Raspberry Pi NAS [ 'Compactizing' and rebuilding the case ~FINISHED NOW] 20th Feb 2015

[uPDATE]

Sorry that there havent been any updates, but now there are! I hooked up the two drives and put them in my diy nas box and my friend helped me and got the server running nicely. It is now in heavy use already when all of our computers are backing up there. The other drive is not in raid as i previously told but my friend made me a script so i can sync those two drives with a simple command whenever i think they should be synced.

I had to put a lan switch next to the tv now as we have a iptv. It is now about 5m from our main router and runs nicely :)

Speeds are not anything special tho... About 5-6mb/s, but it is more than i thought :D

I also put a ghetto mounted computer fan in the back and now the whole box runs nice and cool.

Here's some pictures, sorry for the dust :D

My mothers icon on top of the box...

post-9983-0-55600500-1389892911_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-35073700-1389892921_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-00047300-1389892929_thumb.jp

Here is that fan connector taped in to a regulator :D

post-9983-0-66238100-1389892902_thumb.jp

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

Actually i managed to f**k up the permissions in the pi last night... YEEHAW, now i cant connect to it... Only my friend can connect and he will fix the permissions today :D

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

Hey guys i don't know if anyone noticed but Pi NAS sounds like Penis :PP 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

It looks like you have been working really Hard. Seams like there has been a lot of sweat and graft that you have put in with your hands. Its looks like it must be a good few inches of pure fun. Hope your girlfriend has been able to help out where needed...

Okay, got all of those penis jokes out of my system.. It looks good man. Quite a compact little system.

Yeehaawww :D My friend Razbit fixed it today and the permissions are good again :D

Hey guys i don't know if anyone noticed but Pi NAS sounds like Penis :PP 

Hey don't you start... :D :D

It looks like you have been working really Hard. Seams like there has been a lot of sweat and graft that you have put in with your hands. Its looks like it must be a good few inches of pure fun. Hope your girlfriend has been able to help out where needed...

Okay, got all of those penis jokes out of my system.. It looks good man. Quite a compact little system.

Cmon LTT is this really the only thing everybody thinks here xD But yeah it is pretty awesome little box. There's only that at the moment it is Syncing those two drives and it takes AGES, i have no progress bar anywhere so... Let's see if it is finished tomorrow. And oh yeah i need to have connection to it from my pc when syncing... Atleast for the first time. So i propably need to keep my pc on over the night...

Its too hard not to. God damn it, done it again...

Perhaps you could set the backup to be taken at a time you wont be using it. At least then it wont impact the performance of your network/PC.

Yes, my friend tried to do a syncing script so i would be easy to let it sync... But apparently it didnt work... Whole 18 hours and not a single file moved... I am now doing it the slow and old fashion way that atleast works... I hope that there is some way to let the Pi do all the work itself at nights or so.

Speeding hard! But look at that amount of files left!! And that isnt even half of what there is going to be...

post-9983-0-59148600-1390037593.jpg

Ahh yeah :) Now it is PERFECTLY running! It now syncs those two 1tb drives on its on with a simple command and i don't even need to have be connected to the Pi. SO COOL! :D

Something like a CubieBoard or the upcoming CubieTruck would have been good for this since they have sata ports... but the Pi is cool nonetheless 

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Something like a CubieBoard or the upcoming CubieTruck would have been good for this since they have sata ports... but the Pi is cool nonetheless 

Hmm. Haven't heard of those, got to check em out :) And yeah, Pi is quite cool :D

EDIT: Damn, cubieboard looked cool! That Sata port would have been nice... And it has got more power. One plus goes to Pi, it has more tutorials on the net :D

Hmm. Haven't heard of those, got to check em out :) And yeah, Pi is quite cool :D

EDIT: Damn, cubieboard looked cool! That Sata port would have been nice... And it has got more power. One plus goes to Pi, it has more tutorials on the net :D

Yeah it does have more tutorials, but a lot of the tutorials (like installing Java 8 on ARM) for the Pi work for the CubieBoard

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Yeah it does have more tutorials, but a lot of the tutorials (like installing Java 8 on ARM) for the Pi work for the CubieBoard

That is true. And most of all other linux things works on both of them. You should have told me about cubieboard before! :)

That is true. And most of all other linux things works on both of them. You should have told me about cubieboard before! :)

If only I would have known!  I love my CubieBoard :D

• 1 month later...

Just a small FYI, it has now been running for two months and has not even once shut down! It is one hell of a good NAS. Also the speeds went up when i switched to cabled network :P Now it goes about 10mb/s which is good enough for me.

you should put owncloud on it ;) 

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

you should put owncloud on it ;)

I was actually just thinking about that last week! But the only problem is that and i reall dont want to mess up my samba shares. And i read that there have been some conflicts between samba and owncloud. It really is a veeeerry interesting consept and i will try it out at some point :)

Today i installed a web server on it also. It has a real website up now :) It is amazing how versatile that small cheap machine can be. It works flawlessy as NAS and a web server at the same time!

Today i installed a web server on it also. It has a real website up now :) It is amazing how versatile that small cheap machine can be. It works flawlessy as NAS and a web server at the same time!

Teach me your amazing ways O_O  I know nothing... haha :D

Teach me your amazing ways O_O  I know nothing... haha :D

I am not a pro but google really has helped me :D And also if everything fails, i have a friend that is very familiar with linux.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you are interested but it has now been running for almost five months :) And not even once crashed! I would call that a stable low cost/power nas!

• 6 months later...

I have finally installed owncloud on it and it is AWESOME! It is just... awesome, try it if you haven't already! :) The installation requires some basic knowledge of Linux or a good guide from the web. It is easy to set it up but making it work with samba share is a different story. It works now but it was a PIA... It has also been running for... what, like ten months? Not a single bug or problem discovered. I also overclocked it to 900mhz without touching to volts and it actually noticeably increased the performance. This week i also upgraded the sd card to 32gb so i can sync my school stuff from there to my home and the other way around. Not that it didn't have enough space as it has two one terabyte hdds but i wanted to use my school stuff without wearing out the hdds by spinning them up without a good reason. 

Now look who has become a Linux-admin :D

I still remember when a year ago you were asking all kinds of stuff from me, like mounting and changing directories (and responding with WOW that's useful!), and look at you now: now you have made your own keyremapping scripts, overclocked your rpi from the cli and you got thumbdrives everywhere, loaded with Linux :D

Now I'm the one who asks things ;)

And the system really seems good, have you measured its consumption BTW?

Keep on rocking in the free (and open source) world!

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland

• 1 month later...

[update FINALLY]  

Finally a Real update. RPi has been fine but I wanted to do something about the big and bulky case I had it lying in. Also the massive number of FOUR transformers... From now on there will only be one nice Phobya psu which looks like a laptop psu but only has a molex connector in the other end. Molex is handy because it delivers five volts for RPi and 12v for the two hdds and one Noctua 60mm fan. 

I will try to make the case as compact as I can and it should also look good :) The main frame will be made out of wood but front and top will be aluminium. Not sure about the colors yet tho.

I fetched some wood, psu and the fan today. Here are some pics of them, nothing spectacular yet :)

post-9983-0-82258800-1422111576_thumb.jp

Psu and Noctua NF-A6

post-9983-0-21923300-1422111601_thumb.jp

Some sketching

post-9983-0-45550200-1422111626_thumb.jp

Here is how i plan to place the wooden pieces.

The sides without wood will be made out of aluminium

Thanks for reading, stay tuned for more ;)

Looks great, keep it up! :)

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland