New to PC Building... this is what I am planning for my first build

UnReal_Orbit

Hey guys. So this is going to be my first pc build ever, and I would really appreciate some feedback on what I have chosen. Also, one thing to keep in mind when reviewing this list is that I am going for a pure white build with blue RGB. My budget is about $1,500. Yes, I know the build is a little above that, but I'd like to stay around $1,500. Here is what I've got so far:

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $259.99

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99

Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $159.99

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $144.99

Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.00

Video Card: MSI- GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (Armor) $499.00

Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (White w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $100.00

Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.2 CFM 120mm Fans $109.49

Extras: NZXT Internal USB Hub Controller, Black $19.45

Corsair CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting Pro Expansion Kit $39.99

Total: $1636.87 before tax

P.S. I currently do not have a gaming monitor, but I am going to have one by the end of the year, so that will not be calculated within this build price.

1) Don't buy full price keys you can get windows 10 home and pro keys for 10-15$

2) If you plan on overclocking get a better cooler, although that one isn't terrible. 

3) Get a smaller hard drive and add a 250gb SSD 

Just my opinion other than that I don't see any glaring issues 

OKOKOK!! First thing is first! We're going to save you some money and gain better performance. 

Bump the HDD (which is only running at 5400RPM anyway) down to a 2TB. Seagate's Barracuda 2tb is a great one for only 58 bucks.

Get an SSD!!! SSD's are so cheap right now. You can look at something like ADATA, Crucial, or Samsung. The 860Evo is currently only 82 dollars. 

That 212 cooler won't keep your cpu very cool... Look at something like Cyroig, Noctua, or an AIO. Don't cheap out on cooling your system. 

Get rid of the LED fans for now, consider performance and longevity over aesthetics for now. You can always buy better looking cosmetics later. 

Once you've done that, see if you like the price, if you don't like it and still want to keep all the LED/RGB stuff than you can opt for AMD. AMD's stock cooler is enough to cool an overclock so you can save some money there too. 

Dont get the 8600k, Either get a i7 8700k, or get ryzen. Also you can get a used 1080ti for 500$ easily nowadays. Never get a piece of shit cooler for high end parts, that cooler was not designed to keep that kind of chip in check.

3 minutes ago, Cigano said:

1) Don't buy full price keys you can get windows 10 home and pro keys for 10-15$

2) If you plan on overclocking get a better cooler, although that one isn't terrible. 

3) Get a smaller hard drive and add a 250gb SSD 

Just my opinion other than that I don't see any glaring issues 

Where would I get a key for that cheap? 

1 minute ago, UnReal_Orbit said:

Where would I get a key for that cheap? 

I'll be the first to say that the keys may not work. If it does work, than it will never be removed. You won't have to worry about the key expiring, being deleted, disappeared, or anything. 

Ebay and G2A

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

OKOKOK!! First thing is first! We're going to save you some money and gain better performance. 

Bump the HDD (which is only running at 5400RPM anyway) down to a 2TB. Seagate's Barracuda 2tb is a great one for only 58 bucks.

Get an SSD!!! SSD's are so cheap right now. You can look at something like ADATA, Crucial, or Samsung. The 860Evo is currently only 82 dollars. 

That 212 cooler won't keep your cpu very cool... Look at something like Cyroig, Noctua, or an AIO. Don't cheap out on cooling your system. 

Get rid of the LED fans for now, consider performance and longevity over aesthetics for now. You can always buy better looking cosmetics later. 

Once you've done that, see if you like the price, if you don't like it and still want to keep all the LED/RGB stuff than you can opt for AMD. AMD's stock cooler is enough to cool an overclock so you can save some money their too. 

Ok, awesome! I am new to this, so can you explain the advantage to having a ssd to me? How is this for a cpu cooler? https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-HYDRO-Liquid-Cooler-Radiator/dp/B009VV56TY/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541456556&sr=1-9&keywords=cpu+cooler I will remove the led fans from my build for now and see what my pricing is at. I do not know much about AMD, so I'd like to stick with Intel.

an you explain the advantage to having a ssd to me?

faster boot time and whatever programs you download onto the ssd will load faster

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Dont get the 8600k, Either get a i7 8700k, or get ryzen. Also you can get a used 1080ti for 500$ easily nowadays. Never get a piece of shit cooler for high end parts, that cooler was not designed to keep that kind of chip in check.

What is the reasoning behind switching the chip? I am also staying away from used items for this build. I just can't trust anyone anymore. Too many people trying to scam.

