Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakkuh_t

Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

wkdpaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

Message added by wkdpaul

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

11 minutes ago, Mightymike2001 said:

Hey, the MSI gaming laptop my wife bought 2 years ago to do MS Office and Google Docs is finally getting a work out. I also pulled my kids ancient laptops out of storage and along with my wife's old laptop, my laptop and old AMD X6 1065T Desktop (w/ GTX 1060) to do a little folding. Prob wont leave them all going long term but will definitely leave a few of them going on low from here on out. Planning on building a gaming rig (Ryzen 3 w/ RTX 2080 maybe) next year and if it happens will let it in on the action too.

To have made 6 million points off of laptops is impressive! I can see you're doing about 2.5-3m points per week which is really good. Keep it up :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Entered. Since i got this RX570 for bargain, feels good to put it to good use. Funny thing, one of the fans bearing failed so i replaced it with a 120mm fan hahaha. Hot-glued it in place and works cooler than before, even quieter... Especially good for power circuitry on gpu board, which need cooling too but don't have a temp senor on them.

LDpPMHS.jpg?1

3GoKYEc.jpg

Just upgraded the old Unraid Server from P55 with a Xeon X3470 + 16GB up to a nice and much beefier X370 with a 1700x + 16GB.  Currently running a GTX 1060 3GB in a VM on folding duty.

On the plus side, I have a spare mATX system for a HTPC now.

IMG_20181127_175143.thumb.jpg.0b8cbcf2200166419890f5ba76d80594.jpg

IMG_20181127_184441.thumb.jpg.778856e468801b8347814962ccba3cbb.jpg

Desktop (only R9 280x 🙄), work laptop (shhh.. don't tell them) and personal laptop. I had another old laptop as well but it was only managing 5k PPD, so I stopped using it after 2 WU. Only started after the WAN show promoted the event, so about 2 weeks ago and managed 3 million points so far.

IMG_20181126_123312.jpg

On 11/2/2018 at 9:19 PM, jakkuh_t said:

To help promote the project we're going to give away a couple awesome prizes! 😎

#1 - NVIDIA GTX 1080

• For this GPU, we will be picking someone randomly in the top 100 lifetime folders on the LinusTechTips team. This one will cater a bit to the long time folders.

#2 - Two NVIDIA GTX 1070's

• For each of these GPUs, we will put up an entry form on November 23rd, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select 2 random winners from these submissions. Entries will close on November 30th, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST.
  • ENTER HERE: https://lmg.gg/folding-entry

Contest Info:

Reveal hidden contents

- Winners will be chosen on December 1st, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- The contest is International

Excited as hell for the giveaway

I do projects with BOINC but I'm game for this.  

Just hit 6.7 million!   Sitting at Team Rank 950.  Been folding since the beginning of the contest with my shop computer (right) with a Phenom II B60 and ASUS Radeon 270X then a week later added my old gaming box with an FX-9370 and XFX RX580 GTS OC

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/DeFrisselle

deFrisselle-LTT-Nov-Folding-RX580-R9270X.png

I saw this contest mentioned on The WAN Show a few weeks ago and started crunching back then.  The rig normally does 24/7 BOINC/World Community Grid, but I switched to Folding@home and joined the Linus Tech Tips team for the win.  Just now created a LTT forum account, but long time viewer and subscriber.  I need a graphics card!  Haven't gamed in years and have a HYUGE backlog of games.

CZMtncf.jpg

I've been waiting for Intel's 10nm CPUs for YEARS in order to build a beefy, low-power workstation/rig, but Intel keeps postponing the release.  In 2018, I bought a "temporary" PC from Dell, a Dell XPS 8930 with Intel i3-8100 (Coffee Lake) with 4 cores/4 threads @ 3.60 GHz base clock, no Hyper-Threading, and no Turbo Boost.  With 65W TDP.  8 GB stick of DDR4 @ 2666 MHz (capped to 2400 MHz because of i3), and Intel Integrated graphics.  There's a nice untouched PCIe 3.0 x16 slot there just waiting for a graphics card.  :)

I intend to sell this box in 2019 (hence keeping the plastic on the front of the case intact) and either build with Intel's 10nm i7 or i9 (Ice Lake?  Tiger Lake?  Whatever, Intel...) or give AMD my monies and get a nice Threadripper based on 2019's Zen 2 architecture if Intel doesn't deliver.

