The iPhone XR isn't actually selling as well as we thought...

Djole123
On 11/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, NelizMastr said:

I like my XR, and couldn't be bothered if it sold well or not, lol.

Don't you know that your phone determines your status in this life!!!!!

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

36 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

Don't you know that your phone determines your status in this life!!!!!

And having the fastest SOC in a phone today is more than enough status for me :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

43 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

And having the fastest SOC in a phone today is more than enough status for me :P 

YEA but you're obviously a pleb for having your cell phone version apparently (not really confirmed) not selling as hawt as even our divine overlords at Apple expected!!! So obviously you are a second class citizen!!!!! Not to mention your screen is below 1080p!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!one1!!1oneone!111!!!!!1!!

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

9 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

YEA but you're obviously a pleb for having your cell phone version apparently (not really confirmed) not selling as hawt as even our divine overlords at Apple expected!!! So obviously you are a second class citizen!!!!! Not to mention your screen is below 1080p!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!one1!!1oneone!111!!!!!1!!

ERMAHGERD

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 11/6/2018 at 11:32 PM, Brooksie359 said:

It's a bad phone. For 750 they could have easily put in a 1080p display with similar quality metrics you are describing. It has flagship cost for a sub par phone. 

Again you're going wabbling about some paper spec when in reality it makes almost no difference to naked eye. And again you're praising phones which are pretty much worse across the board in all other aspects of the display, on areas that does make a difference. Bring a real scenario. Unless the phone is used for VR, the ppi is absolutely fine

On 11/6/2018 at 11:40 PM, mynameisjuan said:

Yes....its about the resolution. No one is saying anything about color accuracy, black levels, etc....

Your point? I find people are dumb and they overblow issues because there are some vocal people who'd love to hate Apple

On 11/7/2018 at 5:06 AM, Drak3 said:
  • The SoC throttles if anything more than a short burst of that perofmance is used. It won't factor in for most things.

Do you have any source for this? And do you know for sure the 845 doesn't do the same thing? Don't make dumb claims like this.

• iOS is only 'more optimized' in that it automatically kills apps to keep memory free. Not inherently better or worse. Cheaper Android phones are now as smooth as iOS, and the security isn't anywhere near as good as you think it is.

Lol, no you're trolling. Check out Phonebuff's speed test and if there's one thing iOS is really good at, it at memory management as most iOS apps resume from where it was paused. Definitely not the case with Android and the new pixel 3 xl has massive memory issues. Cheaper android's are not as smooth as iOS and security on iOS is way better than on Android. Those are three straight up wrong facts you just slapped here.

• Few premium phones actually have good build quality, the iPhones are not one of them.

Again, what? You don't decide what build quality is good and bad. The iPhone Xr is built extremely well. And so are some flagship android devices.

• Out of the box. Most phones can be tuned for better color if the user so desires (most don't care).

That's a pathetic excuse. It takes resources and time to do such things and you just dissed it something companies can do if they want to. It's like saying companies can make optimized software if they pour in more resources. No shit sherlock. Difference is Apple is doing that while others don't.

• Addons do not bilster the value, or lack of, that the initial product carries.
  • Better resale only comes from the notion that the phone is still worth buying despite being used. Support also is a non issue because the hardware itself typically doesn't last long either.

See, by now you've completely lost any credibility on your claims and opinions. iPhones do objectively last a lot longer than Android and average US person holds onto their iPhones for 3 years. Better resales come because iPhones from two years ago perform as well as today's android in the performance category

• At this point, software largely separates cameras, not hardware. One can always change apps with Android.

Sure, please develop or download an app that makes your android phone as competitive as iPhone Xr. If you develop, I'm sure you can make tonnes of money as it would astonish the entire industry. On the more serious note, Apple NPU and ISP has alot to do with it, which you cannot substitute with pure software, especially in real time

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Again you're going wabbling about some paper spec when in reality it makes almost no difference to naked eye. And again you're praising phones which are pretty much worse across the board in all other aspects of the display, on areas that does make a difference. Bring a real scenario. Unless the phone is used for VR, the ppi is absolutely fine

Your point? I find people are dumb and they overblow issues because there are some vocal people who'd love to hate Apple

Do you have any source for this? And do you know for sure the 845 doesn't do the same thing? Don't make dumb claims like this.

