Sharing Internet and Hard Drive access through Ethernet

BrokenProgram01

I'm currently a college student and my dorm room is the farthest room from the Wifi Router because of this the internet connection gets pretty bad in my room. The problem is that I have one ethernet port in my room and I need to connect both my laptop and desktop to the ethernet. I was wondering if it is possible to have my internet connection pass through my desktop to my laptop as my desktop has two ethernet ports? Additional, I was wondering if it is possible to share access to my desktop hard drive with my laptop through this connection?

Edit: I can't use a switch as they are not allowed in my dorm

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just get a switch. 

You can share a folder in windows easily, google it, its in folder properties.

You can make a virtual switch on a pc.

I would if switches were allowed in my dorm :(

1 minute ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Any sort of router?

routers are allowed but with there wireless turned off.

optimally I would like to do it without a router as I have a cheap router but it limits my internet to 100mbps from gigabit

Theres routers that are like switches and they take a ethernet port and turn it into 5.

2 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Theres routers that are like switches and they take a ethernet port and turn it into 5.

do you happen to know any?

A Belkin surf wireless router is what i use here but you would have to configure it to turn off WiFi.

20 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

I would if switches were allowed in my dorm :(

Why would switches be banned in the dorms?

linus sex tips

6 minutes ago, waterjug said:

Why would switches be banned in the dorms?

To be honest I don't know they just are

6 hours ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

routers are allowed but with there wireless turned off.

optimally I would like to do it without a router as I have a cheap router but it limits my internet to 100mbps from gigabit

I'm very confused.. Routers are allowed but not switches? A switch is a part of every router, and adding serval routers to a network just creates a mess. 

Honestly, if that is the case i personally wouldn't care. Get a cheap ass 5 port switch and stick it under your bed. No one will know it's there.

Edit:

What really confuses me here is. How in the world would just random people know how to add serval routers up against eachother? It takes one mistake and everyone is without internet.

If people bring huge 52 port switches i can understand why they don't want those there. But a simple 5 port that lives off 5V? You could connect it to a battery.

Edited by AbsoluteFool

On 10/25/2018 at 12:57 AM, AbsoluteFool said:

I'm very confused.. Routers are allowed but not switches? A switch is a part of every router, and adding serval routers to a network just creates a mess. 

Honestly, if that is the case i personally wouldn't care. Get a cheap ass 5 port switch and stick it under your bed. No one will know it's there.

Edit:

What really confuses me here is. How in the world would just random people know how to add serval routers up against eachother? It takes one mistake and everyone is without internet.

If people bring huge 52 port switches i can understand why they don't want those there. But a simple 5 port that lives off 5V? You could connect it to a battery.

yeah I don't understand either but I'm planning to move off campus which should result in fewer rules that is why I was hoping to find a solution that wouldn't result in spending money for hardware