Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

What username are you trying to use? You are able to use letters and numbers in your username, but special characters such as #$%*@#(%{}:" may not be supported.
If possible, try and use the same username for Folding@Home that you use on the forum here.

You can't do spaces or underscores, either. Pretty much confined to letters and numbers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If only the client wasn't so broken I could use my gpu to fold. It's just stuck in "connecting" in orange. Tried to reinstall and reboot dozens of times. Filled the configuration file a couple times and pasted it everywhere.

Can only use the browser one as of now...

17 minutes ago, Leirisal said:

If only the client wasn't so broken I could use my gpu to fold. It's just stuck in "connecting" in orange. Tried to reinstall and reboot dozens of times. Filled the configuration file a couple times and pasted it everywhere.

Can only use the browser one as of now...

Make sure you have OpenCL installed with the display drivers. Try downloading the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturers website.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Can i get some help?

I downloaded the installer, ran it, then it opens my browser. This all works fine.

What i want help with is setting the levels. I tried putting it on light (im an ict major student and do datamining courses atm, so cant put it on max yet). But then it only runs on my cpu? My gpu says its paused for idle. :/ 
When i check task manager it uses 50% of my processor on light and 0% on my gpu. Can i set these values myself (cpu: 10%, gpu: 10%)?

When i set it to medium it uses my cpu for 100% and GPU for 60%, that cant be right can it? I mean i thought medium would be 50/50.

My hardware: I7 4790, Strix GTX 1070, 24Gb RAM.

Thanks already! :D

I THINK I have been folding for a week or so now, no idea where I can check my results.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Make sure you have OpenCL installed with the display drivers. Try downloading the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturers website.

So, I did have the latest driver available. Tried to reinstall it with and without DDU, to no avail. GPUz shows openCL disabled. How do i enable it?

EDIT: i have a GTX 780

Just now, Leirisal said:

So, I did have the latest driver available. Tried to reinstall it with and without DDU, to no avail. GPUz shows openCL disabled. How do i enable it?

1. Download the installer package for the latest driver from website
  2. Boot in to Safe mode
  3. Run DDU
  4. Restart in safe mode
  5. Install latest drivers from the installer package you downloaded from the manufacturer website
  6. Restart & check GPU-Z to see if OpenCL is checked.

Should work. Sometimes if you're not in safe mode and you have an internet connection Windows will automatically install drivers when you boot. Windows often leaves out the OpenCL drivers from its display driver package.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:
  1. Download the installer package for the latest driver from website
  2. Boot in to Safe mode
  3. Run DDU
  4. Restart in safe mode
  5. Install latest drivers from the installer package you downloaded from the manufacturer website
  6. Restart & check GPU-Z to see if OpenCL is checked.

Should work. Sometimes if you're not in safe mode and you have an internet connection Windows will automatically install drivers when you boot. Windows often leaves out the OpenCL drivers from its display driver package.

I did as you told me to and ended up without physx AND no opencl. tried to reinstall over it again (now in normal mode) got my physx, GFExperience, but still no opencl

17 minutes ago, Leirisal said:

I did as you told me to and ended up without physx AND no opencl. tried to reinstall over it again (now in normal mode) got my physx, GFExperience, but still no opencl

Try downloading the previous driver version and seeing if that helps.
https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

36 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Still nothing. Tried 399.07 and 388.43. I'm suspecting it's something with the OS. It's been having a couple problems here and there, and I'm probably better off reinstalling it. Thanks for trying to help

4 hours ago, Saash35 said:

one question - do we get to hook up multiple systems?

yes

there is even a stat in their profile with number of clients you have.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Okay, quick update: Formatted windows and is now working perfectly. Even the driver installed by the windows update worked just fine. It's funny because it was formatted like two weeks ago. Again thanks for the help :)

On 11/9/2018 at 2:53 AM, sazrocks said:

You can use a VM (Ubuntu is recommended for max perf, though be prepared for some tinkering. PM Gorgon if you need help) or you can use a docker container, like this one: http://www.adamantine.me/fah/ or this one: https://github.com/johnktims/folding-at-home, both of which will require some configuration.

Personally I'm using the VM solution so I'm not sure how easy the containers are to configure.

Which of the three files do I use to setup FAH? client, control or viewer?

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

finally a competition worth partaking, started folding couple hours ago. this is awesome.

i have a question though, my username hasnt shown up on the f@h team page, am i doing something wrong? apprecitate some help. cheers.

/edit:

linux user, but real fucking noob.

Edited by retibra

Awesome i just set it up on my PC i have been meening to set this up maybe i can find a way to F@H for Cystic Fibrosis.

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

Have you registered for a passkey and edited your identity in the folding client to include the passkey? You should be getting more points than that.

I have registered. Probably didn't get that many points because I wasn't using the best hardware on that PC.

Doing whatever i can to help with my rig.

I wish santa claus gifts me a decent computer this Christmas.

IMG_20181110_214638.jpg

Decided to quit lurking and join the fun.  Rescued this thing off the recycle pile at work and been looking for something to use 24 threads for.  My mom's fought of breast cancer twice now, so this seemed like a good cause to get behind.

image.png

1 hour ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

Which of the three files do I use to setup FAH? client, control or viewer?

Client is mandatory (it actually does the folding)

Control is essentially advanced control, and requires an X session AFAIK (I just did mine on a VNC XSession). (Not mandatory, but will be necessary unless you plan on remotely controlling the client)

Viewer is just the cool-looking visualizer of the folding process (I skipped on it)

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

can someone show me a short video of what your pc looks like while folding? (on the screen) is it something i can sit and watch or does it just run in the background? 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

7 hours ago, Saash35 said:

one question - do we get to hook up multiple systems?

Yes! just make sure to enter in the same name and passkey on each system.

5 hours ago, pollepel said:

Can i get some help?

I downloaded the installer, ran it, then it opens my browser. This all works fine.

What i want help with is setting the levels. I tried putting it on light (im an ict major student and do datamining courses atm, so cant put it on max yet). But then it only runs on my cpu? My gpu says its paused for idle. :/
When i check task manager it uses 50% of my processor on light and 0% on my gpu. Can i set these values myself (cpu: 10%, gpu: 10%)?

When i set it to medium it uses my cpu for 100% and GPU for 60%, that cant be right can it? I mean i thought medium would be 50/50.

My hardware: I7 4790, Strix GTX 1070, 24Gb RAM.

Thanks already! :D

Unfortunately you can't limit GPU usage, its either all or nothing. You can change the number of CPU threads it uses though, just go to (on the advanced control) Configure>Slots>cpu>edit and change the number of threads to something less than 8. You can tinker around with it.

5 hours ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

I THINK I have been folding for a week or so now, no idea where I can check my results.

You can either check your results at folding.extremeoverclocking.com (updates every three hours) or https://stats.foldingathome.org/donors (updates instantly IIRC but isn't as pretty). Be sure you have a passkey set up!

55 minutes ago, retibra said:

finally a competition worth partaking, started folding couple hours ago. this is awesome.

i have a question though, my username hasnt shown up on the f@h team page, am i doing something wrong? apprecitate some help. cheers.

/edit:

linux user, but real fucking noob.

What team number did you enter and what is your username?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.