Which desktop computer generates the most heat?

columbusohio

Hi there, I want to find a desktop or anything, that generates or blows a lot of heat from its systems and it can be used as a space heater over the winter. Right now I have a dell optiplex 620, equipped with an ancient pentium d 915 cpu, and it actually generates a considerable amount of heat to warm my legs. Do you guys know any better performing PC, AMD or Intel, cpubenchmark 2000>, that generates an absolutely stunning amount of heat that warms your legs up in cold days?

FX 9590 + R9 295x2 Crossfire, or GTX 480 should work just fine!

/s

A spaceheater would be a more appropriate (functional/effecient) solution to this.. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My rig will kick out ~315W of heat with GPU and CPU at full load(Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 780).

R9 Fury Xs ran pretty hot, as did the R9 295X2, pretty much any FX 8/9xxx CPU. GTX 4xx/5xx cards and higher end 6/7xx cards as well(my 780 pulls 250W).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

This video should help as a guide if you're serious about this:

But a conventional space heater would be a better option.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, columbusohio said:

Literally anything under full load

What you mostly need is a large heat sink and plenty of airflow to prevent it from dying.

Just buy a real space heater though

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, columbusohio said:

that generates or blows a lot of heat

That would be the AMD FX 9xxx series space heaters, and if your mining the gpu's or asics.

i don't think that's exactly how that works... i use a dual-xeon server as my main pc, and the air coming out of it is quite cold, not hot enough to warm my feet anyway. even though it consumes about 200 watts at idle, and a lot more when under load. 

it does heat my room though. if i leave it on for hours it gets a few degrees hotter. 

She/Her

Gotta go threadripper if you want to warm your toes. In reality, any cpu/gpu combo will work as long as you have slightly sub par cooling solutions for them so they run over 85 C.

7 hours ago, Minibois said:

A spaceheater would be a more appropriate (functional/effecient) solution to this.. 

A space heater would be cheaper but it's the same efficiency when it comes to power consumed turning into heat. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

Mining seems to be the way to go if you want to use a PC as a heater.

4 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i don't think that's exactly how that works... i use a dual-xeon server as my main pc, and the air coming out of it is quite cold, not hot enough to warm my feet anyway.

Sounds like your PC isn't exhausting to your feet in that case. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Am I too late to make an original AMD joke?

old hardware, heavy work load, PC in a position to move as much air around the area you want heated. 

For the serious heater experience I had an old friend who's family had 4/5 PC running in a small room 24/7.  Their power bill was something stupid like $2800 a quarter, but that room was toasty 24/7.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Sounds like your PC isn't exhausting to your feet in that case. 

correct

She/Her

@mr moose Every time I see your avatar I think of how much it looks like Jayztwocents. Where is it actually from? ?

@everyone else, you can't unsee it now. You're welcome.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

AMD FX-9590 is one of the best CPU's for heating and for GPU's I'd recommend 4-way SLI GTX 480 or 580. If you want more heat, then overclock the CPU and GPU's.

You might need a pretty good PSU and CPU cooler.

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

14 hours ago, columbusohio said:

I want to find a desktop or anything, that generates or blows a lot of heat ... can be used as a space heater over the winter.

Space heaters work great as...space heaters.

You must need a PC for a project or something to suggest this? I mean you can just go and buy a heater for a fraction of the cost, so there has to be more to the story than this.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

9th gen intel chips might work too as a space heater.

In fact an i-9 9900k and acrossfire VEGA setup is probably about the warmest you can get, at least till software comes along to fully use the RTX series ray tracing, i suspect thats going to see a massive jump in thermals when it hits.

To be fair it depends on room size too. My I5-4690k + GTX 970 have kept my room toasty for years without issue, but this is a tiny room, under 100ft^2, (9m^2 if you prefer imperial).

The highest tdp processors are amd 2nd gen threadripper.  I can't seem to find any info about tdp for gpu's but my logic would dictate that the more cuda cores the more heating potential.  So for gpu i'd look at older titans.

33 minutes ago, JammyCreedog said:

my logic would dictate that the more cuda cores the more heating potential.

All electrical energy a computer uses eventually ends up as heat.

Basically, power draw = heat.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I run the FX-9590 liquid cooled (triple radiator double width) in my PC with an RX 580, and when I am stress testing the ambient temperature in the room can shift from around 68 to 80+ within an hour (my rig is overclocked and pulls around 520 watts when at full synthetic load). You have to be able to extract (hence the liquid cooling mention) the heat from the CPU or GPU to get good heat dissipation throughout the room. Granted, my room is not small, its kinda medium. Used to be a dining room before we put a wall up, my 3 windows are covered by insulated blackout curtains so there is very little loss of heat.

16 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

@mr moose Every time I see your avatar I think of how much it looks like Jayztwocents. Where is it actually from? ?

@everyone else, you can't unsee it now. You're welcome.

His name is max headroom, he's an 80's tv personality that was supposed to be computer generated (man in a suit with plenty of post processing) It was awesome for it's time.  The gif is from thee song parnormia by The Art of Noise.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

His name is max headroom, he's an 80's tv personality that was supposed to be computer generated (man in a suit with plenty of post processing) It was awesome for it's time.  The gif is from thee song parnormia by The Art of Noise.

I had always assumed he was the Trololo Guy so when he ever the guy in the gif i just assumed he was singing the Trololo song lol

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker