Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

So much for me just causally trying to break the top 100 with so many people pulling in 1M + every day like @jakkuh_t ?

On 11/10/2018 at 12:37 PM, sazrocks said:

Client is mandatory (it actually does the folding)

Control is essentially advanced control, and requires an X session AFAIK (I just did mine on a VNC XSession). (Not mandatory, but will be necessary unless you plan on remotely controlling the client)

Viewer is just the cool-looking visualizer of the folding process (I skipped on it)

Thanks for helping many of the people here. I have the FAH client installed in a Linux Mint VM on unraid. I tried getting the GPU to work all day but couldn't get it recognized by the client, at least the web viewer didn't show the GPU. It is a 970 that I have assigned to the Mint VM. The hardware settings shows the 970 and got the latest 410 drivers installed. But still nothing on the FAH.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Long time member, erm or watcher of LTT. First time Folder Good luck god speed... 

44 minutes ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

Thanks for helping many of the people here. I have the FAH client installed in a Linux Mint VM on unraid. I tried getting the GPU to work all day but couldn't get it recognized by the client, at least the web viewer didn't show the GPU. It is a 970 that I have assigned to the Mint VM. The hardware settings shows the 970 and got the latest 410 drivers installed. But still nothing on the FAH.

You may have to manually create the slot under Configure>Slots on the non-web client. I had to do this.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

New member here. This folding stuff has actually been on my mind for a couple of weeks now; I haven't done it in years since there was a competition on Reddit. As soon as I became aware of this event here, I jumped on. CPU and GPU both running full speed as I type.

Hey, I can't see my statistics on the website. It's been three days since I started. 

Will it show after I complete my folding round? 

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-11-12_12-12-20.png

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-11-12_12-15-02.png

Hey, I can't see my statistics on the website. It's been three days since I started. 

Will it show after I complete my folding round? 

Edit: Okay, this is reposted. Can I delete it? How to delete this??

Once there's a work unit completed and uploaded, then the stats should show.  They don't show up until then.  Points count, but not until the unit is done.  So, based on your screen shot, should be about 22 hours and then you should have your own stats page.

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

Once there's a work unit completed and uploaded, then the stats should show.  They don't show up until then.  Points count, but not until the unit is done.  So, based on your screen shot, should be about 22 hours and then you should have your own stats page. 

I'm wondering if his 920M will be quicker to do a complete Work Unit. :D

Just set this up on my work rig (i7 7700, 32GB Ram, Evo 060 Pro, GTX 1080).

What sort of impact does this have on:

a) power bill

b) hardware life expectancy

Also, is there any way to schedule it to be less aggressive during certain hours? (it's the noise more than anything - my fans are getting a little... excited).

Edit: Just wondering, anyone know if there is a F@H package for Intel based Synology NAS? I know the little Atom CPU in those things isn't exactly going to change the world on its own, but it'll plod away 24/7 happily enough, haha.

44 minutes ago, CapriciousSage said:

Edit: Just wondering, anyone know if there is a F@H package for Intel based Synology NAS? I know the little Atom CPU in those things isn't exactly going to change the world on its own, but it'll plod away 24/7 happily enough, haha.

I've never used Synology but isn't there a VM manager on it ? You could use that to create a Linux VM which does the folding. It doesn't require much space or RAM, just enough to install a bare-minimum Debian or something.

btw, where I'm supposed to send my stats every week ?

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 631 3.3GHz OC 1,450V core, stock cooler
GPU: Palit GTS 450 Core Voltage: 1037mV, Core Clock 860MHz, Memory Clock 1870MHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB x1 
Motherboard: AsRock a75m-hvs 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1070
RAM: G SKill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x370-F Gaming
Monitor: Aorus AD27QD

15 hours ago, sazrocks said:

You may have to manually create the slot under Configure>Slots on the non-web client. I had to do this.

I ran into an issue with that. Couldn't install the regular control package. Only got the client installed. The control kept giving error about not having python-gnome and other stuff not installed. But I couldn't find it to install it.