Lol, no you're trolling. Check out Phonebuff's speed test and if there's one thing iOS is really good at, it at memory management as most iOS apps resume from where it was paused. Definitely not the case with Android and the new pixel 3 xl has massive memory issues. Cheaper android's are not as smooth as iOS and security on iOS is way better than on Android. Those are three straight up wrong facts you just slapped here.

Again, what? You don't decide what build quality is good and bad. The iPhone Xr is built extremely well. And so are some flagship android devices.

That's a pathetic excuse. It takes resources and time to do such things and you just dissed it something companies can do if they want to. It's like saying companies can make optimized software if they pour in more resources. No shit sherlock. Difference is Apple is doing that while others don't.

See, by now you've completely lost any credibility on your claims and opinions. iPhones do objectively last a lot longer than Android and average US person holds onto their iPhones for 3 years. Better resales come because iPhones from two years ago perform as well as today's android in the performance category

Sure, please develop or download an app that makes your android phone as competitive as iPhone Xr. If you develop, I'm sure you can make tonnes of money as it would astonish the entire industry. On the more serious note, Apple NPU and ISP has alot to do with it, which you cannot substitute with pure software, especially in real time

If you think that for 750 dollars I couldn't find a phone with a much better screen then you are kidding yourself. Try and defend it all you want but at 750 dollars it's just laughable how much of a ripoff that phone is. 

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you think that for 750 dollars I couldn't find a phone with a much better screen then you are kidding yourself. Try and defend it all you want but at 750 dollars it's just laughable how much of a ripoff that phone is. 

Please exactly do that. Find me a phone with an objectively better LCD display than the Xr. I'll link you to the results of the same 326 ppi LCD display of the iPhone 7

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone7_ShootOut_1.htm

We'll set this is bar and let's just assume Apple has been sitting on their ass for two years not improving their LCD display tech.

Also, the quote displaymate

Since the iPhone 7 has a Retina Display it doesn't need the 4K resolution because it already appears perfectly sharp at its normal viewing distances.

5 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Please exactly do that. Find me a phone with an objectively better LCD display than the Xr. I'll link you to the results of the same 326 ppi LCD display of the iPhone 7

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone7_ShootOut_1.htm

We'll set this is bar and let's just assume Apple has been sitting on their ass for two years not improving their LCD display tech.

Also, the quote displaymate

I can find an oled display for 750. I can find 1440p displays for 750. You are insane if you think you can't find a better one for 750. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I can find an oled display for 750. I can find 1440p displays for 750. You are insane if you think you can't find a better one for 750. 

Omfg, how do you still not get that there's is so much more important metrics to a display than it's resolution?! Resolution, which translates into ppi when the size is brought into the equation, doesn't matter after a certain point for normal usage scenarios

There's no point in putting a 50 MP camera on a phone with shitty ISP and tiny lens.

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Omfg, how do you still not get that there's is so much more important metrics to a display than it's resolution?! Resolution, which translates into ppi when the size is brought into the equation, doesn't matter after a certain point for normal usage scenarios

There's no point in putting a 50 MP camera on a phone with shitty ISP and tiny lens.

You are very much wrong about that. You are obviously blind and can't see the difference but the majority of people can.

iPhones have always been luxury items, at least for sure after the 4 and at least from the business model PoV (afaik). The fact that at some point a lot of people had one doesn't mean it was supposed to be cheap and affordable like the old One Plus and Pocofones. It just meant everyone wanted one because trends and things (like whatever fancy brand kids wear in school nowadays). 

Markets where iPhone dominates are markets where the median salary goes towards 100K/year. Countries like Switzerland have had iOS as high as 70% market share. As for any luxury item, if you go down in price, you loose people, because people buying it were not concerned by the price in the first place. You just want one or you simply can afford it without thinking about it.

So going down in price, you start targeting different people, people like LTT's audience that will loose 1 hour comparing 2 phones over 50$ and a headphone jack (you get the idea). Or an audience that wants 300$ phones, not any cent above that. And I think it is clear this new audiences are not super fans of Apple in general, hence the poor XR sales.

Gaming: Windows 10 - Intel i7 9900K - Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - O11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, kriegalex said:

iPhones have always been luxury items, at least for sure after the 4 and at least from the business model PoV (afaik). The fact that at some point a lot of people had one doesn't mean it was supposed to be cheap and affordable like the old One Plus and Pocofones. It just meant everyone wanted one because trends and things (like whatever fancy brand kids wear in school nowadays). 

Markets where iPhone dominates are markets where the median salary goes towards 100K/year. Countries like Switzerland have had iOS as high as 70% market share. As for any luxury item, if you go down in price, you loose people, because people buying it were not concerned by the price in the first place. You just want one or you simply can afford it without thinking about it.

So going down in price, you start targeting different people, people like LTT's audience that will loose 1 hour comparing 2 phones over 50$ and a headphone jack (you get the idea). Or an audience that wants 300$ phones, not any cent above that. And I think it is clear this new audiences are not super fans of Apple in general, hence the poor XR sales.

If you don't care about price then you get the best because price isn't an issue. The XR is created to be a cheaper alternative but it is still very expensive and far from the best. I mean I can get a pixel 3 for 50 bucks more. 

25 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

The resolution and PPI  are both important, not just the "liquid retina" marketing Apple is selling you. It's a $750 phone which has worse PPI for the size of the display than the iphone 8 and 8 plus.

My point was you said it had nothing to do with resolution when it was all about resolution. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you don't care about price then you get the best because price isn't an issue. The XR is created to be a cheaper alternative but it is still very expensive and far from the best. I mean I can get a pixel 3 for 50 bucks more. 

8 minutes ago, kriegalex said:

[...] As for any luxury item, if you go down in price, you loose people, because people buying it were not concerned by the price in the first place. [...]

Thanks for rephrasing :) 

Gaming: Windows 10 - Intel i7 9900K - Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - O11 Dynamic

As well as who thought? Cause they announced this, I though iphone C, saw this a million miles away

There isn't that many phones with LCD displays in that price bracket. Some of the last ones include the LG G7 ThinQ but its default color setting is pretty inaccurate.

Most of the good ones are OLED, and they are pretty close in terms of accuracy and such. You can get them for $750 or less in some cases, although those tend to be flagships on a discount.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/6/2018 at 4:54 AM, King Poet said:

The original X was replaced with the XS.

The X was dropped from the lineup.

So we can make fun of nVidia Black Titan that's grey, TITAN X that's the actual black titan / TITAN X / TITAN Xp but when it's apple messing around with all the X's nobody says any thing :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

So we can make fun of nVidia Black Titan that's grey, TITAN X that's the actual black titan / TITAN X / TITAN Xp but when it's apple messing around with all the X's nobody says any thing :P

Don't get me wrong. The naming is XSively stupid.

14 minutes ago, King Poet said:

Don't get me wrong. The naming is XSively stupid.

I mean, it's XSeccively pricey.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly speaking, I think I'm more likely to buy an S9 over a Pixel 3. I just don't understand the Pixel in general.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, RedRound2 said:

I like how none of you people actually saw the entire video. Says alot about the coloured mind

Sure, so we trust you instead of the like around 7-10 people who all agreed that the Iphone has a better display. And the add to the fact that you do have a bias history. Sure, you're opinion is extremely valued

Not the point. Putting in a higher res display takes u more GPU power and more battery. One of the reasons iPhone Xr has a really good battery life is because of the display. I like how you carry so much importance to the fact that it is not 1080p. Either you're misinformed, or you're just trolling. And I like how you just judged a phone and called it trash because it had a 326 ppi instead of 500 ish ppi, which the difference hardly matters in real world.

Except people could tell the difference and say that the iPhone was vastly superior. It was never about ppi, it was always about the much more important metric of colour accuracy, screen legibility, etc

Just throwing this out there, mainly because no one ever brings up LG (I mean they make most of the OLED displays used in iPhones today), My 2 year old LG V20 is better and better value then the iPhone XR even when it was brand new at just under $700. It has a 1440p display, 4GB of RAM, can record 4k video, removable battery, plus has an SD slot AND a headphone jack (which is connected to an actual DAC internally for great sound and great sound recording (literally no distortion even at a rock concert right next to the speakers)). The only concession is that the XR's processor is better, but that's to be expected when comparing to a 2 year old phone. 

Everyone is holding so much stock in screen resolution because like 90% of the time, your phone is within a foot of your face. You will absolutely see the difference, especially in high quality videos like on youtube or netflix. 

And if you what a perfect comparison argument: https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v40-thinq it costs $750 and it is better then the XR in every conceivable way for the same price, unless of course you prefer iOS, but at that point you aren't comparing devices and just buying whatever iPhone because you want iOS. You get way more for your money and a flagship phone for the same price, and that's a problem for consumers.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I mean, it's XSeccively pricey.

Honestly speaking, I think I'm more likely to buy an S9 over a Pixel 3. I just don't understand the Pixel in general.

Didn't even realize the s9 was 800 as well. Yeah I would probably get what over the XR for sure. I mean I could get the s8 for 600 which would be a much better deal than the XR. 

15 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

~snip~

There's only one problem in that otherwise pretty nice phone.

The OLED panel. It's a marked improvement over the V30's panel in its early days (and still better than it overall even in its later years) but mobile OLED manufacturing is not yet LG's forte. They're still somewhat prone to some QA issues, such as the very obvious green tint and leak in the Mate20 Pro that has LG panels (BOE panels are mostly okay). They're getting there, just not yet for a phone that was $960, but is dropping in price quickly (characteristic of LG phones).

On that note though, I still think 1080p or somewhere around there is ideal for a phone like the XR. I still don't think QHD is all that necessary, and while my time with the XR has mostly been fine (coming from a guy who has used excellent super high-res OLEDs for the past 2-3 years), at that price point, 1080p should've been there. Would it be super noticeable? Maybe not, but at that price, I think it should've been there.

What I'm curious is who supplies the XR's display. I know LG supplied LCDs for iPhones in the past.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

That would be an interesting comparison! I read in several places that the software on the Pixel 3 is quite lacklustre with several annoying bugs. Perhaps Google fixed them. Further, the Pixel doesn’t have adequate cooling and enough ram (they say). 

But to me, it’s kinda absurd to say that you should go for the Pixel, it’s 50 bucks more! Just step back a second. Don’t the XR and Pixel seem overpriced? 

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

There's only one problem in that otherwise pretty nice phone.

The OLED panel. It's a marked improvement over the V30's panel in its early days (and still better than it overall even in its later years) but mobile OLED manufacturing is not yet LG's forte. They're still somewhat prone to some QA issues, such as the very obvious green tint and leak in the Mate20 Pro that has LG panels (BOE panels are mostly okay). They're getting there, just not yet for a phone that was $960, but is dropping in price quickly (characteristic of LG phones).

On that note though, I still think 1080p or somewhere around there is ideal for a phone like the XR. I still don't think QHD is all that necessary, and while my time with the XR has mostly been fine (coming from a guy who has used excellent super high-res OLEDs for the past 2-3 years), at that price point, 1080p should've been there. Would it be super noticeable? Maybe not, but at that price, I think it should've been there.

What I'm curious is who supplies the XR's display. I know LG supplied LCDs for iPhones in the past.

I mean there are always drawbacks to every phone. Someone will have a better screen, or a better processor, or a better camera. But I was showing the new V40 as a comparison as he kept asking for one. It costs the same as the XR and you get wayyyy more in the device, better screen, memory, expansion, etc. If the XR was like a $500 value option then there would be no argument from me. But $750 as their 'value' option when that's around most competitors flagship price, that is a bit scummy to me.

I said it on another post about Apple increasing their prices for less hardware, They are the wealthiest company on earth, time to scale back pricing a little bit, and be a little more transparent. Make a splash with a top of the line phone at less then competitors or something, and offset the losses by opening their supply chain and start selling spare parts to the public. They would make a killing. But, what do I know, lol.

I also like talking about LG phones as I am in the minority on here who loves LG quietly releasing new tech and innovations under the radar, like the Quad-DAC in there phones (I am a bit of an audiophile), and they have lasted me years. Their mobile OLEDs will get there, I mean in the TV market they are amazing, and obviously Apple likes them enough if they ordered 2-4 million displays from LG.

From what I could find on the interwebs, it looks like the LCDs for the XR are either from LG or Japan Display.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x