Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

12 hours ago, cluelessart said:

Happily folding and this morning I also started to do so on my laptop.

But for some reason, even when set to "Full" the CPU load according to Task Manager is only between 30% and 50% on my Thinkpad. It also only heats up to around 55°C. Any idea why this might be?

In my install with CPU folding (all I can do), I found that I needed to make multiple "clients" with fewer threads available for each one to keep my processor busy, as the work units didn't seem to generally want to use all the threads available in a given "client".  The other plus side for this is that when I need the server to be more responsive, I can pause only 1 or 2 of the clients, rather than the entire folding mechanism, unless I really need to crunch for a while on all cores with other work.

I brought up my space heater from downstairs a few days ago, but just realized that my PC doing folding is a really nice substitute. I used to do this when I was in university, and it's something nice that I'd forgotten about for so long.

9 hours ago, porina said:

I don't CPU fold but see it in the short time it is on a new install before I delete it. If you go into the advance options think you'll find it defaults to not use all the available cores/threads.

6 hours ago, justpoet said:

In my install with CPU folding (all I can do), I found that I needed to make multiple "clients" with fewer threads available for each one to keep my processor busy, as the work units didn't seem to generally want to use all the threads available in a given "client".  The other plus side for this is that when I need the server to be more responsive, I can pause only 1 or 2 of the clients, rather than the entire folding mechanism, unless I really need to crunch for a while on all cores with other work.

Over the course for a day the laptop is now using all threads at 100% and it also boosts up from 2.6 to 3.1GHz :D so apparently it was only a matter of it finding the right load i imagine. thank you very much for the replies tho. P.S.: In the case on my Laptop I can only use CPU, because it won't run on Intel Graphics!

Laptop: Lenovo T430
- Intel Core i5 3320M @ 2.60GHz - HD4000 Graphics - 12GB DDR3 RAM Dual Channel - SanDisk SSD 128GB - Pop!_OS -

Desktop: self-built
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 - Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX II - RAM: 32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3200- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660Ti Windforce OC 6GB
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow - Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus & Crucial MX300 - PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 - Displays: Iiyama ProLite X2783HSU & EIZO FlexScan1921
Cooling: AMD Wraith Spire - Keyboard: Keychron K3 Pro - Mouse: Logitech MX Ergo & Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless - Sound: Steelseries Arctis 7 - OS: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS (6.2.6)

Wife's Desktop: self-built

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz - Motherboard: MSI Mortar B350M - RAM: 32GB DDR4 G.skill Ripjaws V @ 2866MHz - GPU: Sapphire RX 5700XT

CaseCorsair 275R Airflow - Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus & 870 EVO - PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-750 - Displays: Massdrop VAST & EIZO FlexScan1921

Cooling: DeepCool Captain EX with Corsair Light Loops - Keyboard: Keychron K8 Pro - Mouse: Keychron M1 Wireless - Sound: Steelseries Arctis 7 - OS: Linux Mint 20.3 (6.2.4)

Just broke 100 WUs, and coincidentally 3,000,000 points. \o/

This is the most satisfying idle-game ever.

WUs.png

Id would post my score but my PC died last night. My. only. PC. Um. XD

Good luck to those still going for gold. 

54 minutes ago, Churchles said:

Id would post my score but my PC died last night. My. only. PC. Um. XD

Good luck to those still going for gold. 

Good news. After a hour of trying to sleep and my own stubborness I came back to it and tested it again. I got my PC back. So... yeah! But I think ill give her a break for a day.

Quick question, are LMG/LTT staff (meaning people like @jakkuh_t and forum moderators) eligible to win the prizes as well?

46 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Quick question, are LMG/LTT staff (meaning people like @jakkuh_t and forum moderators) eligible to win the prizes as well?

bahaha no.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

1 minute ago, jakkuh_t said:

bahaha no.

I figured that would be the case, so how are you guys going to do the GTX 1080 giveaway since it's only eligible for people in the top 100 lifetime folders for LTT since there are several of those spots who are in the previously mentioned group? Are you just going to subtract those people from the top 100 so it's really only the top like 93 or are you going to subtract those people and then include the people who are rank 101-110?

