T̶h̶a̶n̶o̶s̶ Pizza Truck Pizza Truck - Pizza Hut's prototype truck robotically makes your pizza

rcmaehl
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

If you want pizza period, that's not where you go.

Honestly, could be said about any large pizza chain. The only pizza chain thats worth it for is Domino's and thats only because you can order a specially made pizza with only the stuff you want on it using their "Pizza configurator"

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

when it's capable of arriving sideways!

I would actually shit my pants if I saw a self driving automated car drift much the less an self driving ae86 with the manual and all

2 hours ago, asus killer said:

using a stupid American pickup truck to do this, even if hydrogen powered, it's so American and priceless. I guess it could be weirder like a 2 seat convertible, still a pickup truck with those tires to deliver pizza ?

Italian pizza delivery:

image.png.3848ce86ef3dbda7e2570ec742cd64f2.png

'murica:

image.png.479bd28ab4b09fb35ae95ba45c42c732.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This kinda reminds me of the self-checkout booths in grocery stores. As the customer, you pay the same price for worse service and you technically have to work (by scanning the items or walking to the delivery truck) to buy stuff. 

The future is just getting worse every year. 

1 hour ago, Blackie Sheen said:

Honestly, could be said about any large pizza chain. The only pizza chain thats worth it for is Domino's and thats only because you can order a specially made pizza with only the stuff you want on it using their "Pizza configurator"

Little Caesar's has pretty decent pizza for a decent price.

Quote me to see your reply

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Italian pizza delivery:

'murica:

glad someone got the joke and that it was a joke. Jesus people are too serious around where ?

4 hours ago, BuckGup said:

So basically this proves they could replace all their employees 

Over the last few years, their website has been remade several times and despite that, it continues to have poor design, poor performance, and generally doesn't work very well.  I really don't think they have the capability to do anything of the sort :P

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

I would actually shit my pants if I saw a self driving automated car drift much the less an self driving ae86 with the manual and all

Well if it was self driving, it wouldn't really be manual anymore would it? :P Regardless, one could imagine that a self-driving car could be super-humanly accurate at drifting.  I wonder if anyone has attempted it? ?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How is this Thanos related tho? It's not even purple.... 

Spoiler

Don't mind me, I'm just shitposting

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 hours ago, Blackie Sheen said:

Basically every major Pizza Chain has a pizza configurator on their online ordering system - Pizza Hut included.

Personally, I enjoy both. "Gourmet" pizza is amazing, of course, but sometimes you just want cheap, fast, greasy tasty pizza.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, BuckGup said:

So basically this proves they could replace all their employees 

Murica still going on with idea that only thing in existence is food industry where you throw together premade components which is perfectly doable with a machine. Not everything in this world is like that...

7 hours ago, asus killer said:

Whats your point? Seen many of those around Tokio?

Tokio?

Some really good pizza comes from Tokyo though.

Seriously this automation stuff is getting stupider and stupider. 

We dont have supersonic passenger planes, a manned space program in the USA, and consumer level tech quality is in the shitter. 

But we have this bs...

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i get to not speak, and i get to operate a machine o_o

Not sure if sarcastic or caught in a feedback loop.

5 hours ago, kokakolia said:

This kinda reminds me of the self-checkout booths in grocery stores. As the customer, you pay the same price for worse service and you technically have to work (by scanning the items or walking to the delivery truck) to buy stuff. 

The future is just getting worse every year. 

People are typically so ignorant that they can be conned into believing that anything new is an upgrade, even if its actually a downgrade.

Remember when shitty W-LED backlit TVs and monitors replaced WCG-CCFL and RGB LED backlit ones and people ate it up like idiots?

Or how about when peolle swapped out their incandescent lighting for fire hazard, eye damaging, sleep cycle disrupting CFL and LED bulbs that are worse for the environment? 

Same thing with all this nonadaptive, road to extinction automation and Amazon/Walmarting of the world.

People either see this kind of garbage for the scam it is or theyre part of the NPC herd with no clue touting the virtues of things they dont even comprehend.

47 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Tokio?

