3 pin RGB to 4 pin

Team_rog

Hello, So I have an ASUS ROG H370-F motherboard with ONLY 1 4 pin rgb header but I also have a cooler master RGB fan with a 3 pin header and a phanteks enthoo pro m with tempered glass with 4 pin RGB so could anyone help me plz??

Thanks! :-)

2 minutes ago, Team_rog said:

Hello, So I have an ASUS ROG H370-F motherboard with ONLY 1 4 pin rgb header but I also have a cooler master RGB fan with a 3 pin header and a phanteks enthoo pro m with tempered glass with 4 pin RGB so could anyone help me plz??

Thanks! ?

Welcome to the Forums!

For the phanteks LED strips you can wire them up to your motherboard's RGB header using an adapter they have available, but for the coolermaster fans if they are the 3 pin addressable type you will require their own dedicated controller as they are two different RGB type systems.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-CB_RGB4P.html

-Moved to Modding section-  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue, I just put together a system with a Phanteks 350x case which has it's own built in lights that use a 5v 3pin addressable RGB connection, but the Rog B450-F board I used only has (2x) 12v 4pin RGB connections. 

After a lot of searching (I mean a lot, like nobody seems to be aware of these things) I finally found that xs-pc makes a controller that is sata input to (2x) 5v 3 pin addressable RGB output. Even more searching finally found a vendor with them on their site:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10001883/cab-2028/XSPC_Addressable_RGB_SATA_Controller_3pin_5V.html

Just ordered one so I'll find out how well it works. Also ordered one of the xspc fans that takes the same type of connection, since the 1 fan included with the 350x was not rgb. Not surprisingly frozenpc's review of the fan mention they needed the sata adaptor to review the fan.

I did use two other fans that were rgb, but they took the two existing 12v 4 pin rgb connections on the board. The Wraith Prism cooler could have also gone on a 12v 4pin, but it had an option to hook to a USB connection instead so I didn't need a splitter (thanks AMD).  The other two RGB items I had were the board itself and my GPU, neither of which needs an independent connection...though I still haven't been able to actually address the GPU lights (it's just solid blue atm).

• 2 weeks later...

BTW I found this connector which says: "insert phanteks multi color rgb strips on this connector only."

Do I have to connect that to the RGB header?

(BTW I want to use aura sync)

6 hours ago, Team_rog said:

BTW I found this connector which says: "insert phanteks multi color rgb strips on this connector only."

Do I have to connect that to the RGB header?

(BTW I want to use aura sync)

Provide some photos, where is this connected to and what are you planning to use on it?

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, Fauxknight said:

I have a similar issue, I just put together a system with a Phanteks 350x case which has it's own built in lights that use a 5v 3pin addressable RGB connection, but the Rog B450-F board I used only has (2x) 12v 4pin RGB connections. 

After a lot of searching (I mean a lot, like nobody seems to be aware of these things) I finally found that xs-pc makes a controller that is sata input to (2x) 5v 3 pin addressable RGB output. Even more searching finally found a vendor with them on their site:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10001883/cab-2028/XSPC_Addressable_RGB_SATA_Controller_3pin_5V.html

Just ordered one so I'll find out how well it works. Also ordered one of the xspc fans that takes the same type of connection, since the 1 fan included with the 350x was not rgb. Not surprisingly frozenpc's review of the fan mention they needed the sata adaptor to review the fan.

I did use two other fans that were rgb, but they took the two existing 12v 4 pin rgb connections on the board. The Wraith Prism cooler could have also gone on a 12v 4pin, but it had an option to hook to a USB connection instead so I didn't need a splitter (thanks AMD).  The other two RGB items I had were the board itself and my GPU, neither of which needs an independent connection...though I still haven't been able to actually address the GPU lights (it's just solid blue atm).

Did it end up working for you? I have a 4 pin rgb header on my ASUS motherboard. But my case has a 3 pin rgb strip builtin. I was hoping to connect it to my mobo somehow. @Fauxknight

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, Fauxknight said:

Yes, did it work for you? Can you control the Phanteks case lights with the motherboard software?

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:36 AM, Fauxknight said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I came across this thread like everyone else with the same problem. I have a 4 pin 12v header on my motherboard but had bought a 3 pin 5v fans. I bought this product to see if it would work. And it did! 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, iqtedar said:

Did it end up working for you? I have a 4 pin rgb header on my ASUS motherboard. But my case has a 3 pin rgb strip builtin. I was hoping to connect it to my mobo somehow. @Fauxknight

It won't connect to the motherboard, I have it connected to the thermaltake sync controller.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, Sabidos said:

Yes, did it work for you? Can you control the Phanteks case lights with the motherboard software?

It can't be controlled with the motherboard software. It has a controller attached to the cables which lets you cycle through some presets but that's not a problem for me since I just wanted the rainbow effect and it does just that.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

See I bought that for my Lian Li Fan,, which have the same 3 pin rgb controller....and when i got them to power, they freaked out and wouldn't even work with the 12v controller nor were they even seen my the Razer chroma system.

Specs:

Amd Ryzen 1700 OC to 3.78 ghz

32 GBs of DDR4 

Asus Motherboard

NZXR H440 RAZER EDITIONS CASE

Asus Strix GTX 1080

Asus Strix Sound card.  

Thermaltake 850W BRONZE PSU

• 1 month later...

This was really hard to find when i did it, I have 4 pin that needed to switch to 3 pin and it works perfect with my ROG B450 (and like you i wanted to use the mobo controls). Deepcool RGB Converter.

I get a little fluttering between colors at times,I figured out its a power issue and i need to invest in a second converter. 

https://www.amazon.ca/DEEPCOOL-Convertor-Transfer-Motherboard-Products/dp/B07QPYSC82/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_1/137-0649769-9294834?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07QPYSC82&pd_rd_r=bf3dfbc0-59ff-4362-9304-15c042710439&pd_rd_w=vUXAV&pd_rd_wg=UVINl&pf_rd_p=256a14b6-93bc-4bcd-9f68-aea60d2878b9&pf_rd_r=7RQ28PSH6WJNT56QD25F&psc=1&refRID=7RQ28PSH6WJNT56QD25F

On 5/23/2020 at 11:53 PM, Kryten2x4z said:

See I bought that for my Lian Li Fan,, which have the same 3 pin rgb controller....and when i got them to power, they freaked out and wouldn't even work with the 12v controller nor were they even seen my the Razer chroma system.

argb strips have chips in them and are set for a serten pwm frequency and if its dos not match it can flicker or not work at all so its just an gable. i heard that asusrock runs a different pwm on there mb but we really dont no it can vary between chip sets.

there are only 2 4pin mb to 3pin device controllers that i no of and both is just an gable

there is a 3 one but its diy program yourself with an Arduino's

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links