The iPhone XR isn't actually selling as well as we thought...

Djole123
4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They're too expensive as well if you ask me. Either way the galaxy s9 is currently sitting at 690$ on amazon, 60$ cheaper than the Xr - still too much by my standards, but definitely not 1000$.

It was sitting at $649 for me.

I am hoping that midrange phones begin to perform as well as flagships soon, so people don’t have to pony up 10 Benjamins for a slightly more fancy slab of glass and metal.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Well, LCD Display with the resolution of an iphone 4 (worse, due to bigger screen size even!).

Also,... you can get a better phone for 300 bucks unless you really insist on iOS. So i can clrealy see why this is happening.

I mean, without any hate at all: Did we really expect the Apple fanboys to stay loyal forever? Even the most avid fanboy will see the downsites after seeing them presented year after year after year. So it is kinda expected to see sales go down for Apple and i also expect them to drop even further.

They can only increase the prices to keep that raising revenue, but that has a limit (how high that limit will be,... we will see in 2 or 3 years id guess)

9 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Well, LCD Display with the resolution of an iphone 4 (worse, due to bigger screen size even!).

Also,... you can get a better phone for 300 bucks unless you really insist on iOS. So i can clrealy see why this is happening.

I mean, without any hate at all: Did we really expect the Apple fanboys to stay loyal forever? Even the most avid fanboy will see the downsites after seeing them presented year after year after year. So it is kinda expected to see sales go down for Apple and i also expect them to drop even further.

They can only increase the prices to keep that raising revenue, but that has a limit (how high that limit will be,... we will see in 2 or 3 years id guess)

You cannot get a better phone for $300.  It certainly won't be as fast, take as good photos, last as long on battery... you get the idea.  Do you have an example of a device you think would actually sit at that price and do more than offer a 1080p screen?

Also, this is just an unofficial production rumor from a business outlet known to have pushed false Apple supply chain reports in the past (such as the claim that iPhone X production had been dramatically reduced).  So you can believe a rumor that could easily be wrong, or wait for real data.

1 hour ago, DrDerp said:

My take is this: personally, I use pretty low resolution and PPI displays compared to everyone else, and I personally can tell the difference between my iPhone 8 Display and a Galaxy S9. Now, if the phone was 600 USD or cheaper, I could excuse the low res screen. But that is the main issue of this phone, its price. Truth be told I really like the phone. But in a world of Pocophones, One Plus and 650 USD Galaxy S9s, there is no way for this to compete in the market. If someone wants a "budget" iPhone, the iPhone 8 or 7 offers basically the same experience but without the notch or a learning curve for those upgrading.

Yeah I don't think lower than 1080p resolution is nessisarly a problem on a phone. I think it's a problem when you charge 750 for such a phone. Is simply doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't get at a minimum 1080p res for 750 dollars. 

I like how none of you people actually saw the entire video. Says alot about the coloured mind

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was able to see the difference between the 2 phone screens in the video and I can say for certain I preferred the display on the left which was the $300 pocophone ?.

Sure, so we trust you instead of the like around 7-10 people who all agreed that the Iphone has a better display. And the add to the fact that you do have a bias history. Sure, you're opinion is extremely valued

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah your kidding yourself. The phone is trash at 750 price tag. If they can't put at least a 1080p screen on a 750 dollar phone then they are clearly just milking people like you who will buy it anyways. 750 dollars is basically what their flagship phones cost just a couple if years ago and many flagship phones cost around the same or less. For 750 dollars not having a 1080p screen or higher res is just a slap in the face. 

Not the point. Putting in a higher res display takes u more GPU power and more battery. One of the reasons iPhone Xr has a really good battery life is because of the display. I like how you carry so much importance to the fact that it is not 1080p. Either you're misinformed, or you're just trolling. And I like how you just judged a phone and called it trash because it had a 326 ppi instead of 500 ish ppi, which the difference hardly matters in real world.

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I like Jon's videos but that one was stupid. 

"Hey lets take a 1080p and 720p screen and put them next to each other and have people try to tell the different from 3 fucking feet away" I mean people wouldnt be able to tell the difference at that difference from a 640p panel to a 2k panel. 

Hold the phone at normal reading distance and you can tell the difference quite quickly. 

