Windows 10 Pro Licenses Are Being Downgraded To Home

41 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

BTW, despite Steam updating some games and maxing out my internet, I was able to get W10 Pro to activate just now.

Pssssttt.....steam updates dont touch your upload, it wouldnt affect anything reaching out. 

20 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Can you get a refund if your Windows 10 Pro is courtesy of a 7 Pro license you yanked off of a yard sale prebuilt? What if you have 10 Pro on six different computers because you did that six times? Will I get $1,200 from Microsoft? ?

Microsoft: Sorry, only un-activate license keys can be refund within x amount of days. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Laughs because Windows home still better than macOS.

MacOS is more secure than Windows OS when it comes to malware/virus spreading. 

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

MacOS is more secure than Windows OS when it comes to malware/virus spreading. 

Yeah mean it's the baby proof house of operating systems that allows you to do very little. Is it more secure? I would have to say no. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah mean it's the baby proof house of operating systems that allows you to do very little. Is it more secure? I would have to say no. 

When it comes to malware/virus spreading it is more secure than Windows OS. 

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Oh no, what will everyone that has pro yet never touches the pro features doooooooo.....

On home, you can't join a domain, assign group policy ( a way to fix some of the annoying shit in 10), can't use remote desktop, or use bitlocker. Aside from that, on 10 or another version, it's what they paid for. 

Besides, it's partly the badge. 

I was trying to find that clip of futurma where someone steals their hood ornament and leela says "now how will people know we have the LX package?" but finding futurma clips is impossible. 

Thanks to content id for making finding clips of the most clippable show in existence impossible. 

Image result for bender's game hood ornament

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

When it comes to malware/virus spreading it is more secure than Windows OS. 

Many of Windows viruses are more inconveniences then anything else, and a System Restore can be done and poof, it is like nothing happened.

MacOS/OSX are attacks that enter hardware firmware chip and auto-injects itself even you re-install. You need to replace your system.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mac-efi-flaw-attack,news-25911.html

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2955641/cybercrime-hacking/macs-can-be-remotely-infected-with-firmware-malware-that-remains-after-reformatting.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/07/22/apple-laptops-vulnerable-to-hack-that-kills-or-corrupts-batteries/#1d07d64e36ec

So maybe you have less, but they are sure deadly, and not to mention, costly to you.

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

On home, you can't join a domain, assign group policy ( a way to fix some of the annoying shit in 10), can't use remote desktop, or use bitlocker. Aside from that, on 10 or another version, it's what they paid for. 

Besides, it's partly the badge. 

All of which are irrelevant to 90% of the people using it. This really only affects businesses which who have good sysadmins are testing and monitoring reports before deploying the update. 

The rest being people who bought pro specifically (which is understandable) and the people who bought PCs with pro already on it but never use any of the features. The later wont even notice anything unless bitlocker is on (maybe?)

This is a big deal for a few select people.

Checked my activation status, still activated with Win10 Pro.(upgraded from Win7 Ult., not using a microsoft account  but a Local account, if that matters)

Since I do actually use quite a few features of Windows 10 Pro, it would sucks being sent to Home version. (group policies, bitlocker, etc etc... I like having a bit more control over my OS and Home just doesn't provide that)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Many of Windows viruses are more inconveniences then anything else, and a System Restore can be done and poof, it is like nothing happened.

MacOS/OSX are attacks that enter hardware firmware chip and auto-injects itself even you re-install. You need to replace your system.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mac-efi-flaw-attack,news-25911.html

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2955641/cybercrime-hacking/macs-can-be-remotely-infected-with-firmware-malware-that-remains-after-reformatting.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/07/22/apple-laptops-vulnerable-to-hack-that-kills-or-corrupts-batteries/#1d07d64e36ec

So maybe you have less, but they are sure deadly, and not to mention, costly to you.

I still wouldn't use System Restore to fix an infected machine because malware can modify those restore points you created easily, and this technique is very old. But dam, MacOS infection is more worse than Windows OS infection. EFI attack is also on Windows OS as well 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/10/first-uefi-malware-discovered-in-wild-is-laptop-security-software-hijacked-by-russians/

Honestly, Windows 10 is just so trash I don't want to put up with it ever. It was announced most Mac users are actually on their first Mac - around 50%. You know 10 is trash when it makes you want to spend so much to get a Mac. 