5 minutes ago, DVA said:

I'll be the first to say that the keys may not work. If it does work, than it will never be removed. You won't have to worry about the key expiring, being deleted, disappeared, or anything. 

Ebay and G2A

well the website i'm linking I personally have bought from and they are sponsored by many trustworthy tech youtube sites. I know many people personally who have bought through them and have never had an issue.They're literally rated a 9.8/10 on trustpilot with 900 reviews 

What is the reasoning behind switching the chip? I am also staying away from used items for this build. I just can't trust anyone anymore. Too many people trying to scam.

The 8600k is fine it's a great processor he's just talking about future proofing I imagine. 

1 minute ago, Cigano said:

The 8600k is fine it's a great processor he's just talking about future proofing I imagine. 

I gotcha. Yeah, I'm not trying to go too overkill with this. I can upgrade as I go also.

Ok, awesome! I am new to this, so can you explain the advantage to having a ssd to me? How is this for a cpu cooler? https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-HYDRO-Liquid-Cooler-Radiator/dp/B009VV56TY/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541456556&sr=1-9&keywords=cpu+cooler I will remove the led fans from my build for now and see what my pricing is at. I do not know much about AMD, so I'd like to stick with Intel.

The SSD will allow pretty much anything you store on it to load X amount faster than an HDD. Let's say you turn on your PC and it takes 1 minute to get you to your home screen, an SSD can knock that down to something like 10-15 seconds. Opening PhotoShop or your favorite game? Opens damn near instantly. Keep in mind, once you get down to your last free 10% space on the SSD, it will begin to slow down, and it will be noticeable. 

That one is ok for like an mini-atx build, try this one instead though https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting-Software/dp/B019EXSSBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541456696&sr=8-1&keywords=h100+v2

Remember, you're cooling down your PC, the brains of the PC. If it gets too hot, it could fry. I know you'd like to save money but the cooler is no place to do so. 

You didn't know much about Intel at one point either, get to know AMD. Think about it and come back. AMD is currently the best way to get your bang for buck. Intel is better for gaming though, but that doesn't mean AMD is bad by any means. 

I'd make you a PCP list but it seems to be down at the time of writing this...

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

The SSD will allow pretty much anything you store on it to load X amount faster than an HDD. Let's say you turn on your PC and it takes 1 minute to get you to your home screen, an SSD can knock that down to something like 10-15 seconds. Opening PhotoShop or your favorite game? Opens damn near instantly. Keep in mind, once you get down to your last free 10% space on the SSD, it will begin to slow down, and it will be noticeable. 

That one is ok for like an mini-atx build, try this one instead though https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting-Software/dp/B019EXSSBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541456696&sr=8-1&keywords=h100+v2

Remember, you're cooling down your PC, the brains of the PC. If it gets too hot, it could fry. I know you'd like to save money but the cooler is no place to do so. 

You didn't know much about Intel at one point either, get to know AMD. Think about it and come back. AMD is currently the best way to get your bang for buck. Intel is better for gaming though, but that doesn't mean AMD is bad by any means. 

I'd make you a PCP list but it seems to be down at the time of writing this...

Okay, sounds good. This PC will be mainly used for gaming, the only other thing it will be used for is surfing the web and watching Youtube. That's it. I will add that cooler to my build. Are those fans interchangeable, so if I wanted to, I could change them out for RGB fans?

Just now, UnReal_Orbit said:

Okay, sounds good. This PC will be mainly used for gaming, the only other thing it will be used for is surfing the web and watching Youtube. That's it. I will add that cooler to my build. Are those fans interchangeable, so if I wanted to, I could change them out for RGB fans?

The fans are screwed on to the radiator which means they can be swapped out for some other ones. The cool thing too is, let's say you only had enough left over money to buy a 3 pack of RGB fans, you could insert two on the AIO and use one on the back. If your case (I have not looked at your case yet) has the space, you can use the fans that were included with the AIO still. Just plug them up onto the mobo and you're good to go. 

Just now, DVA said:

The fans are screwed on to the radiator which means they can be swapped out for some other ones. The cool thing too is, let's say you only had enough left over money to buy a 3 pack of RGB fans, you could insert two on the AIO and use one on the back. If your case (I have not looked at your case yet) has the space, you can use the fans that were included with the AIO still. Just plug them up onto the mobo and you're good to go. 

Sweet! Just what I wanted to hear lol. So should I wait to buy everything until Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or is there that much of a price difference? 

Sweet! Just what I wanted to hear lol. So should I wait to buy everything until Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or is there that much of a price difference? 

