem too expensive 

considering the tubes should last a few thousand hours. I don't the exact lifetime, but I imagine they are like light bulbs.

Just remember that your tubes are more similar to incandescent lightbulbs, inefficient, heats up your room, and not long lasting

Just remember that your tubes are more similar to incandescent lightbulbs, inefficient, heats up your room, and not long lasting

True true.

I really want to get myself a tube amp, just to try it out, and see what the sound signature is like, I'm not buying one brand new, but I'm going to try and find one for cheap.

At the end of the day, you have to form an opinion yourself on what sounds "good" or "bad" to you, and as @Skylark said, audio is so subjective when it comes to sound. 

#!

I really want to get myself a tube amp, just to try it out, and see what the sound signature is like, I'm not buying one brand new, but I'm going to try and find one for cheap.

At the end of the day, you have to form an opinion yourself on what sounds "good" or "bad" to you, and as @Skylark said, audio is so subjective when it comes to sound. 

Yea, the great thing about the project ember is that it can drive headphones with a wide range of impedance. It also can be tweaked so that it sounds like a ss amp and not colored like a tube amp. Plus it is quite powerful, from what I am told. It only cost about $340 and then you need some kind of DAC. It also is compatible with several tubes so you can customize it. I sound like a salesman but I really don't work for them. The reason I want this amp is because I am buying a Hifiman HE-4 which needs lots of horsepower to drive, and this amp is recommended by someone on head-fi.org. He has those cans and the amp and he says they work well together. 

Yea, the great thing about the project ember is that it can drive headphones with a wide range of impedance. It also can be tweaked so that it sounds like a ss amp and not colored like a tube amp. Plus it is quite powerful, from what I am told. It only cost about $340 and then you need some kind of DAC. It also is compatible with several tubes so you can customize it. I sound like a salesman but I really don't work for them. The reason I want this amp is because I am buying a Hifiman HE-4 which needs lots of horsepower to drive, and this amp is recommended by someone on head-fi.org. He has those cans and the amp and he says they work well together. 

I have no intention of buying a tube amp brand new, or for that price, a couple of my local op shops get them in quite regularly, some from many many years ago, generally with busted tubes, or blown fuses. 20 dollars and it's a quick fix the majority of the time, I've only just realized how much tube amps are worth to some people, so I think it's about time I go down and actually purchase a couple for $10-$30 each. 

#!

I beg to differ, there are quite a few very knowledgeable and well experienced people on these pages that can adequately discuss sound signatures and the difference between tube and SS.  I will grant that there are a few who are just jumping on whichever opinion seems the most popular at the time but you'll get that with any forum, and probably more so with forums like Head Fi where no one wants to look the ignoramus by revealing the truth.

As far as tube amps go, they have there place, they are niche product for select enthusiasts.  They do what they do and you either love them or not.  But for the record and speaking strictly from experience you'll never get a tube to sound like an SS amp,  maybe close at times and with a limited number of headphones but not the same.

I will never tell someone not to get one if that's what they want, but if you are after true sound reproduction then you should probably start looking else were.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I had schiit valhalla and it was amazing at keeping my coffee warm, I would 100% recommend that

I suggest not posting in the audio section for the next 2 weeks, its very bashfull to others than dacs and amps

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I suggest not posting in the audio section for the next 2 weeks, its very bashfull to others than dacs and amps

Sorry, what?

We're a welcoming crowd in here, and if people want to spend their money on something that they feel will benefit their listening experience, then all to them. 

#!

I am more interested in this amp for its driving power for the headphones I want vs the tube amp sound. If I wanted tube amp sound I could go with several other amps. The problem is that I can't find a normal ss headphone amp that will drive these planar magnetic headphones. I am going by recommendations so I thought I would ask here. It seems the answer is "NO" noone has this amp. I dont give a rats ass what people think about tube amps. 

I am more interested in this amp for its driving power for the headphones I want vs the tube amp sound. If I wanted tube amp sound I could go with several other amps. The problem is that I can't find a normal ss headphone amp that will drive these planar magnetic headphones. I am going by recommendations so I thought I would ask here. It seems the answer is "NO" noone has this amp. I dont give a rats ass what people think about tube amps. 

What are you trying to drive that warrants a tube amp if you don't mind me asking?

#!

Sorry, what?

We're a welcoming crowd in here, and if people want to spend their money on something that they feel will benefit their listening experience, then all to them.

"You" are not that welcoming on the area of audio, you think because logan said something its true

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

"You" are not that welcoming on the area of audio, you think because logan said something its true

Are you serious? I'm all for learning, and increasing my knowledge base? When did I once say that tube amps are crap? I was actually talking about going down and purchasing one albeit an older one, but still ..

I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, but please, think before posting :\

#!