What is better DSLR or Mirrorless Camera for videography??

DSLR vs Mirrorless Camera for Videography @$850 4k@60fps ??  

6 members have voted

1. 1. DSLR vs Mirrorless Camera for Videography @$850 4k@60fps ?? Scenario : Shooting in a stable environment mostly in a studio, with Tripod.

The widely discussed hot topic DSLR vs Mirrorless Camera?? But with a new turn - in consideration with videography - which is better and that too 4k at 60fps video. And to make the matters worse let us compare finely in the budget to middle tier upto $850. So, guys lets find out via discussion which one holds the crown. ? Ultimately I gave to buy it so simply lets find out who delivers the best performance at the best price point.

Why you ever think of DSLR nowadays?

Even canon and nikon already preparing to abandoned DSLR.

Mirrorless camera is more versatile, and some of them support 4k out of the box.

If you have money, go with sony aps-c or fullframe line.

But for budget, go with panasonic, as the sensor is smaller, you can fit any lens (with adaptor).

For $850 you can go either Sony A6300 (no 4k and IOS but bigger sensor) or Panasonic G85 (4k, dual OS, but smaller sensor)

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Whatever one works for you that gets you the results you want.

Really equipment is like 10% of the equation. How you use it and what you do with it is the other 90%

We all know that, but he's asking in a hardware forum, should be answered with hardware point of view.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Whatever one works for you that gets you the results you want.

Really equipment is like 10% of the equation. How you use it and what you do with it is the other 90%

Ya Ya I know, you need to have skills too ? but while buying you need to consider at least something na ? you can't just grab a $50 phone and expect Pixel 3 quality pics from it, so thats why i thought to make a discussion ut of it

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

We all know that, but he's asking in a hardware forum, should be answered with hardware point of view.

Said correctly?

14 minutes ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

The widely discussed hot topic DSLR vs Mirrorless Camera?? But with a new turn - in consideration with videography - which is better and that too 4k video. And to make the matters worse let us compare finely in the budget to middle tier upto $850. So, guys lets find out via discussion which one holds the crown. ? Ultimately I gave to buy it so simply lets find out who delivers the best performance at the best price point.

Check out the Panasonic Lumix G7. It's a Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless camera, capable of 4K @ 30FPS or 1080P @ 60FPS. It's fairly compact, lightweight, and has pretty solid build quality. On top of that, you can record for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds at 4K, or for as long as your SD Card and battery allow at 1080p.
There's a great selection of lenses and addons for it as well.

https://amzn.to/2SRvZmP

There are a few downsides to it though:
1. The MFT sensor can struggle in low-light situations, especially at high ISO settings.

2. No in-body image stabilization (IBIS), so you'd want to get lenses with optical image stabilization (OIS).
3. I've heard from some people that the on-board audio recording isn't great, even with an external mic. Easily can be resolved with an external recorder, which I'd suggest anyways.

I'm not aware of any DSLRs that can match it for its price range, especially in the portability or recording length departments, so I'd say that Mirrorless cameras take the cake.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Why you ever think of DSLR nowadays?

Even canon and nikon already preparing to abandoned DSLR.

Mirrorless camera is more versatile, and some of them support 4k out of the box.

If you have money, go with sony aps-c or fullframe line.

But for budget, go with panasonic, as the sensor is smaller, you can fit any lens (with adaptor).

For $850 you can go either Sony A6300 (no 4k and IOS but bigger sensor) or Panasonic G85 (4k, dual OS, but smaller sensor)

Okay, so mirrorless technology is really growing now, I didn't knew of this fact, cos I live in India and you know technology reaches here very late and there are so less tech enthusiasts here specially in the field of photography. Well thanks, will consider your options.

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Check out the Panasonic Lumix G7. It's a Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless camera, capable of 4K @ 30FPS or 1080P @ 60FPS. It's fairly compact, lightweight, and has pretty solid build quality. On top of that, you can record for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds at 4K, or for as long as your SD Card and battery allow at 1080p.
There's a great selection of lenses and addons for it as well.

https://amzn.to/2SRvZmP

There are a few downsides to it though:
1. The MFT sensor can struggle in low-light situations, especially at high ISO settings.

2. No in-body image stabilization (IBIS), so you'd want to get lenses with optical image stabilization (OIS).
3. I've heard from some people that the on-board audio recording isn't great, even with an external mic. Easily can be resolved with an external recorder, which I'd suggest anyways.

I'm not aware of many DSLRs that can match it for its price range, especially in the portability department, so I'd say that Mirrorless cameras take the cake.

Okay, and is there any room for 4k at 60fps 

Just now, Mukul Gahlot said:

Ya Ya I know, you need to have skills too ? but while buying you need to consider at least something na ? you can't just grab a $50 phone and expect Pixel 3 quality pics from it, so thats why i thought to make a discussion ut of it

Reportedly even professional photographers have a hard time telling the difference between a picture shot between an iPhone and a DSLR.

But it's not even about skill. It's still about what fits best for you. This is the sort of thing I'd argue technical specs are still part of the equation. Go out and find a place with those cameras on display and play with them.