Tokio is a variant spelling for the city of Tokyo. It's commonly used in non-English speaking countries, but is basically never spelled that way in North America. In fact, the first time I ever saw this spelling was in this very thread - but upon looking it up, it's an accepted way to spell the city.

We dont have supersonic passenger planes

We used to. We had the Concorde (French/UK), which ran for what? 2 decades? America started 2 designs, but both were cancelled in the 70's.

We have the tech to build a supersonic passenger jet right now. That's not the reason why we don't have any. The reason is:

1. Fuel costs - apparently the Concorde used over a ton of fuel, just taxiing to the runway. Fuel was cheap in the 60's when these planes were developed, but fuel costs never truly recovered from the 70's oil shortage.

2. Noise - supersonic planes are loud as Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. There are some new designs and technology that can somewhat help with this, but you can't stop a sonic boom.

3. Airspace regulations - almost every single country has restrictions from allowing supersonic aircraft over their land due to the aforementioned sonic boom, and noise in general.

#3 is what ultimately killed the US version, since it basically meant the only viable flight routes were Atlantic Coast flights to Europe and Asia, since they couldn't fly over the continental US (And Pacific Coast flights over the Pacific Ocean weren't as popular?).

a manned space program in the USA,

Uhm... Kinda? American Astronauts are still sent to space all the time. They just piggy back off of Russian Soyuz rockets.

That's also slated to change in 2019, as both SpaceX and the ULA (United Launch Alliance, which is Boeing and Lockheed) have their first manned test flights scheduled in June and August respectively.

Then there's the NASA SLS - which, granted, is massively over budget (not news), and behind schedule - but they're planning a Manned test flight in 2020.

and consumer level tech quality is in the shitter.

Really depends on the specific technology. People have rose tinted glasses for retro tech, but a lot of it was utter garbage. There's plenty of consumer tech today that will last you years.

But we have this bs...

I wouldn't call it BS. It's novel, and a PR stunt, yes. But it's still an interesting demonstration as to what is possible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Tokio is a variant spelling for the city of Tokyo. It's commonly used in non-English speaking countries, but is basically never spelled that way in North America. In fact, the first time I ever saw this spelling was in this very thread - but upon looking it up, it's an accepted way to spell the city.

We used to. We had the Concorde (French/UK), which ran for what? 2 decades? America started 2 designs, but both were cancelled in the 70's.

We have the tech to build a supersonic passenger jet right now. That's not the reason why we don't have any. The reason is:

1. Fuel costs - apparently the Concorde used over a ton of fuel, just taxiing to the runway. Fuel was cheap in the 60's when these planes were developed, but fuel costs never truly recovered from the 70's oil shortage.

2. Noise - supersonic planes are loud as Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. There are some new designs and technology that can somewhat help with this, but you can't stop a sonic boom.

3. Airspace regulations - almost every single country has restrictions from allowing supersonic aircraft over their land due to the aforementioned sonic boom, and noise in general.

#3 is what ultimately killed the US version, since it basically meant the only viable flight routes were Atlantic Coast flights to Europe and Asia, since they couldn't fly over the continental US (And Pacific Coast flights over the Pacific Ocean weren't as popular?).

Uhm... Kinda? American Astronauts are still sent to space all the time. They just piggy back off of Russian Soyuz rockets.

That's also slated to change in 2019, as both SpaceX and the ULA (United Launch Alliance, which is Boeing and Lockheed) have their first manned test flights scheduled in June and August respectively.

Then there's the NASA SLS - which, granted, is massively over budget (not news), and behind schedule - but they're planning a Manned test flight in 2020.

Really depends on the specific technology. People have rose tinted glasses for retro tech, but a lot of it was utter garbage. There's plenty of consumer tech today that will last you years.

I wouldn't call it BS. It's novel, and a PR stunt, yes. But it's still an interesting demonstration as to what is possible.

The Concorde was a masterpiece but the point is, instead of having a successor to it, we have regressed. Air travel went from glamourous and futuristic with caviar and champagne to having the TSA stick their hand up your ass before they throw a bag of peanuts at you on your rickety 737.

