Study suggests Dating Apps can stop "Sexual Racism" because people shouldn't be allowed to date who they like?

AlTech

Many people throughout the world date people of their own race such as a white person dating another white person or a black person dating another black person.

This is totally normal and happens quite often.

But a Study suggests that Dating Apps can put an end to this "Sexual Racism" and want to encourage users to date outside of their race. Because apparently they think you shouldn't be allowed to date someone of the same race or smh.

Dating applications can allow users to fall into their own racial biases while searching for a partner, a new study says.

But in their study, researchers from schools like Cornell University say the “sexual racism” that plagues apps like Grindr, Tinder and Bumble can be stamped out with a few simple changes. The end goal, the study says, is to promote more diverse pairings on the dating sites.

Jevan Hutson, lead author of the study, said in a press release from Cornell University that “it’s really an unprecedented time for dating and meeting online” — which requires a more thorough look at how we can prevent discrimination on these dating apps.

“More people are using these apps, and they’re critical infrastructures that don’t get a lot of attention when it comes to bias and discrimination,” he said in the press release. “Intimacy is very private, and rightly so, but our private lives have impacts on larger socioeconomic patterns that are systemic.”

Phumlani Kango, from Johannesburg, South Africa, said in an interview with NBC that the racism is prevalent in his country, too.

“What happens in Los Angeles … where you have ‘no fats, no femmes,’ it happens [in South Africa] as well,” he told NBC. “... They will say ‘no rice, no chocolate, no curry’ — which means no Asian, no black and no Indian.”

As noted by the study — which compiled data from prior research — white people are ten times more likely to receive a message from a black person on a dating app than they are to message the black user themselves. That suggests a hierarchy of attention on racial lines.

The study found other examples of inequalty in dating apps, including:

• Asian men and black women have the lowest chance of receiving a message or a response.
  • White people of “all ages” prefer to go on dates with other white people.
  • College students are most likely to avoid going on dates with black women.

Stephanie Yeboah, a blogger, said that she has experienced racism as a black woman on online dating apps even when people are open to meeting up, according to The Independent. She said that some people ask offensive questions like if they can “get a taste of jungle fever” — and say they want to see if black women are “as aggressive in bed as they’ve heard.”

“Comments such as these are extremely dehumanizing to myself and other black women who are only looking for companionship,” she told The Independent. “It seems to suggest that black women are only good for one thing, and cites back to previous ideologies of black people being compared to primates; as primal and feral, hyper-sexualized creatures. It’s very hurtful.”

I really don't even know anymore. "Sexual Racism" is so much BS. This anti-white people discrimination through the proposed changes to dating apps is disgusting.

Sources:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article219361075.html

https://www.karen-levy.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Debiasing_Desire_published.pdf

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I agree, a good app should try to pair you with those you are most likely to want to go out with. Not attempt to try and get you to date people you have less preference too due to some ideological reason. This doesn't only include race of course but other factors as well.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

sexual preferences are something that just what they are and you can't help that.

^^^^

At this point it's some people trying to force diversity into dating just like they're tried to force diversity into other things -_-.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Changes to apps? LOL, it happens IRL with instant friend-zoning.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Just now, dtaflorida said:

Changes to apps? What changes? I'm at work and can't view the video. 

Basically, the study suggests that Dating Apps should match people of different races and not allow users to be able to set filters. So in effect, the proposed changes would cause users to be matched with who the dating app thinks you should be matched with and not the people who you might be attracted to.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Basically, the study suggests that Dating Apps should match people of different races and not allow users to be able to set filters. So in effect, the proposed changes would cause users to be matched with who the dating app thinks you should be matched with and not the people who you might be attracted to.

What apps are in question here? Tinder?

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just now, Shally said:

What apps are in question here? Tinder?

The study recommends that apps like Tinder, Grindr, and basically dating apps in general should do this.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I see now, went to the article links. Not a bad idea. I wonder what the statistics are on how many ppl are actually open to this and how many just manually filter by looking at the profile.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

^^^^

At this point it's some people trying to force diversity into dating just like they're tried to force diversity into other things -_-.

