Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakkuh_t

Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

wkdpaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

Message added by wkdpaul

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

6 minutes ago, dahoff said:

So I'm looking at the Project Summary page and clicking on random projects to read the descriptions, and I can't find any projects that target Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, or Parkinson's, sort of Folding@home's original projects before they branched out to cancer, diabetes, Ebola, etc.

I'm not complaining, just curious if there are any active projects (I couldn't find any) that still target the old school brain/neurodegenerative diseases.

I thought they were the main ones to choose from

http://client.foldingathome.org

Then look at the drop down menu that says "I support research fighting" and pick from the four main choices Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, Parkinson's or Cancer....

17 minutes ago, gagiman said:

I thought they were the main ones to choose from

http://client.foldingathome.org

Then look at the drop down menu that says "I support research fighting" and pick from the four main choices Alzheimer's, Huntingon's, Parkinson's or Cancer....

I'm aware of the client preferences/configuration page (btw, I disabled the annoying Web client and only use the Advanced UI).  I was asking if there are any Active projects that support the original neurodegenerative disease targets, as my random clicking on the active project summary page has yielded nada.  :)

11 minutes ago, dahoff said:

I'm aware of the client preferences/configuration page (btw, I disabled the annoying Web client and only use the Advanced UI).  I was asking if there are any Active projects that support the original neurodegenerative disease targets, as my random clicking on the active project summary page has yielded nada.  :)

Apologies about the mixup, the active projects doesn't support easy viewing unless you click on them one by one. My guess is that perhaps those scientists researching those diseases aren't active at the moment or require some other forms of research before they need to use the folding mechanisms provided by FaH. 

Maybe one of the active projects do have some relevance to those targets but folding@home seems to have become a resource that helps science in general and updates can be sparce especially in providing information towards folders about what the scientists are doing unless it is an amazing update like "we cured cancer" or something super special. 

If it does become active again and you are looking to support fighting those diseases the advanced ui also gives the choice to specify the disease you wish to fight under the "cause preference" title in the advanced tab of the configure section

On 11/2/2018 at 9:19 PM, jakkuh_t said:

Hey everyone! 👋

I'm here to talk to y'all about Cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's. They're are all terrible diseases that have had an affect on nearly everyone in one way or another, and we want to help. Researching these conditions in an attempt to cure them is an incredibly expensive endeavor, but for many people, donating to fund these causes isn't an option. Thankfully, there is still something we all can do: Folding @ Home

With your gaming PC, laptop, server, or really any computer, you can donate processing power from your CPU or GPU when you're not using them to help run calculations on a vast number of distributed computation projects. This massive shared computational power can help researchers learn more about these diseases in an effort to better treat them, and it can make a HUGE difference in the fight to conquer them. To achieve this huge collaborative effort, Stanford University started developing the Folding @ Home project, all the way back in the year 2000. It's a simple software you can run on your PC that automagically uses your processing power when idling (or full time if you desire) for the previously mentioned calculations. 

In exchange for your valiant processing effort, you can earn points that show off your contribution to find the cures, in the form of a friendly competition. The LinusTechTips community & forum has had a folding team, number 223518, since 2013 and we'd love for you all to join it!

You can fold with pretty much anything, your dad's old dell prebuilt, a top tier RTX rig, or presumably even a Raspi. Every little bit helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help promote the project we're going to give away a couple awesome prizes! 😎

#1 - NVIDIA GTX 1080

• For this GPU, we will be picking someone randomly in the top 100 lifetime folders on the LinusTechTips team. This one will cater a bit to the long time folders.

#2 - Two NVIDIA GTX 1070's

• For each of these GPUs, we will put up an entry form on November 23rd, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select 2 random winners from these submissions. Entries will close on November 30th, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST.
  • Entries have closed.

Contest Info:

Hide contents

- Winners will be chosen on December 3rd, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- The contest is International

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal for the Folding @ Home project this year is to have 1 million concurrent folders, so get on there and start folding! :D

Downloading Folding @ Home: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

More Information: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips_team-223518/

Monthly Leaderboard: https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams-monthly

LinusTechTips Folding Team: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518

Also, if you want to sign up for the official LTT Folding month competition, entries close on November 6th, 2018 (this is seperate from the GPU giveaway/contest)

Be sure to post photos of your folding rigs, your progress, and any questions below! :D  (We've got a rig running with two 1080s, a 1080 Ti, and a Titan X pascal) 

Do the winners of the 1070s get an email? 

8 hours ago, Nusic said:

Do the winners of the 1070s get an email? 

As far as I'm aware, they get notified here, possibly via private message.

9 hours ago, justpoet said:

Curious as to how many entries there ended up being too. :)

On discord he said 350 ish, so maybe 1/175 ish chance of winning.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, jakkuh_t said:

The winners of the two GTX 1070 GPUs are:

@givingtnt and @HighFad

Congrats my dudes! I've sent them both a confirmation. If I don't get a reply in 72 hours prizes will be redrawn.

are you kidding ??
that's..
holy shitsnacksormofhell whAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

~New~  ThinkPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004 

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

are you kidding ??
that's..
holy shitsnacksormofhell whAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Who says trolls never get nice things! Congrats.