3 hours ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

I ran into an issue with that. Couldn't install the regular control package. Only got the client installed. The control kept giving error about not having python-gnome and other stuff not installed. But I couldn't find it to install it.

That’s because control needs an x-session, as it is a GUI. You can just use another computer running advanced control to remotely manage it.

EDIT: To do this you will need to allow remote access. Edit /etc/fahclient/config.xml with sudo privileges and before </config> put

<allow>127.0.0.1 FOLDING_MACHINE_IP</allow>

To remote access use the advanced client on another machine, hit the “Add” button in the lower left corner, and enter in the information for the folding machine (leave port as is).

Edit 2: Oh and dont copy-paste commands from the forum unless they are in code tags (on mobile rn so I can’t put that command in code tags), really weird problems can happen that you don’t want to deal with. Write them out.

Edit 3: I just realized your issue probably isn’t directly related to having/not having an x session, but it will probably be easier to just control the system remotely.

Edit 4: Added code tags

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

One big question on this is what kind of download amount would you have at end of the month for those not on unlimited packages 

That will vary, but it won't be a ton.  You can check out the work cache once you start to get some idea.  Looking at the dat files and logs, each work unit could end up less than a meg of transfer, up to a couple megs of transfer.  You're basically downloading an algorithm to work on a math problem each time, so you need the compute power to figure it out, not like a video file that needs tons of time to process mainly because of data throughput size.

14 hours ago, CapriciousSage said:

Just set this up on my work rig (i7 7700, 32GB Ram, Evo 060 Pro, GTX 1080).

What sort of impact does this have on:

a) power bill

b) hardware life expectancy

Also, is there any way to schedule it to be less aggressive during certain hours? (it's the noise more than anything - my fans are getting a little... excited).

I did about 800WU and 10,000,000 points worth on my gtx 970 and about 2 years general usage have noticed I cant boost as much after that, but that PROBABLY IS DUE TO TIME and other factors such as driver updates. So just fold for a day see how many points you get. Should be able to get 50 days 24/7 before ANY noticeable difference. HEAT is the primary factor in degrading graphics cards so those fans are doing a good job.

You can adjust the folding power in the advanced control area down so that your parts don't work 100% too.

Folding@home says 36 cents a day for a computer so bump it up to 50 cents for a beefy computer.

9 hours ago, sazrocks said:

That’s because control needs an x-session, as it is a GUI. You can just use another computer running advanced control to remotely manage it.

EDIT: To do this you will need to allow remote access. Edit /etc/fahclient/config.xml with sudo privileges and before </config> put

<allow>127.0.0.1 FOLDING_MACHINE_IP</allow>

To remote access use the advanced client on another machine, hit the “Add” button in the lower left corner, and enter in the information for the folding machine (leave port as is).

Edit 2: Oh and dont copy-paste commands from the forum unless they are in code tags (on mobile rn so I can’t put that command in code tags), really weird problems can happen that you don’t want to deal with. Write them out.

Edit 3: I just realized your issue probably isn’t directly related to having/not having an x session, but it will probably be easier to just control the system remotely.

Edit 4: Added code tags

I tried

<allow>127.0.0.1 192.168.X.XXX</allow>

But still not recognized. I thought getting GPU to work in unraid VM had gotten easier. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

OK so I spent the time I needed getting folding setup on my pc than forgot to post it in here! So if I have this right here is a copy of my stats page

dda5bd6088588ecde62097411253a3d2.png
I'm running a AMD Rizen 1700, 16 gig's of Ripsaw 2400, Sapphire Nitro Limited Addition 580 8gig ram. all on an MSI Gamer Mob.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:51 PM, Spotty said:

How many PPD are you earning? That GTX 1070 in your desktop will earn you a few points if you get that going.

HP G5056EA is between 3000 and 4000 points a day.

Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E is between 8000 and 9000 points a day

Desktop with i7-6700k and GTX 1070 is coming in at a combined 75000 points a day

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/justpoet

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&amp;u=813762

That's mine.  CPU only, several "clients" as I split them up with 2 and 3 cores per client since most of the time, when I had it as a single unit with all cores, it didn't use more than 2 or 3 total.  No graphics cards available that will work with it.