19 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

bahaha no.

Translation: bahaha I have no need for that peasant card.

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

I figured that would be the case, so how are you guys going to do the GTX 1080 giveaway since it's only eligible for people in the top 100 lifetime folders for LTT since there are several of those spots who are in the previously mentioned group? Are you just going to subtract those people from the top 100 so it's really only the top like 93 or are you going to subtract those people and then include the people who are rank 101-110?

OHHH. Forum mods/staff are eligible to win yeah (assuming thats what you're referring to). Linus Media Group staff are not.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Strangely I have a peculiar situation going on here: I started folding on 1st November and wasn't in a team. I was only folding on my backup computer (The computer that handles my backup jobs 24/7.) to begin with. It's a light workstation that I built a while back; with a 2-core Intel Celeron Sky Lake chip, 8 gigs RAM, an old graphics card... yada yada.

When I Installed the F@H client on it, the folding power was set to medium by default, and it used about 55% of the CPU resources. I switched it to light and it hardly did much at all, I tried switching it to full; and it used pretty much all of the CPU resources... So I switched it back to medium and that client has been folding 24/7 ever since.

I subscribe to LTT, so eventually I joined the LTT team. Since I also built a decent computer with a 6-core AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU and an AMD Radeon RX580 8GB graphics card on an ASUS Prime X470-PRO motherboard with 16GB RAM I thought it might be good to use that computer for folding, at least part-time, also.

I uploaded the client and got a passkey. The client again started off set to medium... But my CPU was running at 65% and my GPU went up to 95% and was using 116 Watts. The machine heated the small studio that I run it in, which saved me from having to use the proper heater. I dropped the folding power to light; with the result that the graphics card was hardly used, and the CPU usage went down to around 43%.

I don't know why it took me so long to try the following out; but today I thought 'I wonder what happens if I switch it to full?' (Computer; prepare to be tortured!)

I switched it to full: The CPU was running at 65% and my GPU went up to 95% and was using 116 Watts.- Exactly the same as it had on medium. I switched to medium: No difference. I switched to light; and the CPU usage dropped to around 43% while the graphics card dropped to using about 7 watts.

I can't understand why the same client behaves differently on different machines: Light, medium, and full, on a weak Intel CPU-powered machine, yet light, full, and full, on a pretty meaty AMD-powered machine? I'm baffled.

ScreenHunter_05 Nov. 19 21.36.jpg

Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. - But if you do; don't get caught!

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I folded for you guys' team... I saw this and fired up the ol gaming rig, with 2x 680's and and 6 cores 12 threads at 4.5 ghz chugging away now!  On a side note this thread kinda pushed me back into looking at specs for computers again, I was amazed to find that CPU's have really, not come very far since that computer was built in 2012...Like that overclocked 3930k is not that far off a lot of the CPU's on the market today.... Graphics cards however look to have come a long long ways! I'm hear'ing 2080Ti's are making like 2million ppd?? Wow! By contrast, old 680's are only good for about 140K ppd each.

10 hours ago, Sharron-Idol said:

Strangely I have a peculiar situation going on here: I started folding on 1st November and wasn't in a team. I was only folding on my backup computer (The computer that handles my backup jobs 24/7.) to begin with. It's a light workstation that I built a while back; with a 2-core Intel Celeron Sky Lake chip, 8 gigs RAM, an old graphics card... yada yada.

When I Installed the F@H client on it, the folding power was set to medium by default, and it used about 55% of the CPU resources. I switched it to light and it hardly did much at all, I tried switching it to full; and it used pretty much all of the CPU resources... So I switched it back to medium and that client has been folding 24/7 ever since.

I subscribe to LTT, so eventually I joined the LTT team. Since I also built a decent computer with a 6-core AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU and an AMD Radeon RX580 8GB graphics card on an ASUS Prime X470-PRO motherboard with 16GB RAM I thought it might be good to use that computer for folding, at least part-time, also.

I uploaded the client and got a passkey. The client again started off set to medium... But my CPU was running at 65% and my GPU went up to 95% and was using 116 Watts. The machine heated the small studio that I run it in, which saved me from having to use the proper heater. I dropped the folding power to light; with the result that the graphics card was hardly used, and the CPU usage went down to around 43%.