Whatever graphics card goes into this temporary Dell will be transferred to the custom built rig.  Here's hoping I win the 1070!  Should be able to catch up on all the games that have been released since ~2002 when I last "gamed" with Return to Castle Wolfenstein (great game, btw).

On 11/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, jakkuh_t said:

Downloading Folding @ Home: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

I just registered for the contest. but i realise my forum handle is not the same as my folding@home nickname, does this affect me in any way?

Here is my main folding rig, during past month

https://imgur.com/a/rUmnaFZ

2XPs9LY.jpg

1 hour ago, spellfire said:

this came at the perfect time been so full of flu not been up to gaming so had folding going for about all of the last month as not needed my performance for much

and had a nice space heater running while sick too 🙂

5 minutes ago, Struck said:

I just registered for the contest. but i realise my forum handle is not the same as my folding@home nickname, does this affect me in any way?

The Folding Month Competition is separate from the give-always so you are good for that.

As for the Folding Month we have many people who had existing folding names different from their Forum names so as long as you registered before the cut-off on the 6th and checked that your on the updates you should be good there as well.

12 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

The Folding Month Competition is separate from the give-always so you are good for that.

As for the Folding Month we have many people who had existing folding names different from their Forum names so as long as you registered before the cut-off on the 6th and checked that your on the updates you should be good there as well.

The register deadline is today, not the 6th, as i see it. So maybe we are talking about different events?

6 minutes ago, Struck said:

The register deadline is today, not the 6th, as i see it. So maybe we are talking about different events?

There was a separate event not associated with this one that had a deadline for the 6th of November for entries. It closed several weeks ago.

For this competition being held in this thread, just fill out the form here to enter this current competition for the giveaway https://lmg.gg/folding-entry

To help promote the project we're going to give away a couple awesome prizes! 😎

#1 - NVIDIA GTX 1080

• For this GPU, we will be picking someone randomly in the top 100 lifetime folders on the LinusTechTips team. This one will cater a bit to the long time folders.

#2 - Two NVIDIA GTX 1070's

• For each of these GPUs, we will put up an entry form on November 23rd, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select 2 random winners from these submissions. Entries will close on November 30th, 2018 at 11:00 AM PST.

- Winners will be chosen on December 1st, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- The contest is International

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Looks like I'll finish on 3.6 million for the 2 and a bit weeks I was actually active. Not too shabby. I won't be going 24/7 as I have been going forward (I want to be able to game again) but I will for sure keep going almost at this level :)

After folding for almost the full month constantly on both my desktop and server (8086k@5GHZ+GTX1050 and 2600k@4.43GHz+GT610) I'm ending with only about 4.1 million points. I guess not having a real video card does hold you back in folding as well as gaming... It definitely holds me back in some of my graphics work...

3 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

The winner (via random number generator) of the GTX 1080 Prize is team member #14 @Ben Quigley

:D Congrats man!

(side note: GTX 1070 winners will be chosen on Monday, the 3rd)

WOOO!!!!!!!!

I can't F**king believe it.

Thank you so much Jake and all of LMG!

The Brewery - My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
  • GPU
    RX VEGA 64, GTX 980 ti, GTX 980, GTX 970
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA 850 GQ x2
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Old Dell 17"(portrait)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED
12 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

The winner (via random number generator) of the GTX 1080 Prize is team member #14 @Ben Quigley

:D Congrats man!

(side note: GTX 1070 winners will be chosen on Monday, the 3rd)

I shall make her fold 24/7! 

Oh a folding we shall go!

The Brewery - My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
  • GPU
    RX VEGA 64, GTX 980 ti, GTX 980, GTX 970
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA 850 GQ x2
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Old Dell 17"(portrait)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED