Samsung OneUI

DrHeadbump

New features for the upcoming update for Samsung devices?

For full details check link provided:

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/one-ui/

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-one-ui-922862/

The logo image of One UI

Made to focus

One UI helps you focus on what really matters to you. With hardware and software working together in harmony, see only what you need,
using and viewing your phone with an experience that feels second nature. Because it’s the small details that make a big difference.

Samsung have now announced that they will:  

• Use a new UI design for Samsung phones.
  • Samsung will now focus more of simplicity and less cluttered UI. 
  • A dark mode will be available.
  • The UI will be improved for one hand use

Beta program will be available in these countries:

November:USA, Germany and South Korea

2019: China, France, India, Poland, Spain and UK. 

This is may be exiting news for people that want a Samsung phone but don't like the current UI.  This could also mean that Samsung users could receive updates sooner then before. 

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

@Dr Headbump Your thread was moved out of the Tech News section because it doesn't follow the posting guidelines, if you want your thread to be moved back in, please make sure to edit it to fulfill the requirements ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Poland was listed as one of the locations that can take part in the beta, however I do not see the notice in the Samsung Members app about it. I have a Galaxy S9.

What I found on the page:

*** The One UI Beta Program may only be available to certain devices, OS, and countries. Galaxy S9/S9+ with Android 9 Pie.

But the Galaxy S9 did not receive an Android 9 Pie update yet...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That's great, also finally dark theme. Thw S10 is currently the most anticipated device so hopefully it lives up to it's name as an anniversary phone. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

We have to wait until 2020 to take part in the beta releasing this month.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Poland was listed as one of the locations that can take part in the beta, however I do not see the notice in the Samsung Members app about it. I have a Galaxy S9.

What I found on the page:

According to news sources, S9, S9+ and Note 9 wont be getting Pie until Jan/Feb apparently.

25 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

We have to wait until 2020 to take part in the beta releasing this month.

Can't tell if being serious or.....

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

47 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Can't tell if being serious or.....

It's a joke because Samsung doesn't consistently release updates.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

3 hours ago, Emberstone said:

It's a joke because Samsung doesn't consistently release updates.

If you're on a flagship they do. Just not of the OS update nature.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you're on a flagship they do. Just not of the OS update nature.

Indeed. Still having securities update reliably and I'm pretty sure I'll get android 9 when that comes on my s8. They're not necessarily fast for major updates but they do them. Besides, the latest major releases of Android haven't been ground-breaking for Samsung users, as a lot was already there available with the extra Samsung software already anyway.

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Indeed. Still having securities update reliably and I'm pretty sure I'll get android 9 when that comes on my s8. They're not necessarily fast for major updates but they do them. Besides, the latest major releases of Android haven't been ground-breaking for Samsung users, as a lot was already there available with the extra Samsung software already anyway.

Yeah.

It's more like Google catching up to ROMs on other devices. Android OS updates contain to be lacking in any meaningful changes.

Also iirc even devices as old as the S6 are getting monthly security updates so they're definitely spending money delivering patches to devices.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Rumor has it that the S8/Note8 might not get the new UI

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

What’s the point of a new UI if your phone would never get the new version of android in forever

44 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Rumor has it that the S8/Note8 might not get the new UI

Lucky them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Lucky them.

And I thought I was the only one who thought so.

Really not a fan of the new UI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

It's more of the fucking ugly material design and too Google bullshitery for me. Kitkat's design was soooooo much better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I don't see how this would improve the speed of updates...

It's nice to see that they're adapting their skin to change with larger phones. Though, this shouldn't really surprise anyone. It's kind of necessary.

I'm interested to see how it pans out. With the S9 getting a decent price cut for Black Friday, it might be my new phone.

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I don't see how anyone can already hate it considering we know next to nothing and you haven't used it 9_9

You might as well have said "not really a fan, I hate any kind of change."

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, Drak3 said:

It's more of the fucking ugly material design and too Google bullshitery for me. Kitkat's design was soooooo much better.

Again, I thought I was the only one who thought the same.

Android Pie to me looks like utter ass. It's like a mishmash of everything bad with old Material alongside everything bad with old TouchWiz. And people think this is beautiful? Come on.

This is one of those cases where I think Samsung should've just stuck to where they were. I never found anything wrong with SE's design aesthetic (I vastly prefer it to stock Android, actually).

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't see how anyone can already hate it considering we know next to nothing and you haven't used it 9_9

You might as well have said "not really a fan, I hate any kind of change."

It's not really the change. It's how I am not feeling the overall design aesthetic.

I've used stock Android Pie, and I still am not a fan of the overall aesthetic. Oreo, Nougat and especially Marshmallow looked clean and modern to a degree. It wasn't overly playful or anything. It had that mix of playfulness alongside some level of sophistication. Holo was still the peak of Android design for me, personally.

Don't get me wrong. There are features that I like in OneUI. What I'm not a fan of is how it seems to mirror the UX of stock Android Pie, which I still abhor to this day because it reminds me way too much of the design of old TouchWiz, which I still continuously abhor.

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

don't see how anyone can already hate it considering we know next to nothing and you haven't used it

We looked at it on Samsung's site.

And if we're all being honest here, most Android UI differ almost entirely on just how it looks and placement of a few small elements. We don't need to use it to know we won't like the ugly PoS.

And OneUI is exactly that. An aesthetic change (for the worse) and wasting screen real estate by moving some small elements down.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Man, I wonder since when did Google's design team went downhill...

Pie looks like barf to me

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I wonder since when did Google's design team went downhill...

Release of Android 5.0. Same with the rest of the Android development team.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

It's not really the change. It's how I am not feeling the overall design aesthetic.

I've used stock Android Pie, and I still am not a fan of the overall aesthetic. Oreo, Nougat and especially Marshmallow looked clean and modern to a degree. It wasn't overly playful or anything. It had that mix of playfulness alongside some level of sophistication. Holo was still the peak of Android design for me, personally.

Don't get me wrong. There are features that I like in OneUI. What I'm not a fan of is how it seems to mirror the UX of stock Android Pie, which I still abhor to this day because it reminds me way too much of the design of old TouchWiz, which I still continuously abhor.

As long as it doesn't suck the resources like old TouchWiz ?

We'll have to wait and see what makes it through the Beta process and what changes. I still like Samsung's tweaks to Android more than any other company.

The customizable vibration patterns on my Note5 were...almost too customizable.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

We looked at it on Samsung's site.

And if we're all being honest here, most Android UI differ almost entirely on just how it looks and placement of a few small elements. We don't need to use it to know we won't like the ugly PoS.

And OneUI is exactly that. An aesthetic change (for the worse) and wasting screen real estate by moving some small elements down.

Right. Because looking at a handful of screenshots is totally the same as actually using it ?

It's also not even in Beta yet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Because looking at a handful of screenshots is totally the same as actually using it

There is literally nothing Samsung can do differently other than aesthetics without heavily diminishing UX. And even then, looking at Samsung's site, the UX is still heavily diminished with the wasted screen realestate. If it gets pushed onto my Note 9, I might as well go back to my old S4 because I'll have about as much unwasted space and a UI that doesn't make me want to bleach my eyes out.

It's an ugly reskin of Samsung Experience, which is just a slimmed down Touchwiz. The marketting fluff is just that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Release of Android 5.0. Same with the rest of the Android development team.

At least Material v1 had some modern touches IMO

Material v2 is just absolute barf

Lol, so they just copied MIUI 10 ? No, really, if you look at the design, it's the same as MIUI 10 on latest Xiaomi phones... Everything in rectangular shapes with rounded edges...