Except people could tell the difference and say that the iPhone was vastly superior. It was never about ppi, it was always about the much more important metric of colour accuracy, screen legibility, etc

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I like how none of you people actually saw the entire video. Says alot about the coloured mind

Sure, so we trust you instead of the like around 7-10 people who all agreed that the Iphone has a better display. And the add to the fact that you do have a bias history. Sure, you're opinion is extremely valued

Not the point. Putting in a higher res display takes u more GPU power and more battery. One of the reasons iPhone Xr has a really good battery life is because of the display. I like how you carry so much importance to the fact that it is not 1080p. Either you're misinformed, or you're just trolling. And I like how you just judged a phone and called it trash because it had a 326 ppi instead of 500 ish ppi, which the difference hardly matters in real world.

Except people could tell the difference and say that the iPhone was vastly superior. It was never about ppi, it was always about the much more important metric of colour accuracy, screen legibility, etc

It's a bad phone. For 750 they could have easily put in a 1080p display with similar quality metrics you are describing. It has flagship cost for a sub par phone. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's a bad phone. For 750 they could have easily put in a 1080p display with similar quality metrics you are describing. It has flagship cost for a sub par phone. 

I wouldn't say its a bad phone. Its actually a great one; just not for the price of admission.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

8 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

It was never about ppi,

image.png.4334261dc6557cb5d3df5d781c616952.png

Yes....its about the resolution. No one is saying anything about color accuracy, black levels, etc....

14 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Putting in a higher res display takes u more GPU power and more battery.

I'm completely fine with it being sub 1080p, it really isn't an issue for the vast majority of people. That said, it's not necessarily strictly a performance/battery preserving measure. Historically, Apple has rendered the screen above the native resolution anyway and then downscaled to accommodate their point mapping.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

24 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

I wouldn't say its a bad phone. Its actually a great one; just not for the price of admission.

It's pricing makes it a bad phone. Price is part of the package. 

6 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

There is no comparison, one is good for painting it blue and dropping into the ocean while pocophone is a great phone with an excellent OS.

You’re being ridiculous! The XR is the better phone in every way except for the price: 

- Better performance (A12)

- Better OS (subjective, but iOS is very optimized, smooth and secure)

- Better build quality

- Better screen (in terms of colour) 

- More accessories because Apple

- Better resale value and support 

- Better color options

- Better camera

- Better speakers 

I would absolutely love to own an iPhone XR. But I don’t want to pay for it. The price is stupid. And my iPhone 7 still kicks butt. 

It's definitely the price that's killing it. Flagship price for the 'low' tier phone. They didn't need to even release something like that... people would have been fine using a previous gen as the lowest tier, ie the 8/Plus .

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

5 hours ago, DrDerp said:

I am hoping that midrange phones begin to perform as well as flagships soon

To be honest I think we've been there for a couple of years now. There are sub 300$ phones that perform just fine and don't have to compromise much on screen and camera quality either. In fact, in terms of pure resolution midrange phones have overtaken iphones a long time ago, and it's easy to find pretty good amoled panels on them too. They may not be quite as well calibrated, but it doesn't matter in regular use and the pure blacks really stick out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's pricing makes it a bad phone. Price is part of the package. 

Pricing can change however; I am most likely foolishly hoping Apple will make the phone cheaper, and set it down 100 USD. I wouldn't call that a "steal" per se, but that is a phone that is powerful, with great battery life, and if you ask me looks pretty darn stylish phone for still flagship prices, but with an easier to swallow price.

@Sauron sorry couldn't figure out how to quote you here in an edit real quick, but yeah I looked back on that post almost immediately and wanted to rephrase it but class was starting. I mean something that is midrange (300 to 450 IMO) that has full mainstream appeal.

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

You’re being ridiculous! The XR is the better phone in every way except for the price: 

- Better build quality

- Better color options

- Better camera

- Better speakers 

I would absolutely love to own an iPhone XR. But I don’t want to pay for it. The price is stupid. And my iPhone 7 still kicks butt. 

Compare it to Xiaomi Mi8 and all of a sudden you can wipe half of the pros from the list. And it still costs half as much as iPhone XR. Pocophone is really a bad comparison even though it's a decent phone spec wise. But they really cut a lot of corners and in the end it costs about the same as M8 which is a proper flagship in specs and build quality.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Better performance (A12)