Build Logs: Cotton Candy Threads | ZEN CLARITY + | Just NCASE mITX | Noc Noc | NUC | Storage Log

Cotton Candy Threads - CPU AMD Threadripper 2950X | GPU 2x ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti | MOBO Asus ROG Zenith Extreme | MEMORY 128GB (8x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 | STORAGE 3x Samsung 960 Evo SSD + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 7.2k HDDs | PSU Corsair HX1200i w/ Cablemod Pro Extensions | COOLING Enermax LiqTech TR4 II 360 | CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black | LIGHTING 2x Corsair HD120 Fans, 4x Corsair Addressable RGB Strips, 2x Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

ZEN CLARITY + - CPU AMD Ryzen 2700X | GPU Radeon Vega 64 STRIX | MOBO Crosshair VII Hero | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Pro SSD + 2x SanDisk Ultra II SSDs | PSU Corsair RM1000i | COOLING Corsair H150i Pro | CASE Crystal 570X | LIGHTING 6x Corsair SP120 Fans, Cablemod Addressable RGB Strip, Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

Just NCASE mITX - CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz | GPU EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | MOBO Asus Z370-I Gaming | MEMORY 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Triden-Z RGB 3000 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD + Corsair MX500 1TB M.2 SSD | PSU Corsair SF600 | COOLING Noctua NH-U9S w/ Redux Push/Pull Fans | CASE NCase M1v5 | LIGHTING 2x Cablemod Addressable RGB Strips | PCPP

Noc Noc, Who's There? - CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X | GPU ASUS RTX 2080 OC | MOBO ASRock X399M Taichi | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) GSkill Trident-Z 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 970 Evo SSD | PSU Corsair HX1000i w/ Cablemod Pro B&W Kit | COOLING Noctua U9 TR4 w/ 2x Redux 92mm | CASE Corsair 280X White | FANS 6x Noctua 140mm Redux | PCPP

Congrats

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

The winners of the two GTX 1070 GPUs are:

@givingtnt and @HighFad

Congrats my dudes! I've sent them both a confirmation. If I don't get a reply in 72 hours prizes will be redrawn.

Congrats to both the winners.

But what a coincidence the winners of the "INTERNATIONAL CONTEST" are both living in "CANADA".

6 hours ago, Jafa134 said:

Congrats to both the winners.

But what a coincidence the winners of the "INTERNATIONAL CONTEST" are both living in "CANADA".

hell Its a miracle we're both in Québec !

Usually we're not allowed in these contests :D 

But it depends on how many  from where  have participated

~New~  ThinkPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004 

1 hour ago, givingtnt said:

hell Its a miracle we're both in Québec !

Usually we're not allowed in these contests :D 

But it depends on how many  from where  have participated

I smell a conspiracy... And It smells like Maple Syrup! /s

Congrats to everyone

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Well, I've finally done it.  I finally hit 1 million points, all with some spare Xeon server cores (in an already running server). :)

I also got the electric bill, which is about $100 more this month as a result.  :(

Definitely looking forward to spring when I intend to install solar power.

1 hour ago, barzaka12 said:

Where I can join the monthly folding contest?

We wish... there is none. There was a "contest" for the month of November that was organized by some members here at the forum, honor and glory was the reward for participation.  LTT chipped in with three prizes at a later stage to encourage the initiative.

BUT we fold all year long and for the joy and glory of ITNOS (in the name of science) 💪 That, and heating in the winter  🔥

You are more than welcome to join the team and our own lair in the folding subforum 👍

Hi

I'm new to Folding@Home, I try to do my share as my rig is quite old (I5-2400, GTX1050). But I also like to keep up with the team's score.

On November  we were crunching BIG WU's numbers (500% more than Oct.) and came up the ranks 7 places (10 to 3).

But now, when the giveaway is over, we dropped 1 place, and if we extrapolate the current score, we are gonna have 25% less credits and 100,000 less WU's this month in comparison to November.

All these numbers are not just numbers, not just an honor game between group to show who has the bigger... - Those numbers represent how much closer we are to find solutions to save millions of lifes.

This is a GOOD cause, and I believe that almost each and every one of us knows (at least) 1 person who got 1 of these retched diseases.

I hate to think that all this effort was just for the chance of winning a new GPU.

For all of you that keeps on Folding@Home - I solute you 👍

2 hours ago, itlznr said:

Hi

I'm new to Folding@Home, I try to do my share as my rig is quite old (I5-2400, GTX1050). But I also like to keep up with the team's score.

On November  we were crunching BIG WU's numbers (500% more than Oct.) and came up the ranks 7 places (10 to 3).

But now, when the giveaway is over, we dropped 1 place, and if we extrapolate the current score, we are gonna have 25% less credits and 100,000 less WU's this month in comparison to November.

All these numbers are not just numbers, not just an honor game between group to show who has the bigger... - Those numbers represent how much closer we are to find solutions to save millions of lifes.

This is a GOOD cause, and I believe that almost each and every one of us knows (at least) 1 person who got 1 of these retched diseases.

I hate to think that all this effort was just for the chance of winning a new GPU.

For all of you that keeps on Folding@Home - I solute you 👍

My PCs are still running.