There has been work done on quiet SSTs for overland use btw.

https://www.nasa.gov/aero/nasa-prepares-to-go-public-with-quiet-supersonic-tech

My family was involved in the us manned space program for over three decades. The shitty situation we're in is what happens when you have incompetent, evil people like John P. Holdren or Lori Garver put in place by incompetent, evil politicians to turn NASA into a global warming propaganda agency and forget about actual space exploration.

They cancelled Constellation and relegated the US astronauts to riding in Russian rockets. The same Russians who the fake news says are hacking everything(even though its usually China).

The SLS is weird. They managed to take one of the greatest reusable rocket engines(RS25 AKA SSME) and put them on an expendable launch vehicle thats going to fall into the ocean... 

I dont mean that retro tech itself was better. I mean that only parts of the technological landscape are actually advancing and its almost never the consumer tech that is nowadays. If you compare the level of advancement in consumer tech of the past with today, you quickly realize that around the late 90s to early 2000s people became accustomed to buying the immitation versions of what they used to buy. It wasnt just tech. It was everything consumers typically buy: tainted food, sweatshop clothes, poisonous drywall houses, marginally better phones made with slave labour.

Please give me examples of competently made consumer tech. 

11 hours ago, asus killer said:

using a stupid American pickup truck to do this, even if hydrogen powered, it's so American and priceless. I guess it could be weirder like a 2 seat convertible, still a pickup truck with those tires to deliver pizza ?

Since when was Toyota American lmao

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

Since when was Toyota American lmao

Like most domestically sold Toyotas, its made in the USA. In the case of the Tundra, its made in Texas, so its pretty American.

Although, i strongly disagree with that dude's ridiculously anti American sentiment.

And the Tundra is a very nice truck, even though im not really a truck guy. 

4 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Please give me examples of competently made consumer tech. 

What are we going to define as consumer tech? There is a lot of high quality well made stuff but it's on the much higher expensive end, most things just sit on two ends of the extremes. Cheap rubbish or expensive quality, audio equipment is a great example of that sort of thing (ignoring how much of a snake oil industry it is as well).

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What are we going to define as consumer tech? There is a lot of high quality well made stuff but it's on the much higher expensive end, most things just sit on two ends of the extremes. Cheap rubbish or expensive quality, audio equipment is a great example of that sort of thing (ignoring how much of a snake oil industry it is as well).

Even Bowers & Wilkins is now made in China. Their stuff used to be hand made in England up to the 2000s. High end audio like that is exactly the kind of cheaply made immitation replacing the genuine article i was speaking of.

Consumer tech like TVs, monitors are a good place to start looking. In the professional space monitor tech never stopped advancing. Interestingly, CRTs were directly replaced by OLEDs in Sony's broadcast and professional lines.

WCG-CCFLs were replaced by GB-r LED or RGB LED backlights in high end and professional monitors and TVs. Eventually, around 2010, you basically couldnt buy an RGB LED TV.

Even today, professional monitors use RGB LED, GB-r LED or OLED.

In order to keep selling new TVs during the global great recession, TV and monitor makers switched to WLED backlights, despite being the worst type of backlight. Even WCG-CCFLs had better colour. They literally used the worst feature as a selling point to consumers. And as a result, the colour accuracy, one of the most important aspects of a DISPLAY, got worse for consumers as it continued getting better in the professional space.

4 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Even Bowers & Wilkins is now made in China. Their stuff used to be hand made in England up to the 2000s. High end audio like that is exactly the kind of cheaply made immitation replacing the genuine article i was speaking of.

There's still many good brands that exist, B&W I never personally liked. Europe is a big hub of custom well made audio equipment, most of the brands aren't well known but generally far outside most peoples price range so there is little reason to know about them.

Personally I have a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i, plus I buy my own parts and build speakers myself as well.

I also use Plinius amps which were actually made about 20 minutes drive away from where I live.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There's still many good brands that exist, B&W I never personally liked. Europe is a big hub of custom well made audio equipment, most of the brands aren't well known but generally far outside most peoples price range so there is little reason to know about them.

