Number of users currently active stat for the forum.

MandoPanda
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
8 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

I know there is a "total members" and "most online" stat, but is it possible to have a stat that shows how many people are logged in at once in real time? @Crunchy Dragon

That was removed to increase performance. We used to have one, but it got ditched in the last update.

I know there is a "total members" and "most online" stat, but is it possible to have a stat that shows how many people are logged in at once in real time? @Crunchy Dragon

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

5 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

but is it possible to have a stat that shows how many people are logged in at once in real time?

Yes it is possible and more then likely they have it in their backend software.

There's even an "online users" section but it's totally broken.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

congrats @Crunchy Dragon on your backend admin promotion LOL

@colonel_mortis Happy?

30 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

There's even an "online users" section but it's totally broken.

There is more that is broken then the online user counter

They used to have that (plus even a list of who specifically is online), but I can imagine they might have removed it because performance reasons.

(It's quite a long time ago, but I believe it had to do with performance of the website, which for testing they removed it.. and never added it back)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's difficult to keep track who is online and who is not. Some user might have closed the browser tab, but connection is still alive. Or maybe connections are constantly dropped and recreated. Tracking that is not very cheap and requires a reliable source for data.

Secondly, what benefit does it bring? What do you do with this number? What does it give you?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Mortis has removed all features that provide very little good, but have massive effect on site loading times. Like something pinging user database constantly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

48 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

- Thread moved to Feature Suggestions.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

What do you do with this number? What does it give you? 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I know the Kerbal Space Program forum has a similar thing and they're run by Invision Stupidity Services as well so I'm sure it's built into the back end

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

That was removed to increase performance. We used to have one, but it got ditched in the last update.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thanks for the info!

my dreams... are no more.

6 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

my dreams... are no more.

Aww...

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

The total online users widget was actually removed ages ago for performance reasons, but now the performance problems affect both total online users and users online in a particular section, so both will remain disabled for the foreseeable future.

HTTP/2 203

On 10/25/2018 at 2:07 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

provide very little good

On 10/25/2018 at 1:58 AM, jj9987 said:

what benefit does it bring?

We could say that about other things at lmg

People are just curious, that is human nature, how many, where, how, when, why. Linus' sandals, this that and the other thing.

13 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The total online users widget was actually removed ages ago for performance reasons, but now the performance problems affect both total online users and users online in a particular section, so both will remain disabled for the foreseeable future.

Ah, I think that's too bad. I was about to make a post about the removal of the list of currently-viewing users to a thread. I guess that explains why it's gone. It was cool to see a users listed viewing a thread, though. Made things feel a bit more personal and social. And seeing a huge amount of members reading a thread made it feel pretty happening.

For the record, I never noticed any slowness or difference in performance when it was there. Could it being an option that people turn off or on for their account remedy any slow performance for people that turn it off?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Ah, I think that's too bad. I was about to make a post about the removal of the list of currently-viewing users to a thread. I guess that explains why it's gone. It was cool to see a users listed viewing a thread, though. Made things feel a bit more personal and social. And seeing a huge amount of members reading a thread made it feel pretty happening.

For the record, I never noticed any slowness or difference in performance when it was there. Could it being an option that people turn off or on for their account remedy any slow performance for people that turn it off?

The performance impacts only came in after the new update (as a result of other performance improvements that were made), and the widget was disabled soon after. It was causing the forum response time, and associated server load, to more than double in some cases. That isn't something that I'm willing to re-enable I'm afraid.

HTTP/2 203

On 10/25/2018 at 8:37 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

'Tis a shame... I find it nice to know how many users online.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:23 AM, Delicieuxz said:

Same.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:14 AM, colonel_mortis said:

The performance impacts only came in after the new update (as a result of other performance improvements that were made), and the widget was disabled soon after. It was causing the forum response time, and associated server load, to more than double in some cases. That isn't something that I'm willing to re-enable I'm afraid.

Still it's a feature that I will miss... 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

What's the point of signing in anonymously now?

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

1 hour ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Because people want anonymity these days, well the humble people do.

13 hours ago, Opencircuit74 said:

I believe the only thing it changes is that, when signed in, your "Last visited" part on your profile won't update.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 10/27/2018 at 2:14 PM, colonel_mortis said:

WHO MADE YOU ADMINISTRATOR?