Seagate's roadmap teases 100TBs of spinning rust by 2025

Syntaxvgm

I guess my source wasnt wrong

ard drives are here to stay for the foreseeable future, if not for the Consumer space, the enterprise.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019--- Rainbow 馃 2020---Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---Blue Build Post---Blue Build Post 2018---Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k聽聽 聽MotherboardGigabyte Z97N-WIFI聽 聽聽RAMG.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz聽聽 聽GPUEVGA GTX1080Ti聽FTW3聽 聽聽CaseCorsair 380T聽 聽

StorageSamsung EVO 250GB,聽Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB,聽WD Black 5TB聽聽 聽PSUCorsair CX750M聽 聽聽CoolingCryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

He was taking about parity RAID rebuilds. That would take such an obscene amount of time with 100tb drives.

How many consumers are going to being running any kind of RAID with 100TB drives?聽?

By the time you get into arrays that huge, there are far better redundancy schemes that wouldn't take as long or it wouldn't matter if it did.

Btw, back when I still used HDDs, it took me only three hours to clone a "full" 4TB HDD (I had 15% free space on it, the recommended amount for best operation). That's 75 hours for 100TB, only a little over 3 days.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

11 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

How many consumers are going to being running any kind of RAID with 100TB drives?聽?

By the time you get into arrays that huge, there are far better redundancy schemes that wouldn't take as long or it wouldn't matter if it did.

Btw, back when I still used HDDs, it took me only three hours to clone a "full" 4TB HDD (I had 15% free space on it, the recommended amount for best operation). That's 75 hours for 100TB, only a little over 3 days.

Again, there's a very big difference between some form of mirror'd RAID and parity RAID. Parity RAID with a 100TB drive would take months and have quite a good chance of killing another drive in the process.聽

PSU Tier List聽| CoC

Gaming Build聽| FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k聽||聽Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz聽|| 250GB 840 Evo聽|| 1TB WD聽Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10聽Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD)聽|| SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Again, there's a very big difference between some form of mirror'd RAID and parity RAID. Parity RAID with a 100TB drive would take months and have quite a good chance of killing another drive in the process.聽

Cloning is not a mirrored RAID (aka RAID 1).聽

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Cloning is not a mirrored RAID (aka RAID 1).聽

Cloning is going to be in line with rebuilding a RAID 1 array -- which is significantly faster than rebuilding a parity array. It's not even in the same ballpark.

PSU Tier List聽| CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k聽||聽Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz聽|| 250GB 840 Evo聽|| 1TB WD聽Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10聽Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD)聽|| SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Cloning is going to be in line with rebuilding a RAID 1 array -- which is significantly faster than rebuilding a parity array. It's not even in the same ballpark.

I just looked it up and I stand sit corrected. A聽4TB drive in RAID 5 or 6 will take ten hours to rebuild one drive. That amounts to ten and a half days for 100TB.

I agree that that the time to rebuild even RAID 6 leaves data too vulnerable (yet another reason why RAIDs should be backed up). it's also why commercial server farms don't use RAID anymore.

Again, however, not very many consumers will ever need more than 100TB of storage and would be better off to just use simple, separate backups unless continuous operation is absolutely essential (not just desirable).

Jeannie

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I just looked it up and I stand sit corrected. A聽4TB drive in RAID 5 or 6 will take ten hours to rebuild one drive. That amounts to ten and a half days for 100TB.

I agree that that the time to rebuild even RAID 6 leaves data too vulnerable (yet another reason why RAIDs should be backed up). it's also why commercial server farms don't use RAID anymore.

Again, however, not very many consumers will ever need more than 100TB of storage and would be better off to just use simple, separate backups unless continuous operation is absolutely essential (not just desirable).

It's 10 hours assuming you can sustain the full write speed of the drive, which you can't. You still need to do parity calculations, which are intensive and the drives are generally in use on top of it all.

PSU Tier List聽| CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

hard drives are outpacing consumer storage needs so fast lol

I mean even 16TB drives that we have already.. don't see them too often outside of data centers.

So this will be great for enterprise.. but I don't see consumers caring much tbh. I'm more interested in having 1TB ssd's for $80-120. At that point... who the heck聽needs a hard drive? like why even? I'll just cram 4 2TB ssd's in my NAS and call it a day...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6聽GHz聽- Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I've had 2TB HDD when they first came out. Had it for like 7 years iirc. Now I'm on 2TB SSD and I don't really see the need to have a bigger one.

If only QLC SSDs can arrive sooner.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE庐 LPXDDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Case: Antec P8 聽 聽 PSU:聽Corsair RM850x 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168聽GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

hopefully by then it will have multiple heads, because reading that much data with a single head is going to take ages聽

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

If only QLC SSDs can arrive sooner.

Even though Samsung has been making reliable SSDs since the 840 EVO fiasco, I'm a bit leary of the new QLCs supposedly coming out next year (Samsung is notorius for being late with new product releases). I would prefer to wait around for a year or two to see how they pan out. Look at聽how long the 750 line lasted before Samsung dropped it.

Jeannie

14 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Even though Samsung has been making reliable SSDs since the 840 EVO fiasco, I'm a bit leary of the new QLCs supposedly coming out next year (Samsung is notorius for being late with new product releases). I would prefer to wait around for a year or two to see how they pan out. Look at聽how long the 750 line lasted before Samsung dropped it.

Well the micron 5120 QLC came out recently but I don't know what the price is.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE庐 LPXDDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Case: Antec P8 聽 聽 PSU:聽Corsair RM850x 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168聽GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

58 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Well the micron 5120 QLC came out recently but I don't know what the price is.

I haven't seen them聽for sale anywhere yet but I question what their quality will be even more than the Sammy QLCs聽since Micron is using Marvell controllers (Marvell has never impressed me with anything they have).聽

Jeannie