No Turbo in bios, and no i don't think it's enabled by default.

Pol1uX

I got this LENOVO Ideapad 720 a few days ago and it comes with a:

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 550

Cpu: i7-8550u 1.8ghz, turbo: 4.0ghz

Ram: 16gb

My problem is that in task manger it says that the maximum cpu speed is at 1.99ghz when it should be at 4ghz (if it's enabled by default). I tried going over to bios and found nothing helpful. I tried cpu z and when i did do cpu intensive stuff it only when up to somewhere around 798.10mhz so it doesn't go up the 1.99ghz limit. It is really affecting my gaming and work.

2 minutes ago, Pol1uX said:

I got this LENOVO Ideapad 720 a few days ago and it comes with a:

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 550

Cpu: i7-8550u 1.8ghz, turbo: 4.0ghz

Ram: 16gb

My problem is that in task manger it says that the maximum cpu speed is at 1.99ghz when it should be at 4ghz (if it's enabled by default). I tried going over to bios and found nothing helpful. I tried cpu z and when i did do cpu intensive stuff it only when up to somewhere around 798.10mhz so it doesn't go up the 1.99ghz limit. It is really affecting my gaming and work.

Did you change your power plan to performance in windows power setting?

Please check the CPU temperature while doing a intense task. It may not be going at full speed because of thermal limits. ;) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Please check the CPU temperature while doing a intense task. It may not be going at full speed because of thermal limits. ;) 

I have the Same CPU and you can over clock it by changing the power limit With Intel's Extreme Tuning software.

then it can hold it's turbo for longer if the cooling allows it.

which i think it does because i have the X1 Tablet and it holds up pretty well, and a laptop should do even better .

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

16 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

My temps are fine and isn't hot at all. I found something else though, on those images below the first one it seems like my cpu is only running on the bus and is giving out only 99.7mhz but on the turbo clock side it says it can run 4000.0mhz and i want to enable that.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

9 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

I have the Same CPU and you can over clock it by changing the power limit With Intel's Extreme Tuning software.

then it can hold it's turbo for longer if the cooling allows it.

which i think it does because i have the X1 Tablet and it holds up pretty well, and a laptop should do even better .

I'll try that out, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Pol1uX said:

I'll try that out, thanks.

Note that this is a Turbo boost, not a full time set clockspeed.

But you can extend it with the Intel Extreme Tuning software, i can send you some screenshot's of my settings when i get home if you give me a DM.

Unless other people want to see it too which i doubt :P

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

For some reason whenever i do any cpu intensive my cpu speed only goes up to 1.97ghz and doesn't go up any higher and that really affects the performance, i have an intel i7 8550u which has a base frequency of 1.80ghz and max turbo frequency of 4.00ghz. At the moment in task manager it says that the maximum cpu speed is 1.99ghz. Alot of things is wrong here, first my cpu speed only goes up to 1.97ghz and secondly it says maximum cpu speed is 1.99ghz when it's supposed to be 4.00ghz. If anyone has a solution to this please reply.

That's cause it's a laptop and the "4ghz" advertised just means on one core at one time.  You might be able to get to the bios and increase it, but I doubt t on a laptop.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

23 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

That's cause it's a laptop and the "4ghz" advertised just means on one core at one time.  You might be able to get to the bios and increase it, but I doubt t on a laptop.

What do you mean by that? You mean that the 4ghz is only running on 1 core or since i have a quad core cpu, each core is running at 4ghz?

1 of your 4 cores will turbo to 4Ghz for as long as the task requires or you hit thermal throttleing. Listen to the people telling you about EXT. You can change your power setting to performance and overclock some. But your laptop was never meant to run the full CPU at 4Ghz.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

1 of your 4 cores will turbo to 4Ghz for a fraction of a second, that's it. Listen to the people telling you about EXT. You can change your power setting to performance and overclock some. But your laptop was never meant to run the full CPU at 4Ghz.

Ah alright. bit of disappointed though. Thanks alot!!