What does the "other side" not know about your favorite operating system?

corrado33

Many of us here are stubbornly resistant to change when it comes to operating systems. I want this thread to highlight the features of someone's chosen OS that someone who doesn't regularly use the OS may not know. 

I'll start.

Windows: The windows "Snap" feature (dragging a window to the top or sides of the monitor) is freaking wonderful. I have NO idea why Mac OS hasn't implemented this yet. Yes, you can download a multitude of programs to make it work, but it should be standard.

Mac: Mac has "hot corners" that you can use to perform actions. Not to mention it's "expose" is much better than windows. (Move your mouse to a corner to instantly display all windows currently open, in a nice organized fashion.) You can also use the corners to do things like lock the computer or make the computer fall asleep/turn the screen off. I personally use the last one every night. Also mac did "multiple desktops" right (mainly because it stole it from linux), where as windows.... did not. I honestly had to google if windows HAD multiple desktops (it does.) Anyway, hot corners changes a workflow wonderfully and allows you to do sometimes complex things with just a flick of the mouse. 

Also... Time Machine on Mac. Time machine is honestly the best backup program I have EVER used. It is so seemless. I've tried multiple free backup programs on windows and they all don't work... well. I mean they work, but none work as seemless as time machine. Maybe the non-free ones work better. Time machine really is wonderful. It's so easy your mother could use it. Can you say that about any windows backup solutions? 

MacOS:

- The trackpad. Honestly there is no Windows realm equivalent to the MacBook trackpads. And gestures. Once you become accustomed to the trackpad gestures, they're making your life and workflow so much easier.

- We don't have to eat updates for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Apple doesn't shove updates down your throat like it's the next best hotdog.

- Spotlight. CMD+spacebar. One of the best search function integrations I've ever used. No matter if I need to quickly open an app, find a file or go to a website right from the desktop or where ever in the system I am.

- Terminal. I love terminal. And, most probably don't know that Nano comes with every Mac. Most people probably don't even know what Nano is. :D I love Nano ?

- Stability. MacOS is stable (if you don't jump on the next best iteration right away) and snappy, even on fairly older hardware. The optimisation is just amazing.

- Seamless messaging and calling between devices. I can answer calls from my iPhone on my iMac or MacBook if I'm logged in with the same iCloud account. Same goes for text messages and FaceTime. 

Given, there are some things MacOS is missing but Magnet for example brings the snapping feature for just 99 cents and it's totally worth it.

Windows (Pro):

- Hyper-V integration. No 3rd party software needed for virtualisation. HV isn't perfect but it works for the most part. And it's a free feature on the Pro (and up) versions.

- GPEdit. Group Policy Editor. If you really need to stop these updates or just want to configure the system to your liking, this is the way to go. 

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

2 minutes ago, LexCalifornia said:

- Terminal. I love terminal. And, most probably don't know that Nano comes with every Mac. Most people probably don't even know what Nano is. :D I love Nano ?

Not to get off track but it also comes with VI, and an old text based adventure game called Dunnet. 

Type this in terminal.

emacs -batch -l dunnet

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Not to get off track but it also comes with VI, and an old text based adventure game called Dunnet. 

Type this in terminal.

emacs -batch -l dunnet

Vim is great as well but Nano is kinda my baby. :D 

Omigosh I totally forgot about Dunnet! ? Who needs airport wifi if you can play Dunnet! :D 

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

I didn't get what difficulties you have with windows multiply desktops? What can be easier than couple of hot-keys

Update:
Just checked Win+Tab combination and realized, that now Windows has a timeline of all opened applications for last 30 days. Can be really useful for me. Especially after vacation :)

I use all three major operating systems regularly, but macOS has been my main for 10 months by now

macOS:

- Only OS with great and consistent UI, no need to spend ages to customise

- Text rendering is actually good on standard pixel density

- A proper dark mode

- You don't have to spend hours to troubleshoot

- You can drag files or folders into file selection dialogs to navigate to that folder

- A checkbox for system updates

- No random intrusive pop ups telling me to use the system-default browser

- More stable

- Doesn't delete personal files

🙂

On 11/1/2018 at 12:56 PM, duncannah said:

- A proper dark mode

no. open up pages and it's still the old theme. this is a proper dark mode:                                           (os shown: manjaro linux)

823798474_Screenshotfrom2018-11-0422-48-37.png.e46d6ac89dce16392aae40b98f0681d9.png

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

no. open up pages and it's still the old theme. this is a proper dark mode:                                           (os shown: manjaro linux)

That was mainly against Windows; and also Pages do have dark mode, you just have to update it

🙂

Just now, duncannah said:

That was mainly for Windows; and also Pages do have dark mode, you just have to update it

i've only used Mojave twice.. so i was kinda unaware of that. 

She/Her

On 11/1/2018 at 7:40 PM, corrado33 said:

Windows: The windows "Snap" feature (dragging a window to the top or sides of the monitor) is freaking wonderful. I have NO idea why Mac OS hasn't implemented this yet. Yes, you can download a multitude of programs to make it work, but it should be standard.

with Snapping, dont forget the keyboard shortcuts.....

Win key + down minimises

Win key + up restores (if its windowed doing it again maximises)

Win key + left or right snap to the edges of the screen and switches to another screen.

Some features i also love in Windows 10:

- Middle clicking on taskbar icons opens another instance of the app...great for File Explorer or browsers

- Ctrl + Z pretty much undoes stuff in almost anything

- Many people dont realise that right clicking the Start Icon is pretty much a shortcut for all the main system tools you could ever need

- Window Shake - if you have lots of open windows on your desktop - click the bar along the top of the window you want to keep (e.g Chrome) and shake it...everything else will minimise. 

- You can resize your CMD prompt to any size and make it transparent, looks pretty much like a terminal window ? 

c61d482543cc1de471c4d5aca1ddec26.jpg

- Theres a hidden function for slide to shutdown...mines a shortcut in my start menu

7b65bc0afbfc17bb59dfc117e999b552.jpg

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Here's one huge thing I forgot about macOS: custom app shortcuts.

image.png.03fbd3ce89fe4a35b3bd5c7410b6e9c4.png

You can either change an existing shortcut, or create a shortcut for any action in the menu bar in any app.

🙂