Windows 10 Pro Licenses Are Being Downgraded To Home

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

no. Windows 8.1 is better than 7. 

Nope, to me both 7 and 10 is better than 8.1..

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

On home, you can't join a domain, assign group policy ( a way to fix some of the annoying shit in 10), can't use remote desktop, or use bitlocker. Aside from that, on 10 or another version, it's what they paid for. 

Besides, it's partly the badge. 

don't forget the ability to use multiple cpu's. 

She/Her

Just now, Mihle said:

i've never had an issue with 8.1... and at least to me 8.1 feels faster than 7. probably because it's newer. 

She/Her

I fell asleep minutes before this thread. I am very happy to have avoided this dumpster fire of  "OS X IS WAY BETTER THAN OS Y BECAUSE IT'S THE ONE I USE"

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just encountered this issue, reactivated had to go through some hoops but now back to my windows 10 pro activated. MS needs to figure out how to stop mucking with versions.

17 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Why does it even need to be reconfirmed every time?Have they done that with Win 7 and 8?

I am fairly sure Microsoft have been using a similar system for Windows 7 and 8, where your computer is periodically checked if it's running a valid key.

17 hours ago, knightslugger said:

It shouldn't, i've never even heard of a W10P licence expiring...

It happens all the time.

Try swapping out a few components in your PC and you have a high risk of your license being invalidated. Especially if it's something like a motherboard swap.

17 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Oh no, what will everyone that has pro yet never touches the pro features doooooooo.....

Considering how often "you can just defer updates" gets brought up as an excuse for not giving users full control over updates, I'd say quite a lot of people use the Pro features (update deferral is a Pro-only feature). Plus, a lot of people use GPOs for things like disabling automatic updates, which is another thing only Pro can use.

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

Only thing that would make 7 better is having the start menu that windows 10 has, that's been quite useful for pinning and organising apps I frequently use.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Considering how often "you can just defer updates" gets brought up as an excuse for not giving users full control over updates, I'd say quite a lot of people use the Pro features (update deferral is a Pro-only feature). Plus, a lot of people use GPOs for things like disabling automatic updates, which is another thing only Pro can use.

I'm guilty of saying this a lot.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

update deferral is a Pro-only feature

Wait seriously? When did this become a thing?

4 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i've never had an issue with 8.1... and at least to me 8.1 feels faster than 7. probably because it's newer. 

8.1 is faster, better GUI, better looking and had nearly zero issues for its few years in service. 

I love 10 but 8.1 is the shit.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

8.1 is faster, better GUI, better looking and had nearly zero issues for its few years in service. 

I love 10 but 8.1 is the shit.

i hate 10. if it were up to me 10 would just go away and we'd have 8.1 mainstream again. 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Wait seriously? When did this become a thing?

that's always been a thing with Windows 10 as far as i know... 

She/Her

5 hours ago, YaBoiWill said:

So when I upgrade my motherboard, poof windows key gone? does this also happen if the key is linked to an account? 

The key isn't "gone", but you'll need to reactivate.  If you tie your activation key to an MS account, it just makes it easier to reactivate.

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i only just remembered this, but for people with dual-cpu systems, if it downgrades to home you lose half of your cpu power, because Windows 10 home can only use 1 cpu... 

has that happened to anyone yet?

The computers weren't actually being downgraded to Home edition, it was just telling people that their license was for Home instead of Pro.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It happens all the time.

Try swapping out a few components in your PC and you have a high risk of your license being invalidated. Especially if it's something like a motherboard swap.

right, but NOTHING CHANGED, so how could a key expire?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Nothing changed on your machine (that we know of), but something might have changed on the activation server, which communicates with your computer.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Nothing changed on your machine (that we know of), but something might have changed on the activation server, which communicates with your computer.

that doesn't address the question. How can a product key expire? invalidated, yes, it happens frequently. that's not the same thing.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

As far as we know, nothing expired or was invalidated with the Win10 Pro issue, it's simply a bug with the licence server. For some reason MS changed the licencing to a server based one for Win10, and it seems it's creating issues even MS didn't foresee!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

i hate 10. if it were up to me 10 would just go away and we'd have 8.1 mainstream again. 

7 would be better. Its far more stable and it has an actually usable mature GUI... 8.1 on the other hand is just a bad reskin of 7 that has a very bad identity crisis.

44 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

and it seems it's creating issues even MS didn't foresee!

After throwing out the testing department? What a surprise... xD

Edited by jagdtigger

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

It can't unless the key wasn't officially released for retail use.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

So did the fix actually convert Home users back to their original Pro, or did it just activate and left it at Home Edition.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

7 would be better. Its far more stable and it has an actually usable mature GUI... 8.1 on the other hand is just a bad reskin of 7 that has a very bad identity crisis.

7 is more unstable than 8.1... i've had more issues on 7...

also 7 is painfully slow even on a decent system because it's so old. 8.1 is also compatible with more stuff. 8.1 is just a better OS. 

and 8.1 has an identity crisis? really? it has 2 seperate interfaces. the traditional desktop and metro ui. very logical. if you don't want to use metro, you can use an app to get the 7 style start menu back. 

Windows 10 has an identity crisis. half of the settings are in the metro ui settings app and the other half are in the legacy control panel. and you can't get around it because they removed things from the legacy control panel in 10. 8.1 has at least as far as i know all the settings in the legacy control panel. 

She/Her

32 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

also 7 is painfully slow even on a decent system because it's so old.

What? They perform the exact same, within margin of error in the majority of cases, they're practically the same OS with slightly different GUIs (with minor changes under the hood)... If 7 is painfully slow, then 8.1 and 10 are too. Also, do you have any statistics to support this claim that 8.1 is more stable or are you just referring to personal experience? Because I have heard no such thing from anyone and in MY personal experience, they're the exact same and I've used both OSes extensively.

Didn't want to join in on the derailment of this thread, but this is clear misinformation.

EDIT: Read your signature, have a lot more respect for you now.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Guys, who fucking cares what OS performs worse or better?

Can we keep this ON TOPIC PLEASE? I'd like to know the status of the "bug fix" or the extent of the problem.

I don't want to hear about your glorious Linux uptime...

System specs:

15 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

What? They perform the exact same, within margin of error in the majority of cases, they're practically the same OS with slightly different GUIs (with minor changes under the hood)... If 7 is painfully slow, then 8.1 and 10 are too.

in my experience it takes longer for apps to launch, longer to boot up, etc. i'm not talking about straight up benchmarks, but more about general performance opening things and rebooting the system. i also said painfully a little bit sarcastic.

16 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Also, do you have any statistics to support this claim that 8.1 is more stable or are you just referring to personal experience? Because I have heard no such thing from anyone and in MY personal experience, they're the exact same and I've used both OSes extensively.

i said this:

47 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i've had more issues on 7...

17 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Didn't want to join in on the derailment of this thread, but this is clear misinformation.

my signature says that i can be wrong and you should do your own research.

18 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

EDIT: Read your signature, have a lot more respect for you now.

why? because i have so many computers?

She/Her

56 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

7 is more unstable than 8.1... i've had more issues on 7...

I seen more issues on forums regarding 8*8.1/10 than 7... 9_9