Linux VS Windows; Does OS matter for F@H?

Go to solution Solved by Gorgon,

Short Answer: No

Hardware:

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI

Pentium G5500

4GB G-Skill RipJaws V DDR4 2400 (Running at 2133MHz)

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB ACX2 Short-Board (06G-P4-6163-KR)

300W Power Supply

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit versus Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop

Graphics (Shader) Clock 2012-2025MHz; Memory Clock +800MHz

image.png.ff1f706441ab7622397a366e3c885009.png

The slightly slower times in Linux can likely be accounted for as the GPU clock in Linux was closer to 2012MHz where under Windows it was fairly consistently at 2025.

Currently planning my build for INTOS (IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE) and I've had a lot of suggestions to use a Linux variant like Ubuntu instead of windows. 

Is there a bonus for using Linux? Or does it just simply perform better based off the hardware? I've never used any form of Linux OS's so this will be new to me and I'm wondering if the First-Time-User experience will be worth the learning curve, or if it's only going to net me 1% differences (I'm also reading about how different Overclocking is on Linux)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It performs better in general because it has significantly less bloatware than Windows does. Just look at the installed-on-disk sizes: Linux=1-10GB (depending on distro) while Windows=20GB+

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Just now, LtStaffel said:

Linux=1-10GB (depending on distro) while Windows=20GB+

Okay but does that translate into measurable differences in PPD though? Tha'ts my question in a nutshell

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Okay but does that translate into measurable differences in PPD though? Tha'ts my question in a nutshell

Not sure what PPD is but I'm assuming it's similar to a hashing rate. In that case no, there is no inherent "bonus" to using Linux. However, if you use an open source program and it is well optimized for Linux, then it would perform better than a Windows port. When it comes to how something performs on certain hardware it very quickly becomes a matter of drivers and software, with the only difference the OS making is the amount of overhead (or in Linux's case, lack of huge overhead) it introduces.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

@Gorgon will know more on this topic.

From my understanding, Linux takes less amount of bandwidth on the PCIe bus than Windows, therefore more throughput, and PPD, can be passed through from the GPU and PCIe slot. (Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

@Gorgon

From my understanding, Linux takes less amount of bandwidth on the PCIe bus than Windows, therefore more throughput, and PPD, can be passed through from the GPU and PCIe slot. (Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'd be interested to see a source on this. I don't think it's impossible, but I've never heard of it and don't see an obvious reason why this would be the case. It would have to be a matter of drivers. OP, note that Nvidia does NOT play nice with Linux with their drivers. AMD is only okay because there are open source solutions (like ROCM); when I tried to use their proprietary stuff it was difficult to get working and I never succeeded (regardless of how comfortable I am in Linux. I even edited their install script to make it more compatible with my distro but that only solved problem 1/Unknown).

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

OP, note that Nvidia does NOT play nice with Linux with their drivers. 

That's an important note because I'm using a GTX 970 and a 750ti. 

Granted, this build will do literally nothing other than Folding. So performance outside of Folding is not applicable for my usage (but could be for others, so discussion on that matter is still welcomed)

8 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

I'd be interested to see a source on this.

Unfortunately, I can only find forum posts on this topic like this one and this. I'm not going to try to interpret what they are explaining as this is beyond my swim lane.

20 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Unfortunately, I can only find forum posts on this topic like this one and this. I'm not going to try to interpret what they are explaining as this is beyond my swim lane.

From my cursory inspection of those two posts they all tend to agree that Nvidia cards perform marginally better on Linux, though the exact reason for this is not always tied to PCIe differences. Most people on those threads think it has to do with drivers.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That's an important note because I'm using a GTX 970 and a 750ti. 

Granted, this build will do literally nothing other than Folding. So performance outside of Folding is not applicable for my usage (but could be for others, so discussion on that matter is still welcomed)

It's not impossible to do with Nvidia cards, it's just that it will probably be more painful than AMD cards would be. I've gotten Nvidia cards running on Linux and I've gotten AMD cards running on Linux. Nvidia took more work but still happened. I don't know how experienced in Linux you are, but if you are pretty new then I'd consider just sticking to Windows if possible.

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

don't know how experienced in Linux you are, but if you are pretty new then I'd consider just sticking to Windows if possible.

Well...

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I've never used any form of Linux OS's so this will be new to me and I'm wondering if the First-Time-User experience will be worth the learning curve, or if it's only going to net me 1% differences (I'm also reading about how different Overclocking is on Linux)

?

