Does it matter where fans are plugged in for radiator?

Mauser1938

Hi I just finished changing the fans on the Corsair H115i aio ans was wondering if it mattered where they are plugged into. On the aio there are two fan connecters that can be used to connect the fans. I was wondering if they are for convenience or should be used as currently I have them plugged into the Corsair controller. Also the aio doesn’t show up in Corsair link like the ram and fans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

So long as you're happy with the level of control you have over them, your stuff isn't overheating and you aren't overloading any headers amps-wise, it's fine.

Which H115i do you have? There are several variations. The newest (the H115i Platinum) won't show up in Link; you'll need iCue for that. The earlier versions show up in Link as long as you  have the USB plugged in (or should, at least).

And you should have the fans connected to the cooler. That will allow Link/iCue to control the fans via the onboard controller and the controller to do it based on coolant temp when Link/iCue isn't running.

3 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

Which H115i do you have? There are several variations. The newest (the H115i Platinum) won't show up in Link; you'll need iCue for that. The earlier versions show up in Link as long as you  have the USB plugged in (or should, at least).

And you should have the fans connected to the cooler. That will allow Link/iCue to control the fans via the onboard controller and the controller to do it based on coolant temp when Link/iCue isn't running.

It’s the H115i RGB I believe. So I should unplug them from the controller and connect them to wires off the cooler? The fans show up in link/icue and I can control their speeds but it’s better to have it plugged into the extension off of the cooler itself? Sorry very new at this lol

5 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

H115i Pro RBG*

Ideally, yes, they should be in the controller. I'm a bit more concerned that the cooler isn't showing up in Link. That one should, at least as long as the USB is connected. Look for the Corsair USBXP driver in Device Manager ... it may need a little kick ... disable and then enable it.

I would recommend going to iCue if you are using LInk but you'll lose your fan curves.

If moving from Link to iCue, look here for a tool to transfer the fan curves:

Not mentioned yet, it does depend on your motherboard. My statement has headers for AIO pump and CPU 1 and 2 fans. When I did use Corsair, I didn't connect the USB as I really hated Corsairs software.

For my new cooler, I plug the 3rd fan into an aux header and change it to CPU temp based in BIOS.

It all depends on how you want to control temps and how good your motherboard is.  The headers off the CPU is good if you like the software. I personally prefer my motherboard software for control over Corsairs crap.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:19 AM, Evanair said:

Not mentioned yet, it does depend on your motherboard. My statement has headers for AIO pump and CPU 1 and 2 fans. When I did use Corsair, I didn't connect the USB as I really hated Corsairs software.

For my new cooler, I plug the 3rd fan into an aux header and change it to CPU temp based in BIOS.

It all depends on how you want to control temps and how good your motherboard is.  The headers off the CPU is good if you like the software. I personally prefer my motherboard software for control over Corsairs crap.

Fair enough. But doing that you do lose control over the cooler's RGB as well as monitoring of the pump temperature. And while controlling the fans based on CPU temps is workable (particularly if you are smart about your hysteresis), the proper temp variable for radiator fans is the coolant temperature. You can't get that using the motherboard.