The iPhone XR isn't actually selling as well as we thought...

Djole123
Just now, EarthWormJM2 said:

-snip-

The V40 is mad, although I'd say as of now, better display would mostly be down to OLED and the resolution. I still think the XR is better in terms of accuracy, but the difference might be a lot smaller when the QC for mobile OLEDs from LG improve further alongside further calibration and such. I know LG is capable of making a good OLED panel (seen it on a lot of their OLED TVs, of which I'm considering one although burn-in scares me still), they're just not exactly there as of now.

I do miss my LG G4 at times. It had a great phone camera for its time (would've held up fine today) and I missed the hand feel of the subtle curvature and the leather back that I had. It's a shame that the G4 ended up being a joke due to lackluster QC (Lucky Goldstar, anyone?).

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

The V40 is mad, although I'd say as of now, better display would mostly be down to OLED and the resolution. I still think the XR is better in terms of accuracy, but the difference might be a lot smaller when the QC for mobile OLEDs from LG improve further alongside further calibration and such. I know LG is capable of making a good OLED panel (seen it on a lot of their OLED TVs, of which I'm considering one although burn-in scares me still), they're just not exactly there as of now.

I do miss my LG G4 at times. It had a great phone camera for its time (would've held up fine today) and I missed the hand feel of the subtle curvature and the leather back that I had. It's a shame that the G4 ended up being a joke due to lackluster QC (Lucky Goldstar, anyone?).

Agreed. I didn't realize the V40 just had a price cut, but that does make me what to trade in my V20 for it...lol. I probably should have compared the LG G7 to the XR as that was priced at $750 originally and is very close to the V40 spec wise. I will give Apple credit, they do know how to calibrate a display very well, regardless of what technology is being used.

Yea, burn-in scares me as well with how expensive OLED TVs are, although I have an OG PS Vita (use for PSone games mostly, lol) with an OLED and so far I haven't seen any UI burn-in that I thought I would after hours of extended use.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

11 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Agreed. I didn't realize the V40 just had a price cut, but that does make me what to trade in my V20 for it...lol. 

It's characteristic of most LG phones at this point. They launch at the typical flagship price, but then drop steeply after a very short while, eventually turning into a sweet deal in just a few months. The G7 is already in the $500 range and will continue to drop further. The V40 is starting to fall in price as well. Give it a month or two and they end up becoming quite a bargain. 

12 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Yea, burn-in scares me as well with how expensive OLED TVs are, although I have an OG PS Vita (use for PSone games mostly, lol) with an OLED and so far I haven't seen any UI burn-in that I thought I would after hours of extended use.

Same here. I'm worried about OLED burn-in, but so far, the only device to have done that is my 7 year old Galaxy S2, and even that case isn't so significant. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The resolution and PPI  are both important, not just the "liquid retina" marketing Apple is selling you. It's a $750 phone which has worse PPI for the size of the display than the iphone 8 and 8 plus.

I never brought up the fact that Apple figured out how to make edge to edge and rounded corners with an LCD panel, ,which they coin it as Liquid Retina, as an advantage. My point was the fact that it exceeded far better than most other phones in terms of colour accuracy, contrast ratio, etc within the confines of the LCD tech, compared to the rest. Resolution doesn't matter if the pixel density is high enough for the intended use and scaling becomes a non issue.

Also, it has the same ppi as the iPhone 8. No one cared before because it was the same as iPhone 7 and 6. But since this was a completely redesigned phone, it was caught again and overblown out of proportion

5 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I never brought up the fact that Apple figured out how to make edge to edge and rounded corners with an LCD panel, ,which they coin it as Liquid Retina, as an advantage. My point was the fact that it exceeded far better than most other phones in terms of colour accuracy, contrast ratio, etc within the confines of the LCD tech, compared to the rest. Resolution doesn't matter if the pixel density is high enough for the intended use and scaling becomes a non issue.

Also, it has the same ppi as the iPhone 8. No one cared before because it was the same as iPhone 7 and 6. But since this was a completely redesigned phone, it was caught again and overblown out of proportion

That’s my issue with the XR. It’s very good but nothing new. If anything, these objective iPhone XR reviews make a case for the iPhone 7 and 8. They both have good screens and the performance is plenty. You also get 3D Touch, Touch ID and good ergonomics for 1 handed use. I think that it’s a shame that Apple did not realease a proper one handed phone like the 8 or SE. 

Btw the reason Apple ordered less units is because a factory in the supply chain was having QC issues. So slowing down production isn’t a sign that demand has fallen or that the XR isn’t selling well. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 hours ago, kokakolia said:

That’s my issue with the XR. It’s very good but nothing new. If anything, these objective iPhone XR reviews make a case for the iPhone 7 and 8. They both have good screens and the performance is plenty. You also get 3D Touch, Touch ID and good ergonomics for 1 handed use. I think that it’s a shame that Apple did not realease a proper one handed phone like the 8 or SE. 

What about all the other 2018 phones? Pixels, the S series, Notes, LG's and rest of the android phones.

All most manufacturers did is embrace the edge to edge and notch design, which Apple did last year.

The main issue is people compare iPhone (which is at max 3 products) to gazillions of android devices. There are very few well rounded devices like the Apple's and cherry picking all the good parts of all the android phones isn't the way to compare it to an iPhone

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

What about all the other 2018 phones? Pixels, the S series, Notes, LG's and rest of the android phones.

All most manufacturers did is embrace the edge to edge and notch design, which Apple did last year.

The main issue is people compare iPhone (which is at max 3 products) to gazillions of android devices. There are very few well rounded devices like the Apple's and cherry picking all the good parts of all the android phones isn't the way to compare it to an iPhone

I just imagine that most iPhone users want an iPhone. But yeah, you can buy whatever you like. 

I am just worried about Android manufacturers copying Apple’s pricing. The Pixel 3 costing $800 is absurd.