It's ok to try to make people consider someone they may not have looked for, and they might find them attractive. But judging people on who they choose is wrong. You can't be like "I don't prefer black people", especially just randomly out of the blue, but you'll make your choices silently and you should not be judged. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, dtaflorida said:

I see now, went to the article links. Not a bad idea.

Matching someone to another person they are probably not interested and actively ignoring what someone is interested in is a good idea?

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But a Study suggests that Dating Apps can put an end to this "Sexual Racism" and want to encourage users to date outside of their race. Because apparently they think you shouldn't be allowed to date someone of the same race or smh.

The whole "sexual racism" - thing is an obvious load of bollocks, but how about thinking about this from a different angle? Not all, but many/most people are predisposed to only look for people resembling themselves and they wouldn't ever look at someone of a different skin-colour because of this -- it's a very human thing to try and seek for things you are familiar with -- but if they first got to know someone and found themselves interested, could that help broaden their sights once the other person was revealed to be of a different colour? Food for thought.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i think dating apps should show the correct date or age regardless of race, ethics and gender

Just now, WereCatf said:

The whole "sexual racism" - thing is an obvious load of bollocks, but how about thinking about this from a different angle? Not all, but many/most people are predisposed to only look for people resembling themselves and they wouldn't ever look at someone of a different skin-colour because of this -- it's a very human thing to try and seek for things you are familiar with -- but if they first got to know someone and found themselves interested, could that help broaden their sights once the other person was revealed to be of a different colour? Food for thought.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be also shown some people outside of their race but the majority of people matched to them should be people who fit what they want. It's fine if a few people outside of whatever filters they specified are shown but blatantly ignoring what the user wants is wrong.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Matching someone to another person they are probably not interested and actively ignoring what someone is interested in is a good idea?

I mean just the removal of the race filter. I'd say it's worth a try, at worst ppl just ignore those matches and look to the next one. It's bound to catch a few more cross racial matches.

Hmm but after some thought, I guess if the volume was real big it would be something that could drive a user away to use a service that does allow filtering by race. At first I was just thinking maybe if just a few of matches were not in my interest it wouldn't be too bad, but if it gets overwhelming then I guess that would just drive users away. 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be also shown some people outside of their race but the majority of people matched to them should be people who fit what they want. It's fine if a few people outside of whatever filters they specified are shown but blatantly ignoring what the user wants is wrong.

I wasn't advocating for ignoring what users want in the first place, so I agree. I would hope you don't read into my post more than I said in it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

This is so stupid

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_2.28.46_PM.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

inb4lock.

Racism is stupid.

All the people who are kept up at night about the "white race" going extinct to scary poor brown people should focus on more serious issues like healthcare, education, protectionism for our jobs, rebuilding our infrastructure with jobs programs, stop drug war, stop endless war in Afghanistan, stop giving Saudis & isrealis weapons and so much more.

Oh look america and "study" in same sentence. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I mean just the removal of the race filter. I'd say it's worth a try, at worst ppl just ignore those matches and look to the next one. It's bound to catch a few more cross racial matches.

Perhaps word the option as "I lean more towards [insert skin colour here]", instead of a hard "I only want results of [skin colour]" -- this way the site would have an excuse to drop in the very occasional result who doesn't match the mentioned colour.

Just now, Okjoek said:

inb4lock.

Racism is stupid.

All the people who are kept up at night about the "white race" going extinct to scary poor brown people should focus on more serious issues like healthcare, education, protectionism for our jobs, rebuilding our infrastructure with jobs programs, stop endless war in Afghanistan, stop giving Saudis & isrealis weapons and so much more.

This.

Rest assured though, the "anti-sjw" movement is dying and losing momentum. 

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Racism is stupid.

Absolutely, but the argument in this "study" -- read "quackery" -- is that being attracted to only certain skin-colours is racism, which....is stupid as well. Not being attracted to everyone isn't racism, so this whole argument isn't really about racism, it's just about someone spouting bullshit and seeking attention.