Content creation laptop suggestions and opinions

Hello everyone,

Let me try to be as short as possible.

I am looking for a very portable laptop for heavy content creation. I do 3D animations, heavy After Effects and a lot of photo editing, and with that travel a lot.

So I am looking for something with a great display, preferably at least 98% Adobe RGB, i7 8750h, and dedicated graphics card, like 1050 or 1060.

I really do not care about battery that much, as it is going to be plugged in while doing most of my work.

Portability is crucial, so as slim and light as possible.

My options for now are:

• Razer Blade 2018 (PROS: great screen, great hardware, very light, 1080p versions is affordable CONS: heat issues, a lot of problems and RMAs)
  • MacBook Pro (PROS: great screen, support and reliability  CONS: Too expensive with not great hardware and IO)
  • Asus Zenbook Pro UX550GE (PROS: good screen, affordable, good hardware CONS: build quality)
  • Dell XPS 15 (PROS: great screen, good hardware, portable CONS: a lot of issues, RMAs, pricey)

If any of you have any suggestions of a laptop that I should add to the list, have experience with any of the ones on the list, or something I should add, I am all ears!

Thank you!

Been an XPS user for about a year and a half now and I can say that I probably won't buy another model of laptop. I love it

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Sorry I'm not answering to your question, I just want know you made your account to 2013 for a phone than dipped for 5 years, NANI? 

The MacBook Pro has great hardware depending on what software you are using. If you use FinalCut Pro its going to blow away all of those laptops and then some, but for After Effects that is a different story. 

Apple will be adding new graphics options to the MacBook Pro that feature Vega 16 and Vega 20 Graphics. I would wait a few more weeks while those models start hitting stores and reviews go out. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Been an XPS user for about a year and a half now and I can say that I probably won't buy another model of laptop. I love it

Glad to hear that it is working out for you! But I read so many people complaining about overheating issues, screen flickering etc. I know every piece of electronics is a hit or miss, but I would really like something reliable as I would not like to risk losing my work. But your comment made XPS stay in the game :)

13 minutes ago, DMN DangleBoy said:

Sorry I'm not answering to your question, I just want to you made your account to 2013 for a phone than dipped for 5 years, NANI? 

I am not a very forum type guy, but I watch every single LTT video, and this time I really need help and opinions from other people :)

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The MacBook Pro has great hardware depending on what software you are using. If you use FinalCut Pro its going to blow away all of those laptops and then some, but for After Effects that is a different story. 

Apple will be adding new graphics options to the MacBook Pro that feature Vega 16 and Vega 20 Graphics. I would wait a few more weeks while those models start hitting stores and reviews go out. 

That is the thing, I understand how good it is with FC, and I know I could do Windows dual boot, as I am very dependent of my AE Plugins, but I don't know if the hardware is really worth that money, as I can get something a lot more powerful for less money

8 minutes ago, altWOOT said:

as I am very dependent of my AE Plugins, but I don't know if the hardware is really worth that money, as I can get something a lot more powerful for less money

Well I do know that Adobe updated their apps to use more of the hardware that it has access to., not sure how much that has changed performance.

Unfortunately while Adobe is the industry standard, their software is very poorly made when it comes to hardware/software acceleration. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 hours ago, altWOOT said:

MacBook Pro (PROS: great screen, support and reliability

corrected for you

Asus Zenbook Pro UX550GECONS: build quality, cooling)

also corrected

Razer Blade 2018

CONS: heat issues

Not really actually

TBH the pros and cons you've listed above are lacking in every model but I'm lazy to correct everything for you

98% Adobe RGB

I don't think any laptop display has this kind of colour coverage. 80-90% is possible.

Location? Budget? Preferred max weight in kg/pounds and min battery life in hours? Any preference on display size? Any other requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Location? Budget? Preferred max weight in kg/pounds and min battery life in hours? Any preference on display size? Any other requirements? 

Thanks for the corrections, I just threw in what I found in my quick research.

Budget: preferably around $2000, could go up to 2500 if really worth

Weight: not over 2.2kg

Display size: 14-15,6

And as I said, screen quality is crucial, as I do a lot of color sensitive work, and I know Dell, Apple and Razer offer one of the best out of the box factory calibrated screens

18 hours ago, altWOOT said:

snip

Where are you from? No preference on battery life? Are you OK to do manual display calibration?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128