PSU Tier List 2.1 - LEGACY

LienusLateTips
10 hours ago, ears_ears said:

I'll take this one from Tom's Hardware:

-Absolute trash 3.3V transient response (failed almost every test)

-Very noisy (30-40+ dbA range), especially under max load

-Bulky cables

-"Found lots of long component leads on the main PCB" 

-Short distance between pheripheral connectors

-5VSB efficiency should be higher (Whisper m has same issue to be fair)

Whisper m issues:

-hold up time (doesn't really matter unless you use a UPS often)

-ATX cable connector is tough to connect to the PSU side

5VSB efficiency should be higher

Would you provide links to the Tom's Hardware articles that contain these negative comments please.

Do you only consider Tom's Hardware assessments of psu?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

10 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

True, but still efficency is good,

No, it only tells you about the efficiency, nothing more

10 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

it does seem like there is going to come a point whare theres not much they can do to make them better. Except completely fanless

The point is already there. 96% Efficincy or so is rediculous. You can't do much more without replacing the ATX Spec and going single voltage

Ripple & Noise is already as good as it gets

Same with Voltage Regulation

Now the only thing to be done is bring the cost down and that to the mainstream...

Remember, around 10 Years ago the usual efficiency was around 70-75%, with the introduction of 80plus it got a bit better. But the Top units were still a bit short of 90%...

Right now we're at over 90% for most of the load in 230VAC, even with cheaper units or rather close to that...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, Rexper said:

- The higher wattage Whispers are also rather loud with 40+ dBA at higher loads. But both the Focus 550 and Whisper 550 are quiet, rated Lambda A and A+ respectively.

That thing is bullshit because it overrates Semi-Fanless.
So if a unit is at 0rpm, it means 0 Noise but if it goes up to 1500rpm for the last 20% or so, it might still get a good rating.

And the Tests are done at unrealistically high temperatures wich are rarely constant as well.

The "Hot Box" Test that Jonnyguru did might have been interesting back in 2006, when the PSU were mounted on top, today its totally nonsense and useless. To do a 100% "Stress Test" would make sense. But everything else does not.

So with that said: Some PSU really do not like high ambient temperatures and spin the fan rediculously high even at medium loads...

And yes, I've told Aris that a couple of times in the past that I think that the Hot Box stuff makes no sense and that the fan RPM should be done at max. 25°C Room Temperature at most 30°C. No more. Because that is what is realistic today. 10 Years ago with Fan on Top and a fat Tower Cooler in Front of the PSU and a 150W+ CPU underneath it, it would make sense. Today the PSU works with cold fresh air from outside the case. So that's pretty much irrelevant.

Anyway, here how it looks for a Whisper M 650W at normal room temperature:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_whisper_m/s08.php

Here what a Focus looks like:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/seasonic_focus_gold/s09.php

So the 650W Whisper M is still around 700rpm when it is at ~550W.

The 550W Focus is at 1200rpm

Ähm, yeah, the Bitfenix is far quieter under load as ~1200rpm, even with a 120mm fan is not quiet no more. That's rather noticable.

And also the Whisper M changes the fan from 650W and up. So the low load RPM are the same on 650 and 850W. But not on the 550W. That one rotates far lower.

Here how it looks on a 450W Formula:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_formula_gold_450/s09.php

~500rpm from 0W up to 450W...

- Cabling probably isnt considered either in this list. But I'd like to point out the Whisper uses cable-caps aswell, which can make cable management tricky.

Yeah, the ATX Cable of the Whisper M is kinda bad. Wich is why I use the Cable of my broken RM650i. Works better.

I told my Bitfenix Contact that when I got my 850W unit back in the Day...

- The long component leads is litterally the only thing on your list that has to do with build quality

- Hold up time can be useful for micro power losses, as well as UPS compatibility. If your power grids aren't stable, hold up time is something to consider.

Only for Offline UPS and even then there are a ton of units that switch within half a wave and don't need to wait the full wave.

That is what the Holdup Time is specified for. And its in a 60Hz Net. For 50Hz you need 20ms. So for most people the Holdup Time Spec is bullshit anyway. So Why even bother with that??

It isn't fair to skip to the last page of the review to look at the con list. Because the bulk of the electrical performance aspects are very good on both power supplies.

Depends.

The Critique of the Focus is valid.

And the manufacturer stated that the unit had problems with certain Graphics Cards, though they seem to have missed a ton of problematic cards like the MSI 1080ti ones.

And we shouldn't defend a company that doesn't seem to want to replace an 8 year old, group regulated unit that is far to expensive for what you get, where the sucessor should arrive in fall - like 4 Years ago or so...

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, it only tells you about the efficiency, nothing more

Yes but it being efficient is a good thing

4 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Depends on how much power your system consumes, how much you use your system, how much electricity costs, and the prices of the PSUs.

For a lot of people the electricity savings between bronze and gold is negligible.

6 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Why is it a good thing?

And why you ignore everything else?

3 hours ago, Rexper said:

Depends on how much power your system consumes, how much you use your system, how much electricity costs, and the prices of the PSUs.

For a lot of people the electricity savings between bronze and gold is negligible.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why is it a good thing?

And why you ignore everything else?

I wasn't ignoring everything else I was just stating that efficency is a good thing, I never said that it meant a PSU is better overall because it is more efficent....... it just in general is good to be efficent weather it is a PSU or a motor or a TV, Less waste, less heat, less cost. 

23 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I assume S is the best? Or it means something else?

S is the best. It's like ESEA ranking for csgo, S is best, and then down the list for ABC in order

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And the Tests are done at unrealistically high temperatures wich are rarely constant as well.

Then look at their noise graphs. Those tests are done at 30-32C. For the majority of loads the Seasonic Focus isn’t loud. But towards the upper end of 12v crossload the PSU for whatever reason gets noisy.

