Help Scientists Cure Cancer with your PC! - Folding @ Home

jakkuh_t
Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

Thank you guys for doing this. If anyone is interested in the F@H community here. We have a thread dedicated to folders and also post when we are running events like we are now.

Here is the thread for our current Folding Month 2018 event:

Here is the community board:

And thank you to @jakkuh_t and the rest of the LMG team for bringing awareness to this!

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Aggressive, condescending and patronizing tone won't be tolerated.

5 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

can someone show me a short video of what your pc looks like while folding? (on the screen) is it something i can sit and watch or does it just run in the background? 

You can choose. There are several clients, first the one in browser (go to http://client.foldingathome.org/) :

Spoiler

FAH-Web.png.0bcd8bbb412662af1104dfabc54907ec.png

(the "loading..." fields usually tell you about the research you are helping, no idea why they aren't working for me right now.)

There is the Advanced control client:

Spoiler

FAH-Advanced.png.9bdadfd19deadea9fbaa7f862378b9cb.png

And then there is the Viewer, which lets you actually see the proteins that you are folding:

Spoiler

FAH-View.png.1ee27f6d722d503acda144a8445b2d66.png

Or, of course you can just not have any of these open and have it all run in the background (I usually do this).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

And then there is the Viewer, which lets you actually see the proteins that you are folding:

that looks cool.. when i build my pc i wann see that lol looks cool and i am helping ? 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Might as well throw the game rig at it too, when I'm not playing.

image.thumb.png.45523b5f35f2b1966be7a1905982d375.png

21 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

What team number did you enter and what is your username?

same username as on this forum, and i entered the ltt team number.

1 minute ago, retibra said:

same username as on this forum, and i entered the ltt team number.

Thats odd, can you post a picture of your client configuration?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Thats odd, can you post a picture of your client configuration?

thx for the help, but that makes me think i messed something up, cpu utilisation makes me think i am folding, but imma try to reconfig and post back.

/edit:

can i expect to find my username automatically on https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518 if my setup is correct?

i joined the forum and the folding today after seeing about this on the last WAN show (09.11.18). no fancy work/gaming rig - but prodly rocking that cpu/mobo/ram since Dez. 2013 with only SSD and gpu upgrades - tremendous value for the buck! (also dust cleaning and hiding cables for pictures is for posers ? .. or less lazy people)

image.png.0d771590f74844871ea6ba625c9f4b38.pngimage.png.cb665bb9650eed3cb3cd5fa1e2d1e78e.pngimage.png.2bef90cdc22a6414296d12c323f42a4c.pngimage.png.40d51dcdf5a302cc4597507da98a1fdc.pngimage.png.e924dc3d2523214e7c8a9973ccdaae9f.pngimage.png.260ff3947f11e244a2d33600cb7a78e3.png

I heard about folding a while back but never had a desktop that could contribute. I recently built a workstation (with the help of some How-To's on Linus' channel) and then the WAN show reminded me about folding, so I signed up! My dad passed away three years ago from Pancreatic Cancer, so I set my folding to contribute to Cancer research specifically. I'm pumped to use my new rig for this.

Ryzen 7 2700X

Power Color Golden Master Red Devil RX580

MOBO ASRock X470 Taichi

16 GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4-3200

2 hours ago, retibra said:

thx for the help, but that makes me think i messed something up, cpu utilisation makes me think i am folding, but imma try to reconfig and post back.

/edit:

can i expect to find my username automatically on https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518 if my setup is correct?

Not necessarily, that list is only a certain number of top producers for the team. Use the individual donor stats to find your score.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Installed on my gaming rig for now. Having some difficulties installing on unraid VM.

image.png.e9bf6b331d3f9ce8d753ff65889eced0.png

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

started today with my movie/webbrowse pc :

Capture.thumb.JPG.2bebd92a4b3f6d0ea41984144072561a.JPG

He is doing his best...

DSC_1989.thumb.JPG.fab4af8e1672f6c0ed7536e007c622bd.JPG

On 11/3/2018 at 1:19 AM, jakkuh_t said:

Hey everyone! ?

I'm here to talk to y'all about Cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's. They're are all terrible diseases that have had an affect on nearly everyone in one way or another, and we want to help. Researching these conditions in an attempt to cure them is an incredibly expensive endeavor, but for many people, donating to fund these causes isn't an option. Thankfully, there is still something we all can do: Folding @ Home

With your gaming PC, laptop, server, or really any computer, you can donate processing power from your CPU or GPU when you're not using them to help run calculations on a vast number of distributed computation projects. This massive shared computational power can help researchers learn more about these diseases in an effort to better treat them, and it can make a HUGE difference in the fight to conquer them. To achieve this huge collaborative effort, Stanford University started developing the Folding @ Home project, all the way back in the year 2000. It's a simple software you can run on your PC that automagically uses your processing power when idling (or full time if you desire) for the previously mentioned calculations. 