55 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

It's not impossible to do with Nvidia cards, it's just that it will probably be more painful than AMD cards would be. I've gotten Nvidia cards running on Linux and I've gotten AMD cards running on Linux. Nvidia took more work but still happened. I don't know how experienced in Linux you are, but if you are pretty new then I'd consider just sticking to Windows if possible.

Good advice. As you point out no seems to know why it is so, but people empirically observe that Linux systems outperform Windows in Folding. What does seem to be consistent is that these differences are less apparent when running on high-end hardware.

I'm comfortable in Linux but yet had to spend a couple of months to get a good feel for how to tune Linux for best performance in my use case. With a competition under-way it is likely not the right time to be experimenting but to be focusing on just producing as much as we can.

Of course, not experimenting and not trying to compete to the best of our ability against fellow team-mates is likely a foreign concept to the typical LTT forum member!

With my recent purchase of a RTX 2070 for folding I replaced a 1060 in my Linux Folding Dev. system. I've moved that 1060 to my Windows 10 Pro 64 system but I haven't had the time to get Zabbix running on the Windows system yet to actually get some measurements on folding performance to compare the the two.

Even then any comparison will be skewed by the fact the Windows system is my Daily Driver and is also CPU folding on 6/8 threads and is being used for other tasks where the Linux system just folds.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

2 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

Even then any comparison will be skewed by the fact the Windows system is my Daily Driver and is also CPU folding on 6/8 threads and is being used for other tasks where the Linux system just folds.

I think I'll stick to windows for now, and then after the competition month is over, try using Linux (since i'll have a 3 week average at that point) and see if the average scores are any different

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I think I'll stick to windows for now, and then after the competition month is over, try using Linux (since i'll have a 3 week average at that point) and see if the average scores are any different

That would be a really useful comparison.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Mention me in the thread once you have your results ;)

It would also be nice to see the differences at low end hardware like your 750ti compared to a more mid spectrum, the 970. Please also get a RTX2080Ti so we can see what Ubuntu does for the highest end you can get :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

It would also be nice to see the differences at low end hardware like your 750ti compared to a more mid spectrum, the 970. Please also get a RTX2080Ti so we can see what Ubuntu does for the highest end you can get :P

Lemme just spend $1200 for some data, sure :D 

2 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Mention me too - I'd be interested.

My RTX 2070 is currently being driven by a 10-year old Athlon II X2 2.8GHz e/w 3GB DDR3 and a PCIe2x16 and is only producing on average 1.3MPPD

So I can say at this point that new GPUs will definitely work on old hardware under Linux. I could try installing Windows 10 Home 64 on that mobo when were done this month but I think that might be an unfair comparison.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

9 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Mention me too - I'd be interested.

My RTX 2070 is currently being driven by a 10-year old Athlon II X2 2.8GHz e/w 3GB DDR3 and a PCIe2x16 and is only producing on average 1.3MPPD

So I can say at this point that new GPUs will definitely work on old hardware under Linux. I could try installing Windows 10 Home 64 on that mobo when were done this month but I think that might be an unfair comparison.

Nice! My 1080 is only sitting at 800k. :(

Apparently the upgrade is worth it ?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

24 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Nice! My 1080 is only sitting at 800k. :(

Apparently the upgrade is worth it ?

I'm cranking out 890-940,000PPD on a EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black under Linux so even with a 1080 FE you should be able to get more PPD out. I would estimate the average yield is about 915kPPD

EVGA 6 GB GTX 1060 Shortboard under Win10 Pro 64, 11719WU 421,326PPD

EVGA 6 GB GTX 1060 SC Gaming under Linux, 11720 WU 492437 PPD (This is a nice WU, average PPD is more like 420-440kPPD)

If I ever get the same WU running on the 2 1060s I'll post the results with the clocks for comparison.

Honestly if your 1080 is doing its job still I'd hold on until you can take advantage of the new features. I only pulled the trigger as I was planning on getting another 1070Ti for folding and hoping the prices would tank but I missed that window and when I saw the inferred PPD performance for the 2070 from the single-precision FAHBench results I pulled the trigger. Probably would have been better to wait for Black Friday in hopes of another $50 off or whatever but then there was this contest ?

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

I'm cranking out 890-940,000PPD on a EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black under Linux so even with a 1080 FE you should be able to get more PPD out. I would estimate the average yield is about 915kPPD

EVGA 6 GB GTX 1060 Shortboard under Win10 Pro 64, 11719WU 421,326PPD

EVGA 6 GB GTX 1060 SC Gaming under Linux, 11720 WU 492437 PPD (This is a nice WU, average PPD is more like 420-440kPPD)

If I ever get the same WU running on the 2 1060s I'll post the results with the clocks for comparison.

Honestly if your 1080 is doing its job still I'd hold on until you can take advantage of the new features. I only pulled the trigger as I was planning on getting another 1070Ti for folding and hoping the prices would tank but I missed that window and when I saw the inferred PPD performance for the 2070 from the single-precision FAHBench results I pulled the trigger. Probably would have been better to wait for Black Friday in hopes of another $50 off or whatever but then there was this contest ?

whaaaat? Hows that possible? Is it really only the GPU making 890-940k?

What clock speeds is it running at? I have my 1080 at stock, 1885 Core and 4500 memory. i just gave it a little OC to 1950/4600 and i'm now getting 840k instead of 800-820k but that could be the WU. 

My highly OC'ed 1050ti is also at 210-230k with 1960/4500 speeds.

acc. to this speadsheet the 1070Ti generally seems to do better than the 1080 for some reason but i've got one of the best 1050Tis at least, lol. 

Your 1060 are killing it though with almost 500k compared to the average of 370k on this list. thats insane.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html#

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

whaaaat? Hows that possible? Is it really only the GPU making 890-940k?

What clock speeds is it running at? I have my 1080 at stock, 1885 Core and 4500 memory. i just gave it a little OC to 1950/4600 and i'm now getting 840k instead of 800-820k but that could be the WU. 

My highly OC'ed 1050ti is also at 210-230k with 1960/4500 speeds.

acc. to this speadsheet the 1070Ti generally seems to do better than the 1080 for some reason but i've got one of the best 1050Tis at least, lol. 

Your 1060 are killing it though with almost 500k compared to the average of 370k on this list. thats insane.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html#

The 1070 Ti is running pretty much continuously at 2014MHz with a +800MHz Memory overclock, Maximum Power Limit, 70% Fan speed, at 50C over ambient (23-26C), 180W average power. It is the upper card in a 2 card dedicated folding system in a PCIe3 x16 slot running at x8 in a Z370 Aorus Gaming 5, Pentium G5400, 8GB DDR4 2600 with Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Server. The chassis is a fractal Define S filled with a mix of 140mm Noctua iPPC and AF fans with 2 fans CPU controlled and the rest controlled by the GPU slot temperature with custom curves.

The average PCIe utilization as reported by the nvidia-smi utility is 48MB/s for RX and 62MB/s Tx.

All these averages are over a 24 hour interval as reported by my Zabbix server.

Averages in that spreadsheet should be taken with several spoonfuls of salt. Dig down into the by GPU tab and look for newer postings with current WUs and similar clockspeeds. Also note that there is no indication if the GPU was water cooled or, if air cooled, the type of heat sink and fan combination.

the 1060 in that rig runs at 2.03GHz with a +125MHz graphics and +800MHz Memory offset, 70% fan, 37C over ambient, Maximum power limit, 128W average.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

And then Wild Bill Showed Up:

WildBill.jpgI'll take option 3, sometime in December for 10,000PPD please Alex

Moving to Folding Month ...

Edited by Gorgon
Whoops - wrong thread

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

I finally got my Windows Daily Driver monitored by my Zabbix server. Had to translate a bunch of scripts from Linux utilities to Dos commands - talk about a nightmare.

I'm going to have to some testing once Folding Month is over but see if you can spot the difference between Windows and Linux and spot any potential issues.

Linux:

Acer nForce iTX mobo, AMD Athlon II X2 2.9GHz, 3 GB DDR2, RTX 2070 in PCIe2 x 16

Linux_PCIe_Util.png.b98daa5325ac5d0eba893914094620c4.png

Windows:

SuperMicro X10SL7-F, e3-1231v3 Xenon, 32GB DDR3 Cruicial ECC, GTX 1060 in PCIe3 x16 (at x8)

Windows_PCIe_Util.png.8a118f295c86ddc3f35af36f99e06413.png

Note: These values were capture using the nvidia-smi utility polling every minute

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

On 11/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, TVwazhere said:

Once were into December start a thread up about switching to Linux and I would be happy to help you get going. I used a couple of different threads for advice and I'll dig them up and post them.

I went with Ubuntu which I'd never used before, I've been using SuSE at work for about 20 years and more recently work has switched over to Red Hat.

Ubuntu was _relatively_ painless for a Linux Distro install which is what Canonical, the company that supports it, was going for but there are several very subtle gotchas that will bite you in the ass getting folding working on a headless (i.e. no monitor or keyboard connected) folding system.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

• 3 weeks later...

So The folding month has ended, which means I'm going to be looking to start benchmarking Project ITNOS on a Window 7 HDD install, and maybe within a months time I'll try switching to Linux....

Man am I gonna need help when that day comes :D