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Not quite any lens. You can't use Sony E mount lenses as the flange distance is shorter than it is on Micro Four Thirds. There's a handful of other less common lens mounts that can't be adapted to MFT as well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Reportedly even professional photographers have a hard time telling the difference between a picture shot between an iPhone and a DSLR.

But it's not even about skill. It's still about what fits best for you. This is the sort of thing I'd argue technical specs are still part of the equation. Go out and find a place with those cameras on display and play with them.

? me no billionaire gal, in India a DSLR costs pretty much, have no money to buy more than one?

1 minute ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

The next step up (Lumix G85) only peaks at 4K 30FPS, so not likely from Panasonic. The Sony A6000 which is around the middle of the two in terms of price doesn't even allow for 4K recording, just 1080P 60FPS. The A6300, which is closer to $1,000, can do 4K 30FPS and 1080p 120FPS.

I think it'll be a few years before we get 4K 60FPS in the <$850 price range.

1 minute ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

? me no billionaire gal, in India a DSLR costs pretty much, have no money to buy more than one?

I'm not saying you should buy a dozen and test them out. I'm saying find a store that'll let you play with stuff on display or if they have something you can play with.

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

The next step up (Lumix G85) only peaks at 4K 30FPS, so not likely from Panasonic. The Sony A6000 which is around the middle of the two in terms of price doesn't even allow for 4K recording, just 1080P 60FPS. The A6300, which is closer to $1,000, can do 4K 30FPS and 1080p 120FPS.

So in the current case scenario, should I go for a DSLR only to achieve 4k@60fps.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm not saying you should buy a dozen and test them out. I'm saying find a store that'll let you play with stuff on display or if they have something you can play with.

Ok, now thats a thoughtful suggestion. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

4k 60fps reserved to the more expensive GH5.

G7 is good enough (very cheap) for 4k 30fps, but you'll loose optical stabilization and external mic port, which is very handy since the mic is bad. But that can be remedied with external audio recorder.

I myself have the G85, no complaints other than bad night shot (small sensor). Loving the dual stabilization and the small size.

4 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Not quite any lens. You can't use Sony E mount lenses as the flange distance is shorter than it is on Micro Four Thirds. There's a handful of other less common lens mounts that can't be adapted to MFT as well.

You're right, but using a sony lenses is not considered "budget" anyway. But there's a plethora of old manual lens that you can use with mft.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

4k 60fps reserved to the more expensive GH5.

G7 is good enough (very cheap) for 4k 30fps, but you'll loose optical stabilization and external mic port, which is very handy since the mic is bad. But that can be remedied with external audio recorder.

I myself have the G85, no complaints other than bad night shot (small sensor). Loving the dual stabilization and the small size.

You're right, but using a sony lenses is not considered "budget" anyway. But there's a plethora of old manual lens that you can use with mft.

G7 is good but then does it worth it if you lose OIS and the mic port. And let me explain the scenario also in which i'll be shooting : steady studio environment mostly.

6 minutes ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

So in the current case scenario, should I go for a DSLR only to achieve 4k@60fps.

There's no DSLR that support 4k for that price range.

The closest one that support 4k@60fps would be mirrorless Panasonic GH5 at around $1500

3 minutes ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

G7 is good but then does it worth it if you lose OIS and the mic port. And let me explain the scenario also in which i'll be shooting : steady studio environment mostly.

If you're in a studio, with a good lighting, on a tripod, with an external recorder, then it would serve you good.

A good external audio recorder like a Zoom H1 is just another $100.

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you're in a studio, with a good lighting, on a tripod, with an external recorder, then it would serve you good.

A good external audio recorder like a Zoom H1 is just another $100.

Cool, will definitely check that out. And can you explain your concerns for not going with a DSLR in this scenario. And please opt out for the poll also for a better overview.

18 minutes ago, Mukul Gahlot said:

You don't lose the mic port. I haven't had an issue with on-board audio recording with it myself, but I've heard reports from others having issues with poor quality/peaking.

It likely just depends on which port you use.

Either way, if you're shooting in a studio environment, using an external recorder shouldn't be any issue at all. They're not terribly expensive.

The G7 doesn't have IBIS (In-body-image-stabilization) and relies on the lens to have OIS (optical-image-stabilization). Panasonic has a large arrangement of lenses with OIS. If you want to use a non-OIS lens, go for it. My primary lens that I use (Lumix G 25mm f1.7) doesn't have OIS, and I haven't had any issues with it. If you're using it on a tripod or some other sort of stable camera rig, you likely won't even need OIS or IBIS.

33 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

So, should i go for a DSLR for now?? 

And can you explain your concerns for not going with a DSLR in this scenario and opting a mirrorless as primary choice. And please opt out for the poll also for a better overview.

Just now, Mukul Gahlot said:

So, should i go for a DSLR for now?? 

And can you explain your concerns for not going with a DSLR in this scenario and opting a mirrorless as primary choice. And please opt out for the poll also for a better overview.

No. You won't find a DSLR that will match a mirrorless camera for videography at the price point you're looking at.

Few cameras offer great quality 4K video below $1,000, none of which are DSLRs. You also won't find recording times much past 10 minutes or so on DSLRs even close to $1,000.

I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix G7 and Panasonic Lumix G85, both are excellent cameras for the money, and both offer extended recording times. (30 minutes @ 4K, "unlimited" @ 1080p)