Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pol1uX

No Turbo in bios, and no i don't think it's enabled by default.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I got this LENOVO Ideapad 720 a few days ago and it comes with a:

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 550

Cpu: i7-8550u 1.8ghz, turbo: 4.0ghz

Ram: 16gb

My problem is that in task manger it says that the maximum cpu speed is at 1.99ghz when it should be at 4ghz (if it's enabled by default). I tried going over to bios and found nothing helpful. I tried cpu z and when i did do cpu intensive stuff it only when up to somewhere around 798.10mhz so it doesn't go up the 1.99ghz limit. It is really affecting my gaming and work.

2 minutes ago, Pol1uX said:

I got this LENOVO Ideapad 720 a few days ago and it comes with a:

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 550

Cpu: i7-8550u 1.8ghz, turbo: 4.0ghz

Ram: 16gb

My problem is that in task manger it says that the maximum cpu speed is at 1.99ghz when it should be at 4ghz (if it's enabled by default). I tried going over to bios and found nothing helpful. I tried cpu z and when i did do cpu intensive stuff it only when up to somewhere around 798.10mhz so it doesn't go up the 1.99ghz limit. It is really affecting my gaming and work.

Did you change your power plan to performance in windows power setting?

8 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Please check the CPU temperature while doing a intense task. It may not be going at full speed because of thermal limits. ;) 

I have the Same CPU and you can over clock it by changing the power limit With Intel's Extreme Tuning software.

then it can hold it's turbo for longer if the cooling allows it.

which i think it does because i have the X1 Tablet and it holds up pretty well, and a laptop should do even better .

Positive Mental Additude!

Also Finally my setup Ready

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet:

I7 8550U ( OCed at 4,0Ghz constant all cores)

16GB Ram

256gb NVMe storage ( upgrading to 1 TB soon )

eGPU Nvidia GTX 1080

16 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Please check the CPU temperature while doing a intense task. It may not be going at full speed because of thermal limits. ;) 

My temps are fine and isn't hot at all. I found something else though, on those images below the first one it seems like my cpu is only running on the bus and is giving out only 99.7mhz but on the turbo clock side it says it can run 4000.0mhz and i want to enable that.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

9 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

I have the Same CPU and you can over clock it by changing the power limit With Intel's Extreme Tuning software.

then it can hold it's turbo for longer if the cooling allows it.

which i think it does because i have the X1 Tablet and it holds up pretty well, and a laptop should do even better .

I'll try that out, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Pol1uX said:

I'll try that out, thanks.

Note that this is a Turbo boost, not a full time set clockspeed.

But you can extend it with the Intel Extreme Tuning software, i can send you some screenshot's of my settings when i get home if you give me a DM.

Unless other people want to see it too which i doubt :P

Positive Mental Additude!

Also Finally my setup Ready

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet:

I7 8550U ( OCed at 4,0Ghz constant all cores)

16GB Ram

256gb NVMe storage ( upgrading to 1 TB soon )

eGPU Nvidia GTX 1080

For some reason whenever i do any cpu intensive my cpu speed only goes up to 1.97ghz and doesn't go up any higher and that really affects the performance, i have an intel i7 8550u which has a base frequency of 1.80ghz and max turbo frequency of 4.00ghz. At the moment in task manager it says that the maximum cpu speed is 1.99ghz. Alot of things is wrong here, first my cpu speed only goes up to 1.97ghz and secondly it says maximum cpu speed is 1.99ghz when it's supposed to be 4.00ghz. If anyone has a solution to this please reply.

That's cause it's a laptop and the "4ghz" advertised just means on one core at one time.  You might be able to get to the bios and increase it, but I doubt t on a laptop.

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen r5 1600 w/ stock cooler

Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro 4

Ram: GSkill Aegis 16gb 3000 MHz

Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480gb SSD and Hitachi 2tb 7200 rpm HDD

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1080 8gb

Case: Corsair Crystal 280x non rgb + 2 be quiet! 140mm case fans + 2 corsair 120mm fans

PSU: 750w Seasonic Focus Plus Gold

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB

Headset: Philips SHP 9500

* Threads merged *

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

23 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

That's cause it's a laptop and the "4ghz" advertised just means on one core at one time.  You might be able to get to the bios and increase it, but I doubt t on a laptop.

What do you mean by that? You mean that the 4ghz is only running on 1 core or since i have a quad core cpu, each core is running at 4ghz?

1 of your 4 cores will turbo to 4Ghz for as long as the task requires or you hit thermal throttleing. Listen to the people telling you about EXT. You can change your power setting to performance and overclock some. But your laptop was never meant to run the full CPU at 4Ghz.

Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Toshiba 1TB HDD, Silicon Power 120Gb SSD, Rosewill Stryker M

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

1 of your 4 cores will turbo to 4Ghz for a fraction of a second, that's it. Listen to the people telling you about EXT. You can change your power setting to performance and overclock some. But your laptop was never meant to run the full CPU at 4Ghz.

Ah alright. bit of disappointed though. Thanks alot!!