Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakkuh_t

Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

wkdpaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

Message added by wkdpaul

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

nice will use my i78700k.gigbayte 1080 its a great cause my Dad died when i was 17 of lung cancer realy shitty thing to go through really hope they find a cure for this and the others i know of family friends who had Alzheimers 

16 minutes ago, andyme said:

nice will use my i78770k.gigbayte 1080 its a great cause my Dad died when i was 17 of lung cancer realy shitty thing to go through really hope they find a cure for this and the others i know of family friends who had Alzheimers 

It is heart broken and sad to hear your story.

I've started folding this month, and now I've joined the team. Earlier this year I built a simple workstation from an Intel Celeron Dual-Core G3900 2.8GHz Socket 1151 CPU,

a 250GB SSD,

a 1TB HDD, 

2 x Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM,

and an old 1GB graphics card.

I assembled this lot together, on a Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Socket LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard, and powered it with a 

Masterwatt Lite V2 400w.

I started using this limited box to run my automated backup system; but I soon found that the majority of the CPU cycles were going to waste.

Eventually I dedicated those spare cycles to science by running F@H.

The machine needs to run 24/7 to do my ongoing backup jobs when they need doing; so I'm also folding almost 24/7 too.

I just joined up so I thought I'd stop by and say "hi".

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

What username are you trying to use? You are able to use letters and numbers in your username, but special characters such as #$%*@#(%{}:" may not be supported.
If possible, try and use the same username for Folding@Home that you use on the forum here.

You can't do spaces or underscores, either. Pretty much confined to letters and numbers.

If only the client wasn't so broken I could use my gpu to fold. It's just stuck in "connecting" in orange. Tried to reinstall and reboot dozens of times. Filled the configuration file a couple times and pasted it everywhere.

Can only use the browser one as of now...

CPU: Intel Pentium G4600  | Motherboard: Asus H-270M Plus | RAM: 2x4GB 2400MHz G.Skill Aegis | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classified | PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG | Cooler: Nox Hummer H-212 | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | HDD: 2.5" WD Black 750GB | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 943NW
17 minutes ago, Leirisal said:

If only the client wasn't so broken I could use my gpu to fold. It's just stuck in "connecting" in orange. Tried to reinstall and reboot dozens of times. Filled the configuration file a couple times and pasted it everywhere.

Can only use the browser one as of now...

Make sure you have OpenCL installed with the display drivers. Try downloading the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturers website.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Can i get some help?

I downloaded the installer, ran it, then it opens my browser. This all works fine.

What i want help with is setting the levels. I tried putting it on light (im an ict major student and do datamining courses atm, so cant put it on max yet). But then it only runs on my cpu? My gpu says its paused for idle. :/ 
When i check task manager it uses 50% of my processor on light and 0% on my gpu. Can i set these values myself (cpu: 10%, gpu: 10%)?

When i set it to medium it uses my cpu for 100% and GPU for 60%, that cant be right can it? I mean i thought medium would be 50/50.

My hardware: I7 4790, Strix GTX 1070, 24Gb RAM.

Thanks already! :D

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Make sure you have OpenCL installed with the display drivers. Try downloading the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturers website.

So, I did have the latest driver available. Tried to reinstall it with and without DDU, to no avail. GPUz shows openCL disabled. How do i enable it?

EDIT: i have a GTX 780

CPU: Intel Pentium G4600  | Motherboard: Asus H-270M Plus | RAM: 2x4GB 2400MHz G.Skill Aegis | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classified | PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG | Cooler: Nox Hummer H-212 | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | HDD: 2.5" WD Black 750GB | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 943NW
Just now, Leirisal said:

So, I did have the latest driver available. Tried to reinstall it with and without DDU, to no avail. GPUz shows openCL disabled. How do i enable it?

1. Download the installer package for the latest driver from website
  2. Boot in to Safe mode
  3. Run DDU
  4. Restart in safe mode
  5. Install latest drivers from the installer package you downloaded from the manufacturer website
  6. Restart & check GPU-Z to see if OpenCL is checked.

Should work. Sometimes if you're not in safe mode and you have an internet connection Windows will automatically install drivers when you boot. Windows often leaves out the OpenCL drivers from its display driver package.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:
  1. Download the installer package for the latest driver from website
  2. Boot in to Safe mode
  3. Run DDU
  4. Restart in safe mode
  5. Install latest drivers from the installer package you downloaded from the manufacturer website
  6. Restart & check GPU-Z to see if OpenCL is checked.

Should work. Sometimes if you're not in safe mode and you have an internet connection Windows will automatically install drivers when you boot. Windows often leaves out the OpenCL drivers from its display driver package.

I did as you told me to and ended up without physx AND no opencl. tried to reinstall over it again (now in normal mode) got my physx, GFExperience, but still no opencl

17 minutes ago, Leirisal said:

I did as you told me to and ended up without physx AND no opencl. tried to reinstall over it again (now in normal mode) got my physx, GFExperience, but still no opencl

Try downloading the previous driver version and seeing if that helps.
https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

36 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Still nothing. Tried 399.07 and 388.43. I'm suspecting it's something with the OS. It's been having a couple problems here and there, and I'm probably better off reinstalling it. Thanks for trying to help

4 hours ago, Saash35 said:

one question - do we get to hook up multiple systems?

yes

there is even a stat in their profile with number of clients you have.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Okay, quick update: Formatted windows and is now working perfectly. Even the driver installed by the windows update worked just fine. It's funny because it was formatted like two weeks ago. Again thanks for the help :)

On 11/9/2018 at 2:53 AM, sazrocks said:

You can use a VM (Ubuntu is recommended for max perf, though be prepared for some tinkering. PM Gorgon if you need help) or you can use a docker container, like this one: http://www.adamantine.me/fah/ or this one: https://github.com/johnktims/folding-at-home, both of which will require some configuration.

Personally I'm using the VM solution so I'm not sure how easy the containers are to configure.

Which of the three files do I use to setup FAH? client, control or viewer?

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

finally a competition worth partaking, started folding couple hours ago. this is awesome.

i have a question though, my username hasnt shown up on the f@h team page, am i doing something wrong? apprecitate some help. cheers.

/edit:

linux user, but real fucking noob.

Edited by retibra
14 hours ago, Spotty said:

Have you registered for a passkey and edited your identity in the folding client to include the passkey? You should be getting more points than that.

I have registered. Probably didn't get that many points because I wasn't using the best hardware on that PC.