I'd say it's close enough that you'll be fine waiting, it wouldn't hurt. I will say this though, sometimes you can find better sales at random times.

For instance: I got my 8700k for 300 bucks from Wal-Mart NEW. It is priced at 379 or so at the moment. 

I got my 860 500gb SSD for 60 bucks on a clearance sale, it's around 86 bucks. 

There is currently a 24" monitor version, the EXACT same one that I want, but it's 24" instead of 27. Anyway, it's currently $329 vs the normal price of $400. 

Long story short, just keep an open eye out. Use things like PCPartPicker. Subscribe to Newegg's email alerts. 

Newegg is having a Black November event, meaning there are HUGE savings everyday, just check what's on sale. 

Sometimes Amazon has great sales too on PC components. I bought my Z370 board for $120, it's currently $150. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

I'd say it's close enough that you'll be fine waiting, it wouldn't hurt. I will say this though, sometimes you can find better sales at random times.

For instance: I got my 8700k for 300 bucks from Wal-Mart NEW. It is priced at 379 or so at the moment. 

I got my 860 500gb SSD for 60 bucks on a clearance sale, it's around 86 bucks. 

There is currently a 24" monitor version, the EXACT same one that I want, but it's 24" instead of 27. Anyway, it's currently $329 vs the normal price of $400. 

Long story short, just keep an open eye out. Use things like PCPartPicker. Subscribe to Newegg's email alerts. 

Newegg is having a Black November event, meaning there are HUGE savings everyday, just check what's on sale. 

Sometimes Amazon has great sales too on PC components. I bought my Z370 board for $120, it's currently $150. 

So if something is on sale for $20 or more off, probably pick it up? Cause who knows when it will be lower than the current sale price.

So if something is on sale for $20 or more off, probably pick it up? Cause who knows when it will be lower than the current sale price.

Ehh, that's an iffy question. I use PCPartPicker's price history tool. I look for patterns and such on prices. I was testing out a pattern I saw, it being that a lot of PC parts were on huge sales during summer, then a few weeks before Black Friday, they skyrocket. Come Black Friday, they drop to a med price. I'll give an example. 

I bought my z370 board for $119. 

It was steady for a few months at $139

I believe it is currently at $149 or $159. 

I believe during Black Friday it should go down to $129 or so. 

So, just checks for trends and patterns and decide from there. 

2 hours ago, DVA said:

Ehh, that's an iffy question. I use PCPartPicker's price history tool. I look for patterns and such on prices. I was testing out a pattern I saw, it being that a lot of PC parts were on huge sales during summer, then a few weeks before Black Friday, they skyrocket. Come Black Friday, they drop to a med price. I'll give an example. 

I bought my z370 board for $119. 

It was steady for a few months at $139

I believe it is currently at $149 or $159. 

I believe during Black Friday it should go down to $129 or so. 

So, just checks for trends and patterns and decide from there. 

Alright, I'll keep an eye out and look on the pcpp price history and compare to current prices. If it seems to be the lowest, or close to the lowest it's been for a while, I'll probably pick it up. Is there any of the parts that rarely go on sale, even Black Friday?

1 hour ago, UnReal_Orbit said:

Alright, I'll keep an eye out and look on the pcpp price history and compare to current prices. If it seems to be the lowest, or close to the lowest it's been for a while, I'll probably pick it up. Is there any of the parts that rarely go on sale, even Black Friday?

GPU's, CPU's (intel ones), other than that, everything does drop some. Note that things like RAM won't drop too much, but you can save a nice 15-30 dollars. Every thing adds up :D

1 minute ago, DVA said:

GPU's, CPU's (intel ones), other than that, everything does drop some. Note that things like RAM won't drop too much, but you can save a nice 15-30 dollars. Every thing adds up :D

Very true! Even saving $100 would help a lot lol. Then I'll go ahead and get the gpu (already got it lol). I'll wait until the Black Friday ads come out and if there isn't anything, oh well I guess.

Very true! Even saving $100 would help a lot lol. Then I'll go ahead and get the gpu (already got it lol). I'll wait until the Black Friday ads come out and if there isn't anything, oh well I guess.

Very awesome man!! Which GPU did you get? 

I'm looking out for all the ads as well, go to my profile and drop a follow, I'll let you know if I catch anything good. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Very awesome man!! Which GPU did you get? 

I'm looking out for all the ads as well, go to my profile and drop a follow, I'll let you know if I catch anything good. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GXOWUDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dropped a follow also! Gotta make the most of Black Friday. I'm really hyped for this build.