How does Fingerprint Under Display work?? - OnePlus 6T

James

Buy OnePlus on Amazon: http://geni.us/KEA9mei

Fingerprint on Screen (FoD) lets you unlock your phone using a fingerprint reader that’s hidden behind the smartphone’s glass. You can find this biometric technology on the OnePlus 6T.

I thought iphone 5 does that, nothing new. Is it one location on screen, or anywhere on the screen. Nothing to get too excited about, either way, its pretty boring technology. Pretty soon the phones will have eye scan tech and start selling more info on you. That would be a great video, I am sure grocery stores have them, its cutting edge technology. Now that would be something to get excited about.

Hint: It doesn't work that well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I thought iphone 5 does that, nothing new. Is it one location on screen, or anywhere on the screen. Nothing to get too excited about, either way, its pretty boring technology. Pretty soon the phones will have eye scan tech and start selling more info on you. That would be a great video, I am sure grocery stores have them, its cutting edge technology. Now that would be something to get excited about.

Na, there was another Chinese phone last year that had one, but otherwise it is a relatively new tech that is only compatible with OLED displays (the Iphone 5 had an IPS display) And it is only one point on the display.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I thought iphone 5 does that, nothing new. Is it one location on screen, or anywhere on the screen. Nothing to get too excited about, either way, its pretty boring technology.

iPhone doesn't have, only Vivo X21 and I think one more phone have them, but this is supposed to be 2nd gen compared to those (I think). iPhone has a physical button like all other phones do. 3rd incoming gen ultrasonic reader is supposedly coming in on S10 and should be far more accurate. While we're at it, Samsung patented last week the under screen version that works anywhere on the screen, so hopefully in few years we will get that. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

No iPhone has ever had FoD technology. Apple's 'Touch ID' uses a capacitive button below the screen ( ie at the bottom edge of the screen), not beneath it.

I got nothing to hide

It is an annoyance to do any sort of password just to get into a cell phone. I dont lose phones so that excuse is out the window.

As for scratches... Well they seem to be "ok"

I'm waiting for his tear down :D

14 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I got nothing to hide

It is an annoyance to do any sort of password just to get into a cell phone. I dont lose phones so that excuse is out the window.

Oooo Nice bank account you have there thanks ?

Any type of fingerprint or facial unlock method are to insecure use so I don't get the excitement about this news.

If I remember correctly vivo has a much larger FoD size.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

12 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I got nothing to hide

Nothing to hide and nothing to lose are completely different. If someone took my phone right now they would have my emails, text messages, photos, contacts and countless other things I don't want someone else to have. Saying you have nothing to hide is okay if it's someone you know on your phone, but if you get mugged it's much different. 

11 hours ago, Kroon said:

Any type of fingerprint or facial unlock method are to insecure use so I don't get the excitement about this news.

This wasn't about face unlock, and how is fingerprint insecure? You would have to go to great lengths to get passed a fingerprint sensor of somebody you don't know.

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

Hint: It doesn't work that well.

It seems to work perfect? Even with scratches. i don't see your problem here

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

If I remember correctly vivo has a much larger FoD size.

I think you're  right but it wasn't as fast at recognizing it I think

12 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

As for scratches... Well they seem to be "ok"

he scratched that up really good I don't see how it's only "ok", it seemed to be perfect as normal

14 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I don't lose phones so that excuse is out the window.

I feel like anyone can lose a phone. I'm careful, sure...but that doesn't rule it out entirely.

It's like me saying I'm a good driver. That doesn't exclude me from being in a car accident whilst driving :P 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, Shally said:

It seems to work perfect? Even with scratches. i don't see your problem here

You can check out a lot of videos where it doesn't quite work that well, and it's something that every reviewer has mentioned to some extent.

I'm still more interested in the ultrasonic sensors.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You can check out a lot of videos where it doesn't quite work that well, and it's something that every reviewer has mentioned to some extent.

I'm still more interested in the ultrasonic sensors.

really? Because LTT and Jerry didn't seem to have any issues with it. MKBH only had issue with the brightness/animation of it, and Hardware Canucks said he couldn't "lightly" press it anymore but i don't think he was every able to do that

3 hours ago, Shally said:

he scratched that up really good I don't see how it's only "ok", it seemed to be perfect as normal

I said that because the future is still unknown depending on how deep those scratches are when it comes to use. If it keeps working normally with those scratches for the rest of its life then great, but because it requires a back light to work those scratches can harbor junk, junk that could distort the fingerprint and cause issues.

17 hours ago, James said:

Fingerprint on Screen (FoD)

*Fingerprint on Display*

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

6 hours ago, Chaos Network said:

*Fingerprint on Display*

wow

Just now, James said:

wow

I mean you walked into that one by saying fingerprint on screen and then fod

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

25 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

fod

Foot on Display?

Fun on Demand?

Fire on Demand?

Free Onion Dicing?

Fruity Orange Drink?

Fingerprints on Disks?

FoD could mean a lot of things... Just saying :P

Edited by Egg-Roll
Wow that list escalated fast (there was no edit)

Till we get some top layer lite OS with very limited permissions for use during these "fingerprint/face unlocks" then this tech is a joke.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:26 PM, Shally said:

This wasn't about face unlock, and how is fingerprint insecure? You would have to go to great lengths to get passed a fingerprint sensor of somebody you don't know.

You do know that even the most expensive fingerprint used in different alarm/security is really easy to "break"?  Some of them as easy as carbon lifted prints with tape and your own thumb. Then we have silicon transfer of prints that fools every fingerprint reader I have seen. There is a lot of this in different tests but I think most famous is the ones Mythbusters did even if they did't made the tests in a scientific way they fooled every fingerprint reader in several different ways.  But whats really unsafe is that the ones that need to enter the phone like a thief or police just have to force you do open the phone (unconscious even). 

A lo of companies do not allow fingerprint unlock on company phone due to security reasons.  A system with dual codes are the best, one that unlocks the phone and one that locks the phone forever. That way you can tell the thief/police the wrong code.  Another solution would be to password lock all confidential information like email, contacts etc etc with their own protection but then you can just leave the phone unlocked at all times because all info are locked anyway.