In exchange for your valiant processing effort, you can earn points that show off your contribution to find the cures, in the form of a friendly competition. The LinusTechTips community & forum has had a folding team, number 223518, since 2013 and we'd love for you all to join it!

You can fold with pretty much anything, your dad's old dell prebuilt, a top tier RTX rig, or presumably even a Raspi. Every little bit helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help promote the project we're going to give away a couple awesome prizes! ?

#1 - NVIDIA GTX 1080

• For this GPU, we will be picking someone randomly in the top 100 lifetime folders on the LinusTechTips team. This one will cater a bit to the long time folders.

#2 - Two NVIDIA GTX 1070's

• For each of these GPUs, we will put up an entry form a week before the end of the month, where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select 2 random winners from these submissions.

Contest Info:

Hide contents

- Winners will be chosen on December 1st, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- The contest is International

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal for the Folding @ Home project this year is to have 1 million concurrent folders, so get on there and start folding! :D

Downloading Folding @ Home: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

More Information: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips_team-223518/

Monthly Leaderboard: https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams-monthly

LinusTechTips Folding Team: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518

Also, if you want to sign up for the official LTT Folding month competition, entries close on November 6th, 2018 (this is seperate from the GPU giveaway/contest)

Be sure to post photos of your folding rigs, your progress, and any questions below! :D  (We've got a rig running with two 1080s, a 1080 Ti, and a Titan X pascal) 

Uhh where will the entry form be? just another post like this one?

Every bit helps. Probably doesn't mean I should be running my 6850k at 4.6 Ghz and 80C continuously under load, but I digress (and will be downclocking it to around 4.3 for this)... ?IMG_5990.thumb.JPG.e3a7bb06f88b36a363e7ff8fe4bda7eb.JPG

CPU: Intel i9 9900K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro
MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000 Mhz
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
HDD: WD Black 6TB
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB
PSU: Corsair AX860i

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma Stealth

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

I'm going to try to fold with my current rig. I have a nice FX-8350 cpu, and a GTX 1060 3GB gpu. Sadly, i have a stock cooler on my CPU and it over heats a lot... I might also be maxing out my 550w psu but not 100% sure, but under heavy load my cpu fan spins up to sound like a jet engine and it shuts down. So i'll only be folding with my GPU for the moment. Wish i could help out more.

Edit: Although my CPU does get hot, im setting "Kernel-Power" popping up in event viewer right before it shuts off. I sadly won't be able to fold on my good computer, but i have a backup

Guys help please, I have an R9 380 and it shows up as R9 200 series in F@H Control... and runs at 0% when power settings are full and it goes to screensaver (screenshot taken immediately after screen turned back on after having dinner)image.thumb.png.083283a50933ba44d1844955eba07c33.png

1 minute ago, Twigglett said:

No Idea why the FAH app doesn't use my 2nd GPU, any Ideas?

Open the FAHControl and go to Configure and go to the Slots tab. If it's not already set with slots for each GPU, create a new slot and assign it to the 2nd GPU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Open the FAHControl and go to Configure and go to the Slots tab. If it's not already set with slots for each GPU, create a new slot and assign it to the 2nd GPU.

It's seeing the 2nd card and has something working off it, might delete then add it back in.image.thumb.png.9b64649427dbd635c2cd71f037c97e7b.png

3 minutes ago, Twigglett said:

It's seeing the 2nd card and has something working off it, might delete then add it back in.

Looks as if it is working normally there.

By default Task Manager won't show you the compute usage for the GPU. You need to change one of the graphs to show Compute_0 to see its usage properly. Compute usage should be somewhere between 90-95%.

image.png.ab7cb8e05aefe217290c9095bc2ff1a0.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I've been folding for a bit, but it's not under my forum name, am I still eligible for the random drawing

Space is pretty awesome.

This giveaway was a great idea and I am happy that it got my attention! Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that has hurt my family greatly, so I am more than happy to help others avoid the same.

Hi everyone, I just started folding.
My PC is folding now on CPU and GPU, it gets really loud when folding on CPU.

I let it finish on the CPU and then fold only on my GPU. It's quiet and while I'm coding my website, my PC is doing nothing.

I'm coding since many years and it's cool to make a use of my PC while I'm coding. I want to upgrade my PC and sell my GTX1060, now because of this, i can keep the GTX1060 and let it fold :D I'm already donating to Unicef Germany. Now i have the perfect excuse for myself to buy a custom watercooling ?

i7 7700k + GTX 1060, not getting that many points tho :(

DSC07139.JPG

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/G1K777

AMD FX8320 | GTX660 | 4x4GB DDR3 | LG ZR2740W

Logitech Wireless Pro  | Logitech G413 | Nuforce uDAC5  | AKG K612