Most people who people who buy a 550w unit would have less than 350w DC load though.

You don’t think hold up time is at all important for protection against transient power losses with poor power grids?

I wonder if there are any tests showing how common <16ms power drops are in different countries...

15 minutes ago, Rexper said:

Then look at their noise graphs. Those tests are done at 30-32C.

Yeah, still on the high end. Most of us are around 20-25°C...

And I've provided you with a Link to such tests at Tweak PC, they are pretty comparable in that regards---

For the majority of loads the Seasonic Focus isn’t loud. But towards the upper end of 12v crossload the PSU for whatever reason gets noisy.

Most people who people who buy a 550w unit would have less than 350w DC load though.

Sorry, but that's just downplaying the facts.

Yes, it might be the case but that doesn't matter, what does is how it looks for other units.

When I have 1350rpm or so with my 750W Xilence, at full load (somewere around 700W or so), then 1200rpm is not good.

Though the fan is not comparable and a bit unfair -> 120mm vs. 135mm...

But it shows you how it is compared to the competition and that is what is really important. You can make a pretty decent product but if the competition can offer a way better product for a lower price, you don't look that good. And that's the point here right now...

You don’t think hold up time is at all important for protection against transient power losses with poor power grids?

I wonder if there are any tests showing how common <16ms power drops are in different countries...

No, because that increases the load on the PFC Section of the PSU wich means that its a good idea to have a USV anyway for all your PC Devices.

And with most modern ones, like this one:
https://www.apc.com/shop/de/de/products/Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-900-230V-Schuko/P-BR900G-GR

You have a switch time of around 8-10ms (so around half a sinusoidal wave).

And that is what the Holdup Time was intended and made for. For us in Europe, it was shit anyways because we need 20ms Holdup Time becuase that's the time one wave takkes to swing in full.

With 60Hz, that is reduced to 16,666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666ms or so.

The OP should include a key. There is no reason to force uninformed users to make assumptions about the meaning of S or the ordering of tiers, or the relative differences.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

The OP should include a key. There is no reason to force uninformed users to make assumptions about the meaning of S or the ordering of tiers, or the relative differences.

As I've said, this list will likely be replaced by the end of this month or next month, so I'm not really including anything over the original list other than new PSUs.

I'll update it with the suggestion though.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

What do y'all think about this structure?

1947523325_ScreenShot2018-12-08at11_16_58AM.png.b817adda9fe86665eebe3a0394fae392.png

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

What are the exact criteria for assigning to tier S, A, B, C?

What can an Overclocker's PSU do that a Gamers' PSU couldn't do? What can a Gamers' PSU do that a Facebook Machine PSU couldn't do?

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

What are the exact criteria for assigning to tier S, A, B, C?

What can an Overclocker's PSU do that a Gamers' PSU couldn't do? What can a Gamers' PSU do that a Facebook Machine PSU couldn't do?

S would be ridiculously high end units that 99% of people don't need. Like the MiJ, the PRIME, and other extremely high performing units.

A would basically encompass everything from Tier 1 to 3. It's just a overall blanket for reliable units that have pretty good build quality, protections and performance.

B is a blanket for Tiers 4-6. It's good enough for an Office PC or as a Facebook Machine, but that no one would recommend for a high end gaming PC.

C is just a AVOID spell. Tier 7, mostly.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

1947523325_ScreenShot2018-12-08at11_16_58AM.png.b817adda9fe86665eebe3a0394fae392.png

aren't there sufficient psu's in tier B for gaming?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

It's better than GQs, BQs at least

Because I was looking to use a tier B PSU for overclocking and gaming unless I should get an RMx or G2

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Because I was looking to use a tier B PSU for overclocking and gaming unless I should get an RMx or G2

what kind of PC do you have?

because maybe by OCers he meant extreme overclockers with subambient cooling

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

aren't there sufficient psu's in tier B for gaming?

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Oh, this is just a theoretical list. Tier B is amazing in this list.

Combining everything together would make things easier, since in this day and age the small things really don't matter for most normal consumers.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, 17030644 said:

Yeah, but this redone list won't surface for awhile. This current list will be continually updated with new PSUs until that list comes out.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, 17030644 said:

I understand the meaning of rank S in this case. 

heres my build I have planned that I'm getting parts for

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $274.79 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $74.99
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $180.77 @ Amazon
Memory Mushkin - Enhanced Silverline 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $98.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Western Digital - Green 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card Purchased For $379.99
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case $99.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120mm Fan $10.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 PWM 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan $12.49 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus - MG248QR 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor Purchased For $209.99
Keyboard Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $49.99
Mouse Logitech - G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse Purchased For $54.99
External Storage Seagate - Backup Plus 1 TB External Hard Drive Purchased For $49.99
Other Turquoise Cables Purchased For $93.46
Other Dell 1905FP 1280x1024 60hz 20ms Purchased
Other Fractal Design Meshify C Front Panel - Sky Blue $33.97
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1742.25
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-08 15:57 EST-0500  

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

Yeah, but this redone list won't surface for awhile. This current list will be continually updated with new PSUs until that list comes out.

in my opinion there should be S, S+, A, A+ so that you can classify them better

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Type Item Price
Memory Mushkin - Enhanced Silverline 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $98.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card Purchased For $379.99
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
External Storage Seagate - Backup Plus 1 TB External Hard Drive Purchased For $49.99
  Total $1742.25

bitfenix formula or corsair rmx at least, I'm pretty sure you can afford it

And I think the 9600K makes little sense there

I mean, expensive cooler, expensive motherboard, expensive fans, go i7 or go home!

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Type Item Price
  Total $1742.25

Yeah, that G1+ will do.

Why the 9600K, and not the 8700?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop