Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
martward

Question about v-sync

FastSync and V-Sync are completely different things.

V-Sync will always try to match your FPS to the Refresh Rate.

Fast Sync on the other hand will always try having your FPS Above the Refresh Rate.

Both try to eliminate screan tearing through different methods, FastSync decreases 'input lag/delay' that may sometimes be caused by V-Sync.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 1440p/144Hz screen (Samsung LC27JG50) and I am fiddling with my 1060 6gb a bit to get the most out of it. I manage to get decent framerates and in some games like CS:GO I can use the 144Hz. I was tinkering with the v-sync a bit, and decided to put the v-sync setting in the control panel to 'fast'. MSI Afterburner still shows a framerate of 200+ though. My theory is that the since the GPU still creates the frames but they are just not pushed to the monitor, MSI Afterburner shows framerates over 144Hz. Is this correct or is the setting not working/am I not understanding this properly?

Spoiler

Xeon E3-1231v3, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB @1600MHz, MSI z97s SLI Krait EditionSamsung 850 EVO 512GB and a 2TB WD Blue, Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650, CM Hyper 212 plus

Lenovo L480 (i5-8250U, 16GB RAM)

Posted · Best Answer

Fast Sync on the other hand will always try having your FPS Above the Refresh Rate.

Both try to eliminate screan tearing through different methods, FastSync decreases 'input lag/delay' that may sometimes be caused by V-Sync.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.8ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

are you sure that v-sync is on cause it should never go above the monitor refresh rate. maybe the fast setting lets it go above it only a little bit but ive never seen that before

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ah okay, so the fast setting in vertical sync is called FastSync. Yes this clears things up and confirms my theory. Basically the gpu is adding 200+ frames per second to the buffer and then only 144 are actually pushed to the monitor. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

are you sure that v-sync is on cause it should never go above the monitor refresh rate. maybe the fast setting lets it go above it only a little bit but ive never seen that before 

Yeah so apparently this isn't the same as regular v-sync, it's just a bit unclear since it is located under the name vertical sync in the control panel.

Spoiler

Xeon E3-1231v3, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB @1600MHz, MSI z97s SLI Krait EditionSamsung 850 EVO 512GB and a 2TB WD Blue, Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650, CM Hyper 212 plus

Lenovo L480 (i5-8250U, 16GB RAM)