pfsense Router and slow gigabit download speeds

YubinTheBunny

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/40948724

So recently I upgraded to gigabit fiber internet and I decided to upgrade my router to a pfsense router that I built using spare pc parts. The issue is that I know my hardware can handle the gigabit connection but for some reason my download speeds are only about 50-60% of what they should be and I don't know what's the issue. I'm also not that familiar with pf sense so there might be some secret sauce config that I might need in order to hit that magic gigabit number. The fiber line is connected to the router via a sfp to rj45 media converter which could be the issue, but it would also affect the upload I assume if that was the case?

Router specs:

i5 4670k

16gb of ram

2x 1210-t1 intel nics

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

How are you testing

to do a true speed test 2 things I recommend

Ethernet only

only 1 client connected to the network. Disable wifi and unplug anything but the computer you are testing on

2 minutes ago, intertan said:

How are you testing

to do a true speed test 2 things I recommend

Ethernet only

only 1 client connected to the network. Disable wifi and unplug anything but the computer you are testing on

I did the speedtest with parameters you listed and my results are still the same. Disabled offloading and changed the mtu but still getting the same speeds.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

could you test without the pfsense and see what you get?if you get fullish speed without pfsense you know your pfsence setup is causing the issue.

16 minutes ago, intertan said:

could you test without the pfsense and see what you get?if you get fullish speed without pfsense you know your pfsence setup is causing the issue.

I did the test with the original HomeHub3000 that bell provides and getting the exact same speeds... starting to think that it's bell's end. I'm going to wait a couple days and see if they fix it. Anyways, thanks for the help I'll probably res the thread in a couple days if I still have issues.

Build

7 hours ago, YubinTheBunny said:

I did the test with the original HomeHub3000 that bell provides and getting the exact same speeds... starting to think that it's bell's end. I'm going to wait a couple days and see if they fix it. Anyways, thanks for the help I'll probably res the thread in a couple days if I still have issues.

How is it all connected? what does the fiber cable itself connect to? you might be able to just bypass the isp router and go straight to the pfsense machine. My isp sasktel has that option from the ont to your own equipment. Only catch is after the ont it is completely your responsibility with no support from them. not there equipment not there problem.

15 hours ago, intertan said:

How is it all connected? what does the fiber cable itself connect to? you might be able to just bypass the isp router and go straight to the pfsense machine. My isp sasktel has that option from the ont to your own equipment. Only catch is after the ont it is completely your responsibility with no support from them. not there equipment not there problem.

There's a couple ways I can bypass the homehub. 1) Using pppoe passthrough 2) Media converter 3) sfp pci-e card. But I think bell solved whatever issue is at their end because I'm getting full speeds again. Yay!

Build

• 11 months later...

I am getting a third of the 1 gigabit i was promised and 1/10 of the upload. I am with bell and using a media converter. 

With the hub i was getting the speeds they offered. I am not sure what it is. I am connecting through pppoe. 

ONT > Media converter > pfsense (wan)

the router is more than strong enough. I hoping to get close to gigabit speeds. 

any ideas?

Thanks!