Screen going black after 5 seconds of logging in.

VE5LPL

As the title says my screen goes black after I log into my PC. This started happening after I swapped my i3-8350K out for a i7-8700K.

I've got a ASUS Strix Z370-H, 16 GB of random name memory and a ASUS Strix 1070 OC Edition Graphics card. This seems like a graphics card issue so I put this topic here. I was able to boot and login normally after the swap, took some control samples of my CPU, disabled MSI Afterburner launch on start as it and discord popping up ticked me off as I just wanted to do some OC-ing, I clocked my 8700k upto 4.0GHZ at 1.225v and reset to then see this issue occur. I've tried reinstalling graphics drivers (with the help of DDU), setting my CPU OC settings back to auto, and re-enable start at boot for those programs to no avail. Can someone help me?

Running Arch Linux on a Pentium from before you were born with 256MB Ram as a 2M Repeater Controller be like

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Yea!

Does this still occur when booting in safe mode?

If you are still running the same motherboard i would highly suggest restoring the BIOS to defaults, or preferably going to the manufacturers website and snatching the latest BIOS revision (especially if you bought the motherboard near its release).

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Not occuring during safe mode, let me try those and get back to you.

Running Arch Linux on a Pentium from before you were born with 256MB Ram as a 2M Repeater Controller be like

Tried resetting BIOS to defaults to no avail, tried installing the latest BIOS version to no avail.

is the screen completely black, or can you still see and move around the mouse cursor?

Edit: (...) or open task manager(CTRL+ALT+DEL) ?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Nope, sometimes like a main shade of what was on my screen (i.e my background being mainly a deep blue hence then the screen being dark blue) but otherwise completely locked out. After about 5 minutes it reboots.

Alright i have never personally encountered this issue personally, so i recommend you make sure all the power connectors are properly connected to the motherboard and graphics card, and even trying re-seating your RAM.

After making sure it most likely is software-related issue i would recommend this article going through different steps that may fix your issue: https://windowsreport.com/fix-black-screen-without-cursor/

However, the fastest and BEST way to resolve it, and make sure there are no other underlying software issues, is to do a clean install of windows 10.

You can create your own installation media with windows media creation tool available for download here: https://www.microsoft.com/nb-no/software-download/windows10

Just make sure that you take a backup of any personal files if you decide to go this route.

System

Spoiler