Personally I have a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i, plus I buy my own parts and build speakers myself as well.

I also use Plinius amps which were actually made about 20 minutes drive away from where I live.

Yeah there are still niche luxury brands that make things, but with destructive market forces like outsourcing to China or Amazon/Walmart, they are priced like professional equipment or higher. It wasnt always this way because destructive trade agreements didnt always exist.

But thats kind of the point. Want something thats not a cheap made in China immitation of what you used to be able to get for a reasonable price? Gotta spend several times as much now. 

14 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Yeah there are still niche luxury brands that make things, but with destructive market forces like outsourcing to China or Amazon/Walmart, they are priced like professional equipment or higher. It wasnt always this way because destructive trade agreements didnt always exist.

But thats kind of the point. Want something thats not a cheap made in China immitation of what you used to be able to get for a reasonable price? Gotta spend several times as much now. 

Those high end brands have always been super expensive and out of reach of most, that hasn't changed. In fact they are all the same companies now as back in the 70s-80s, mostly. There's just way, way, more in the industry now all doing the low end stuff because it's easy and that is where the money is if you're not in it for passion or technology interest.

Before the Aeon i's we had Janszen Z-40s:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMdez5soSvzPLW0ZcQACBs-l300.jpg

Cheap 80s speakers were garbage, very very garbage. Cheap Chinese manufactured speakers of late 2000s to now are vastly better.

Really there is just more rubbish to wade through now, cost and availability of good stuff hasn't significantly changed. Some of the brands have shifted the manufacturing of their lowest product lines to China/Asian areas sure but the products are still in house designed and the speaker parts are still from Tymphany or equivalent.

13 hours ago, asus killer said:

Better?

No. Try again.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Those high end brands have always been super expensive and out of reach of most, that hasn't changed. In fact they are all the same companies now as back in the 70s-80s, mostly. There's just way, way, more in the industry now all doing the low end stuff because it's easy and that is where the money is if you're not in it for passion or technology interest.

Before the Aeon i's we had Janszen Z-40s:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMdez5soSvzPLW0ZcQACBs-l300.jpg

Cheap 80s speakers were garbage, very very garbage. Cheap Chinese manufactured speakers of late 2000s to now are vastly better.

Really there is just more rubbish to wade through now, cost and availability of good stuff hasn't significantly changed. Some of the brands have shifted the manufacturing of their lowest product lines to China/Asian areas sure but the products are still in house designed and the speaker parts are still from Tymphany or equivalent.

Cheap garbage level products have always existed. As you say, now theres more rubbish to wade through. So overall, the market went from some junk, a lot of mid range stuff and the ultra high end to mostly cheap junk and ultra high end.

Nowadays, its like the middle class. A lot of decent mid range stuff made in places with good manufacturing practices has disappeared like the middle class has disappeared. Now its either made in China rubbish or ultra high end stuff with very little in between.

Why? That has to do with the detrimental feedback loop started when unethical companies outsourced to slave/cheap labour which was made available to even occur during the 90s via terrible trade deals made by idiot leaders. In order to be competitive, other companies followed suit and outsourced.

That made the operating costs people who didnt outsource effectively go up thanks to reduced sales from ignorant consumers who just want the cheapest trash they can buy at Walmart or Amazon. High end stuff got even more expensive.

Those trade deals also undermined the purchasing power of global currencies since China is a well known currency manipulator, keeping their currency intentionally devalued so they can expand their manufacturing dominance. 

Ideally, good quality mid range reasonably priced things would be the rule, not the exception, but the regressive landscape of products that we see is evidence that people will buy the illusion.

All this fast food automation is like a reflection of the fast food mentality that most people are conditioned to have from birth these days. Instead of bragging about using top quality ingredients, made by skilled well trained cooks passionate about making good food, you can get a robot made processed burger or a robot truck made pizza.

I mean, why not just get rid of the human race entirely and design self programming robots that can feed each other or something? All this shit people get excited about was literally written about in dystopian novels and cautionary tales.