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

this kind of stuff is why i'm still using windows 8.1

...which is just as vulnerable to this sort of thing...

Activation server bugs in particular don't really care what you're using, if you have a license tied to a microsoft account you're liable to be hit by something like this. It's just chance that 10 was affected.

At least, that's my speculation - I don't think windows regularly calls home to check if the key is valid unless you tied it to a microsoft account, but I could be wrong. Maybe @GoodBytes can offer some insight? Either way, ms account or not this is most likely not a problem with W10 itself but rather with the entire key activation method used by MS.

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Man you must be so tired at the end of every day...running around telling all the people who use Windows that you're a Linux user must really take a toll on the body...

image.png.992c9397484be64fa48ef20d273a8480.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

All of which are irrelevant to 90% of the people using it. This really only affects businesses which who have good sysadmins are testing and monitoring reports before deploying the update. 

The rest being people who bought pro specifically (which is understandable) and the people who bought PCs with pro already on it but never use any of the features. The later wont even notice anything unless bitlocker is on (maybe?)

oh so they can just downgrade people if they dont use those features anyway that's just A-ok. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

same thing literilly happened to me after a refresh, forced to nuke the install and start over :c

48 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Laughs because Windows home still better than macOS.

Sure :3 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Ahhhh im not going to turn off my computer for a while, it can be asleep until this is fixed. 

Its still waiting to do the update that loses files. I aint having that 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

28 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Remote desktop and bitlocker can be useful outside of a corporate environment. Not that it matters much since the pro key is more expensive. Also, I don't think we know if it's a problem with an update or something with MS' servers and if it's the latter no amount of competent sysadmins can save you.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

oh so they can just downgrade people if they dont use those features anyway that's just A-ok. 

Didnt say its ok

40 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Why do you make these statements without using MacOS? Theres pretty little that you can't do on MacOS compared to windows. The only thing I'd ever need Windows for is just to use apps that can't be run natively and need performance. Same goes for Linux. Theres actually very little need for Windows now that Steam has brought their implementation of WINE in - especially with the large premium you have to pay for Windows.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Remote desktop and bitlocker can be useful outside of a corporate environment. Not that it matters much since the pro key is more expensive. Also, I don't think we know if it's a problem with an update or something with MS' servers and if it's the latter no amount of competent sysadmins can save you.

It can be useful outside of corporate environments, but again, its a drop in lake of most users. 

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

especially with the large premium you have to pay for Windows.

You are kidding right? Until a month ago the cheapest entry into MacOS was $1000 for a dual core TN panel laptop. Even with MacOS being free its expensive just to get it. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

For those who is wondering. Every now and then (every few days), and when you upgrade, Windows does a license check, if you happen to fall to the period of maintenance from the Activation Service, you have this issue. So that is why it doesn't affect everyone.

Sounds like poor Software Engineering to me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Until a month ago the cheapest entry into MacOS was $1000 for a dual core TN panel laptop.

It still is if you want a laptop. If you don't, the mac mini was cheaper than that.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sounds like poor Software Engineering to me. 

More like corporate callousness... gotta get 'em pirates amirite...?

No matter if we only end up damaging our paying customers...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You are kidding right? Until a month ago the cheapest entry into MacOS was $1000 for a dual core TN panel laptop. Even with MacOS being free its expensive just to get it. 

You're a bit silly to look at one aspect of a computer and say its way overpriced. I'd prefer a 12" MacBook that's $1000 than a brick that happens to have two more cores and a nicer display (Which is kinda stupid - it may be a TN panel but looks way nicer than laptops of similar price) for $500. Some people don't want their laptops to be made out of plastic junk. 

Linux is also available and better than Windows - with no premium at all, its free. 

Just now, Sauron said:

More like corporate callousness... gotta get 'em pirates amirite...?

No matter if we only end up damaging our paying customers...

I mean it doesn’t even take someone who is certified in any level of IT to know that your system shouldn’t check for acitivations while the activation servers are down!