I don't know why it took me so long to try the following out; but today I thought 'I wonder what happens if I switch it to full?' (Computer; prepare to be tortured!)

I switched it to full: The CPU was running at 65% and my GPU went up to 95% and was using 116 Watts.- Exactly the same as it had on medium. I switched to medium: No difference. I switched to light; and the CPU usage dropped to around 43% while the graphics card dropped to using about 7 watts.

I can't understand why the same client behaves differently on different machines: Light, medium, and full, on a weak Intel CPU-powered machine, yet light, full, and full, on a pretty meaty AMD-powered machine? I'm baffled.

As far as I can tell it just takes (sometimes quite) a while to actually switch between loads. Same happened with my laptop - about a day into setting to full load it actually used the resources made available to it.

Laptop: Lenovo T430
- Intel Core i5 3320M @ 2.60GHz - HD4000 Graphics - 12GB DDR3 RAM Dual Channel - SanDisk SSD 128GB - Pop!_OS -

Desktop: self-built
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 - Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX II - RAM: 32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3200- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660Ti Windforce OC 6GB
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow - Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus & Crucial MX300 - PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 - Displays: Iiyama ProLite X2783HSU & EIZO FlexScan1921
Cooling: AMD Wraith Spire - Keyboard: Keychron K3 Pro - Mouse: Logitech MX Ergo & Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless - Sound: Steelseries Arctis 7 - OS: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS (6.2.6)

Wife's Desktop: self-built

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz - Motherboard: MSI Mortar B350M - RAM: 32GB DDR4 G.skill Ripjaws V @ 2866MHz - GPU: Sapphire RX 5700XT

CaseCorsair 275R Airflow - Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus & 870 EVO - PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-750 - Displays: Massdrop VAST & EIZO FlexScan1921

Cooling: DeepCool Captain EX with Corsair Light Loops - Keyboard: Keychron K8 Pro - Mouse: Keychron M1 Wireless - Sound: Steelseries Arctis 7 - OS: Linux Mint 20.3 (6.2.4)

Folding on my old Lenovo P50 laptop with a Xeon CPU and a Quadro card. But i can only put it on "light" workload since it already hits 75 degree Celsius. So i won't be hitting the top 100 anytime soon!

BTW does anybody know why I can't see my personal donor stats on the FAH page?

18 minutes ago, Unnenoob said:

Folding on my old Lenovo P50 laptop with a Xeon CPU and a Quadro card. But i can only put it on "light" workload since it already hits 75 degree Celsius. So i won't be hitting the top 100 anytime soon!

BTW does anybody know why I can't see my personal donor stats on the FAH page?

This usually takes until a unit or two have been uploaded as finished.  Then you'll show up.  Make sure you're using your personal passkey so it knows to associate the work to you and not anonymous.

I know this is probably a dumb repeated question but is there an end to this folding?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

49 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I know this is probably a dumb repeated question but is there an end to this folding?

Yes. - You choose when to end your involvement with folding@home. - Otherwise i believe there is no scheduled conclusion to the project

Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. - But if you do; don't get caught!

4 hours ago, justpoet said:

This usually takes until a unit or two have been uploaded as finished.  Then you'll show up.  Make sure you're using your personal passkey so it knows to associate the work to you and not anonymous.

Thanks. Might just have to wait a bit more, since i am using my personal passkey. But i did also chance my FAH name to match the LTT forum name for this competision. Normally it had just been running as an anonymous account.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:43 PM, ethawesomee said:

Done. This is gonna run 24/7! FUCK CANCER!!!!

FUCK CANCER! FUCK ALS!! FUCK YOU TOO ALSO PARKINSON'S!!!! ESPECIALLY YOU PARKINSON'S!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, altairfoo said:

normal progress update...image.thumb.png.802a5b0e942f0aa0b2b81322a284b86e.png

Dang.  I have half your work units, but only a half million points.  :(

I heard that LTT was folding from the last weekly show and decided I should join in! I had already brought out the room heater for the winter and thought, "I do have another heater that can fight disease and heats the room, better choose the one that might save a life." 

Linus techtips folding.PNG