- Better build quality

- Better color options

- Better camera

- Better speakers 

• The SoC throttles if anything more than a short burst of that perofmance is used. It won't factor in for most things.
  • iOS is only 'more optimized' in that it automatically kills apps to keep memory free. Not inherently better or worse. Cheaper Android phones are now as smooth as iOS, and the security isn't anywhere near as good as you think it is.
  • Few premium phones actually have good build quality, the iPhones are not one of them.
  • Out of the box. Most phones can be tuned for better color if the user so desires (most don't care).
  • Addons do not bilster the value, or lack of, that the initial product carries.
  • Better resale only comes from the notion that the phone is still worth buying despite being used. Support also is a non issue because the hardware itself typically doesn't last long either.
  • Color options doesn't really make one product better than the other.
  • At this point, software largely separates cameras, not hardware. One can always change apps with Android.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Even if the reports are false, I think it's going to befall a similar fate to iPhone 5C. A lot of people, unfortunately, buy Apple products for the 'status' or 'prestige' so no one wants to cheap out on the device. It's not particularly appealing to me either. I'd prefer to buy the more expensive model and get more use and a few more years out of it. This whole lineup is overpriced anyway.

18 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I wasn't sure if the 7 got discontinued or not, still for sale though and the SE is too,those are like the value options in the US if you don't want a contract or used. I'd rather have an updated SE at a midrange price, disappointed it got killed off cause i'd prefer touch id and a 3.5mm jack is nice to have.

Well the SE is gone from Apple.ca so I can only assume it's discontinued. Of course carriers are probably going to have some stock to last for a few more months, but it's sad as I'm pretty sure many people were expecting the XR to be a replacement for the SE. And it wasn't. It just ended up being... it's own thing that sits between the 8 and XS, as if that was really necessary. 

Sucks because I would've gotten the SE, if Fido gave the it the same discount as the Galaxy A5 2017. 

image.thumb.png.6081ab5f6dcc04c48ae81d5211588cf9.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

IMO the Xr should of gone with a smaller form factor, a SE 2. 

Really though, if you have a 6s or newer theres little reason to get the latest. iOS 12 made some great optimizations on those older phones. Throw a new battery in and you aren't missing much from the new lineup. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Really though, if you have a 6s or newer theres little reason to get the latest. iOS 12 made some great optimizations on those older phones. Throw a new battery in and you aren't missing much from the new lineup. 

I have a 6s plus for my work and its about to get replaced by them with an android. But I want to get something similar for personal use so I have no choice other than the xr right now. 6T is tempting, but considering how my OPO has aged, I'm not very much convinced to go back.

3 hours ago, vetali said:

While I'd like to see an SE 2, the original SE was ultimately a bit of a niche -- you got it because you either really liked small phones or just wanted the most affordable device possible.  Apple needed a bread-and-butter iPhone that served the most people, and the XR seems to do the job nicely.

The 6s is borderline, I'd say.  It holds up well, but I can rattle off quite a few ways in which an XR would be better.  The comparison gets harder with the 7 and up, but I'd still say some people have a good reason to upgrade.

12 hours ago, kokakolia said:

- Better build quality

- Better color options

- Better camera

- Better speakers 

The only thing i agree is the resale value(cause of people and not real value) and camera. Still as an iphone it's looking great in the ocean.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Apple needed a bread-and-butter iPhone that served the most people, and the XR seems to do the job nicely.

I think the XR has potential but this iteration with the with the strange sub-hd resolution and lack of support for features like Force Touch, I think it leaves room for improvement. Although it seems to be reviewing well so who knows, never really know what a product is like until you get hands-on with it.

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I think the XR has potential but this iteration with the with the strange sub-hd resolution and lack of support for features like Force Touch, I think it leaves room for improvement. Although it seems to be reviewing well so who knows, never really know what a product is like until you get hands-on with it.

The 828p screen makes sense based on how iOS interface scaling works.  It preserves a DPI figure Apple has been using on its phones for ages while allowing for a larger size... and, of course, keeping costs in check.

With that said, it would be great if Apple could find a way to up the resolution relatively soon (not counting on 2019), that'd be nice.  I've used the XR in-store and it actually looks pretty sharp at typical viewing distances, but as an XS owner I can also point out areas where extra resolution could help.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:08 AM, Tech Enthusiast said:

*Same PPI. The resolution was bumped to preserve that 326PPI figure. 

On 11/7/2018 at 1:56 AM, RedRound2 said:

Putting in a higher res display takes u more GPU power and more battery. 

Not really. It's not a massive jump from the 828p resolution and the iPhone usually renders in a higher resolution and than downscaling that render to fit the display. 

It's 2018. There are high resolution panels that are also power efficient. 

I don't think they have to go QHD because I still find it mostly unnecessary, but 1080p at the very least would've been nice, especially for how much they're charging. 828p is fine for most general use cases (I've used one) but for $750, 1080p should've been there IMO. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1