Question

Nordic

So, my pc needs a 550w psu according to psu calculators, but i was wondering how high w do i need to make the fan not spin on it? 

Very descriptive title, you've got there. 

If the "PSU calculator" says it'll consume 550W, it'll usually consume about half of that. 

How much power you need to draw in order for the fan to spin, depends on the temperature and the PSU. Either way, if your goal is to get a quiet PSU, the best option is usually to get one that has a good fan that spins slowly. 

:)

It would be helpful to know what specs you have but, I'd say a 650 would probably be enough.

I've got a nice deal for my RM850x when I built my PC and, the fan haven't spun up so far no matter how hard I pushed my system.

Though 850w is a giant overkill.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

That can vary between different PSU brands and models. If you are looking for a silent or near silent PSU i would look into PSUs that are purposely designed for quiet operation.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and found out the corsair RM-series PSUs are extremely quiet and the fan does not even spin until it reaches a certain power draw treshold, so the fan isnt spinning at all when idling or doing light tasks.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

1600W.