Freeze > Reset. Rinse and repeat until in Windows.

AutonomousRedux

Hello, all. I recently rebuilt my computer with a new MoBo and m.2 SSD, and it's been an absolute tit since I put it together.

System specs:

• ASRock X370 Taichi (Bios P4.40)
  • R5 1600
  • EVGA 1080 FTW
  • Samsung 970 evo, Samsung 850 evo, ADATA SP550, WD10EZEX x2
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3000MHz
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650w
  • Lian Li Alpha 550w
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The issue: When cold booting, the system fires up but refuses to POST, landing on a Dr. Debug of 62. This repeats until I fiddle with the ram by either adding or removing a DIMM. I am then able to POST. After that, I get stuck on an ASRock loading screen with a loading circle*. After many manual resets and repair screens, I am then able to get to my login screen for windows. It will then freeze and reset the entire system. No BSOD, just a freeze and reset. After a few cycles of this, I am able to login. Queue more freezing and resets until the system stabilizes and I am able to use it as normal.

When I first built the system, the MoBo didn't recognize my two SSDs in SATA_1 and SATA_2. After a few resets, it finally saw them. Also of note is that if I try to boot from an external drive with an OS on it, it gives the "Insert bootable media or drive and press any key" message.

Another issue that seems to be appearing is that boot drives connected to this computer start getting corrupted. Originally I used my 850 to migrate data to the 970 to use as the new boot drive. I did a clean install of windows on the 970 was because within a few hours I was unable to boot from it. Soon after, I was unable to boot from my 850, whether internally or externally or even on other computers.

Troubleshooting steps I have tried:

• Using different RAM
  • Using any combination of drives
  • Booting from an external drive
  • Reseating all components
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Fresh install of Windows

*This also happens if I have any drives connected besides my m.2 drive.

I suspect my board may be wonky, but I have some time before I can send it back to check for any other issues. Thank you for any help.

does the board stabilize with all drives unplugged?

does it stabilize with one single ram stick inserted that is a small amount like 4gb?

Just now, emosun said:

does the board stabilize with all drives unplugged?

does it stabilize with one single ram stick inserted that is a small amount like 4gb?

1. Once I'm able to POST, I have no further issues POSTing or getting into the BIOS.

2. RAM configuration doesn't seem to matter. Although I am unable to test with a smaller RAM kit since all I have are 8g DIMMs.

To me it sounds like a ram issue , I don't specifically see 3000mhz as being a supported speed with that board but maybe that doesn't matter.

12 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

Fresh install of Windows

So the machine at some point was able to complete an entire windows installation?

Just now, emosun said:

To me it sounds like a ram issue , I don't specifically see 3000mhz as being a supported speed with that board but maybe that doesn't matter.

So the machine at some point was able to complete an entire windows installation?

At first I used Samsung migrate to copy my 850 to my 970. But then the 970 refused to boot at all. Had to fresh install from a USB to it.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it seems drives I'm booting from on this computer start getting corrupted. I'm totally unable to boot from my 850, even on other computers.